1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Unless things radically change (as in Lin's and the team's performance) between now and the time Beverley gets back, then Beverley is going to be starting again.

2. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

TV or in person doesn't matter. Anything you hear or see is arbitrary. What are you two? High school girls gossiping?! ****. Drop it, what needs to happen is this team needs to play some god damn defense . Especially on our perimeter

3. muas2010

muas2010 Member

LOL...according to YOU. If IT's 6/17 is called Lin torching, then his 10/17 game against Parker better be torching. Yes, really IT is playing at an All Star GP level in the last several games. Hate him or not IT is currently at 19PPG and 6.1 APG, that's solid numbers to be considered but know one cares about the Kings, right? STFU if you can't back your a$$ with numbers. This game was lost in the 1st half by Gay, Thornton, and McLemore having their way around the baskets. This game should not even come to Harden's said last few minutes, points by Jimmer, or IT.

4. hugo2000

hugo2000 Member

Actually, going by FG%, IT is the least 'torching' of the five kings' starters.:grin::grin:

5. PatBeverleyFan

I saw a dude wearing "ihatekobe" t-shirt cheering for Lin the whole time like a groupie. I was like wtf? He tried to dap Lin but after Lin ignored him, he got pissed :(

6. pnr

pnr Member

I like Lin coming off the bench as he seems to be more aggressive in that role. Lin's defense may be better for the starting unit though.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

my take is that lin probably thinks he's getting traded anyways and is just biding his time here. he honestly does not look like he has been giving full effort on either end of the court and has just been going through the motions.

8. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

I've always been in the "doesn't matter who starts" camp, and still is.

9. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Seriously, the only way Lin is ever going too start is if the following three things happen:
    1. McHale is gone.
    2. Harden is gone. Not going to happen.
    3. Lin is gone.

McHale has declared Harden the go to guy at this points whether his D is the worst out there or not. Lin's been playing solid defense since joining the current core of starters, but that's a little part in the bigger puzzle with Harden by his side so he's the most logical player to be left out in the dust.

10. bws

bws Member

The problem I have with Lin coming off the bench is he could make the starting unit even stronger and Lin and Dwight could make a formidable tandem. It's stupid not to exploit that. I wonder what Hakeem really thinks of Lin not playing with Dwight that much. I also don't see where Lin is playing that much differently off the bench vs. starting. The bigger difference is with or without Harden.

11. Tmac1Yao11

Tmac1Yao11 Member

let the guy start who can pass the ball to howard ! and lin definitely cant !

12. lwlee

lwlee Member

In the preseason, if the coaches had the foresight to see how Rockets players have done up till now, I don't think they would have made Bev a starter. Bev had a hot shooting preseason, as well as shown great defensive tenacity (game against Holiday was an eye-opener). But the regular season has shown, that Bev isn't much of a scorer or a playmaker and it seems teams are more wary of him so he doesn't have as big an impact on defense.

Lin is a high percentage shooter, always has been. 3rd pt shooting has been overrated recently because he got hot earlier in the season. But recently the high arcing shot is back. His defense is average, not elite but not terrible. He lost his starting job because the Rockets have plenty of scoring and needed an elite defensive stopper. Not sure if Bev is elite but he's better than Lin. The one thing that Lin doesn't do well which all great high assist PG have to do is break down the defense, create chaos so that there are open men. How many times has he driven into the paint, found no one and pass it to a guy with little time on the clock. It makes for a poor shot. Bev is no better. AB actually might be the best out of the 3. Of course Harden is better than all of them.

I didn't agree with making Lin a 6th man but warmed to the idea if Bev could keep up his preseason intensity. Bev has been hurt so much, it's hard to say. He did have a couple of decent games before he went out.

13. visible

visible Member

Lin should start. He is better all around. Yes, if team trust him more, he can pass to Howard. Never see Bev pass to Howard only to Harden.

14. Chemistry

Chemistry Member

Not surprising since the bar is set low for Beverly while Lin must consistently produce all star level offence and shut down defense to deserve the starting spot.

It's a wonderfully meritocratic system.

15. visible

visible Member

Totally true. There are two totally different bars for Lin and Bev. In order for Lin to start, he needs to perform all star level every game. I am very curious on why EVERY single time when someone brings up who should start pg position, Clutch never miss chance to say for sure Bev should start. Does he know something we don't know or he just want to chant for Bev to start.

16. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

No way. Lin was playing much better defense early in the year.

17. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Like or not both Clutch and the org (minus Les) are all on the same page. Like I stated a long time ago, the only way Lin is starting when Beverly comes back is if Houston goes undefeated. 2 losses...no way now.

18. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Just watch the game, you will that the Kings need to set picks to get around Lin's defense. To get around Harden's defense, his man just walks right by him while he's not paying attention.

19. dragician

dragician Member

i dont think that's the case.

20. hamsession

hamsession Member

No way Lin will ever become a starter again under McHale. Given a choice, McHale would start Flynn over Lin.