1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin: "Honestly, I preferred New York."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jul 18, 2012.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Member

That was my take on it before .. seems he had the feeling that knicks management and players didn't really believe in him.How can you blame him when they are trying so hard to bring in other pg's.

2. daRox

daRox Member

Did you plagiarized that, too?

3. emjohn

emjohn Member

No problem at all with the comments, in fact I appreciate him being openly honest. As far as he knew, he went out to sign an offer sheet with the expectation that the Knicks would match. They could/should have retained him by offering 3/$16M immediately. He would have taken it. Woodson shot the Knicks in their other foot with his "billion dollars" comment that prompted the revised offer sheet. And then there's Dolan, who told Lin to go out and prove his market value and got pissed when he did. This being the man that reaped a massive profit off of Linsanity playing for peanuts last season.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Or you could avoid the poison pill by signing him yourself on your own terms, if he's THAT valuable to your success and your team in the long run.

5. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Honestly Lin, We wanted D. Williams, C. Paul, D. Rose, J. Wall, HELL GORAN DRAGIC!

but hey we are glad to have you and hope you grow into super stardom.

6. Tenchi

Tenchi Member

Don't remember quite clearly but I think Morey said he would make an exception for stars. Whether or not Lin is a star is debatable to people though.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Depends on the circumstance. The Knicks were in a vulnerable situation with their cap. The new rules created the possibility that the Knicks wouldn't be able to match because it would be too damaging to the organization's financial future. Since it was a possibility they could lose him for a few extra $, they should have negotiated with him directly and tried to lock him up quick.

With Lowry, we had the cap space to sit back and just match his offer. We were also willing to let him walk if he got over paid. Not the case with the Knicks and Lin. They miscalculated. They got Moreid.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Smart choice Lin.

9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Hopefully, Stephen A. can stop using that "Lin refused to play at 85%" argument as a reason why the Knicks are better off and all he wanted was the money.

10. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

We get it, you don't like Lin and you're entitled to your opinion. But your obsession with Lin speaks of something deeper. Did he do something to a family member of yours? Did you get picked on by an Asian dude or an Ivy Leaguer? Whatever it was, you might want to get that checked out...there are professionals you can talk to. Good luck.

11. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Not surprised that he wanted to stay. But it doesn't matter, he understands that he is very blessed to be in this situation and im sure he is happy with being a Rocket.

12. tzou88

tzou88 Member

b/c he did it with statistics duh...

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did miss out on the discussions in the stickied thread? Who the hell's gonna take Lin when he'd make 15M the next year, and bail NY out of a ton of lux tax money? Plus. Dolan essentially gave that team to Thuggello and his sidekick JR Smith.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I think the following happened:

1) The Knicks didn't really understand the new CBA when the offseason began
    2) The Knicks figured that no team would even bother with Lin since they promised to match and ultimately Lin would just come back and sign the max offer that they had available
    3) The Knicks got a crash course in the CBA and freaked out, realizing they just couldn't justify Lin's contract

15. VanityHalfBlack

Sigmund misses Slovenian schlong in mouth...

16. JohnQ

JohnQ Member

he just dont want to be hated like Lebron

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who says its a new and novel concept? Letting the market decide is something that was way back before. ANd it has its pros and cons on moves that were done Pre Morey:

Con of letting market set the price: PHX priced Nash out of Dallas's budget

Con of not letting the market decide: Orlando outbids itself and offers Lewis the max

18. professorjay

professorjay Member

As an aside, it drives me crazy when fans say 'if he doesn't want to be here, I don't want him here!'

If every player only chose their ideal city/team, we'd only have 10 teams in the league. Most players (especially early in their career) go after the money, which I have no problem with.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

This part of the story needed to be fleshed out a bit more. I have read other accounts where it was Lin who came back to the Rockets on this. If it was Lin, then it undermines the preference claim. Anyone know of something with the details of how this went down?

20. Moahst

Moahst Member

Smart move by Lin here. Basic damage control and hopefully it will put an end to the NY media's Lin-spin. As a Rockets fan, I'm encouraged by this.