1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. bws

bws Member

There's not much difference in the quality of Lin's play starter or off the bench. The reason to put Lin on the bench is to have a half-way decent bench because he's playing with Harden regardless so the Harden argument doesn't add up. The reason to start him is for him to play with the better players and get more chemistry with Dwight. He's shown he can guard starting PGs so the Bev's better defense argument isn't so strong anymore either unless you are those 4-5 posters that keep harping on how bad they think Lin's defense is.

2. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

I've been here since like 02

And I'll take this guy who joined in 13 over a lot of you other guys in this thread

What Chemistry said in his previous post holds a lot of truth.

1 person likes this.
  3. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

But yet when people call out Harden who we've seen DOESNT EVEN TRY, people rush to bash Lin.

Does the d need to get better overall? Yes.

What does it say when guys like Lin and Parsons put in effort on D and some games we see it still doesn't matter? I dunno

But for Harden to not even try on defense/saving himself for the offensive end is inexcusable. Even worse when we have people saying Thomas had a great game and he was more or less why the Rockets lost the game.

4. AVoiceInACrowd

I wish that were true. There's way too many sophomoric arguments. The most annoying for me are the "trust me" guys. Might work for a pedophile, but why would anyone over the age of 5 trust a stranger just because they ask them to.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

wow, went a little dark on that one.

6. AVoiceInACrowd

Lol. I was thinking the same thing when I wrote it. But hit enter anyway.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What stats, what info?

You mean a couple of box scores which conveniently support your narrative. Yet you are fine with completely dismissing lineup statistics which account for every possession and is the best apples to apples comparison?

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

All of this has ZERO to do with what I posted. Absolutely nothing.

What does Harden's accountability on defense have to do with who should start between Lin/Bev.

9. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

truth of the thread especially the last point. Many of the fans here, if you even say anything that's not praising lin in the slightest, it's taken as if you're attacking every one of those people, and they take it personally, which automatically labels you as a "hater" lol.

quite pathetic, but whatever. the sad part is, as long as he's on the team, wither he starts or not, this debate is going to be forever lasting until he gets traded to another team.

10. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

I once thought Lin was one of the better backcourt defenders in the league, but I do not like how his defensive game has progressed since joining the Rockets.... I don't know whether it's bad coaching or bad habits Lin has developed.....

Lin at one time was good at keeping his man outside and slipping by screens.... While occasionally going full in on creating havoc double teaming the man in the paint, when the man in the paint curls away from Lin's man. He got a lot of steals, and only once in a while got burned by a quick pass to his man for the open shot. But now, he constantly commits "half-way", often tipping the man in the paint to pass to Lin's man, who still has the open shot, yet no longer creating havoc in the paint.... (Lin's steals are WAY down.) It's as if Lin is being coached to play mediocre defense....

And now, since Dwight isn't quite the pick-and-roll defender that Asik was, Lin's regression in defense is now apparent......

Lin has shown flashes of his great defense of the past (most notably the San Antonio game), but I believe the short leash will ultimately be his undoing.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

You're embarrassing. Numbers and analysis have been pointed out to you and all you have is whining about someone's join date.

Have you actually posted anything in this thread besides "I say so" ?

12. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

To be fair, Bev had Lin coming off the bench to help the team get wins. Lin doesn't have a Lin, or even a Bev, coming off the bench. We wouldn't have lost that last game if we had more production from the bench.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thing is, for fans like chemistry, I'm not good at imbedding video here, and I'm at work anyway (so I couldn't if I wanted).

If I could, I'd post videos of Jeremy---or James---or, especially, Aaron Brooks---getting prison-raped on defense.

And even if I posted video, why would I bother? The first rejoinder would be,

"But Harden is worse."

Which I have conceded. Willingly.

If we suddenly traded Harden and Asik for Rondo and other players and 2014 first round draft picks, I'll go along with it, because we need a real point guard and team cohesion more than anything. And we could use the picks and whatnot to get other players who understand the concept of team ball.

But that won't happen.

Lin is Jordan Farmar with twice the paycheck. Sometimes Lin's real good. Sometimes he's hot garbage. When he's the former, I'll say so, but it's with the sinking feeling in the sack that the latter will show up the next game. Which, more often than not, he does.

Same thing with Harden, but in reverse. Sometimes exhausted, spent-last-night-at-strip-clubs, don't-worry-about-the-loss-we'll-get-it-back, "we"-need-to-bring-it-every-night James Harden helps us lose. Then the next game he'll remind us he's one of the most talented players in the NBA. Even if you know Bad James will show up again.

Now, if we want to put on our ruby slippers and click our heels together three times and say, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home," and send Lin to D'Antoni's Lakers where, suddenly unfettered by a third-rate JV coach, he'll suddenly return to LINSANITY, then I'll be okay, too. And Lin's Legions can post on the Lakers message boards about how rotten the rest of us are.

In fact, I thought Lakers fans were maddening. Lin's Legions + Lakers Fans seems a match made in heaven.

Get'er done, Morey!

Maybe, maybe not, but I haven't been sitting at home on my winter break from college watching the Sacramento game on super slow-mo and then breaking down every stinking play to "prove" Jeremy Lin was riding a white stallion down from heaven during the Sacramento game while angels were singing out of his butt.

But I have wasted a lot of time in rejoinders with all of you. My God, I can't even say, "Harden and Brooks sucked, too".

Because it's never Lin's fault.

I feel like Neo in "Matrix Reloaded". I'm on the side of right but fifty thousand Agent Smiths keep multiplying, running out of the woodwork at me.

Enough. I'll leave this for the Agent Smith circle jerk.

#253 ROXTXIA, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Lol I agree that D'Antoni is a pretty bad coach, but come on. He did very well in Phoenix back in the day and went to the WCF. And before this six game losing streak the Lakers are on, he was actually doing pretty good considering the absolute **** talent that they have.

And while I think Lin's numbers may improve even more if he's on the Lakers, I agree that he's not resurrecting Linsanity

15. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Lin needs to go. Too bad Morey gave him a contract that's hard to move.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

Can you not type like a turbo nerd and use some maturity? You're greatly exaggerating your so called ordeals and have done nothing but playing the victim, which is ridiculous since you've been the one ridiculing people for their supposed allegiance and join dates.

I can't even make sense of what you're trying to say in the first half of the post.

17. bws

bws Member

We wouldn't have loss this game if we had 4 good possessions rather than Harden trying to do it all. The game was all but won before that.

18. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Doesn't matter if Lin starts or not, his talent is not being utilized in this system. Should trade him to get a better defender

19. bws

bws Member

What a ridiculous meltdown. Get a grip.

20. bws

bws Member

Or you can get a better coach and see where Lin's potential takes him along with the rest of the young players on the team.