1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Dragic's 3PT% was 0.319 as the #1 option. If he really want a dead eye shooter as our PG, why not Steve Blake?

2. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Because dragon is a superb defender, and as the #1 option, u take more bad shots because u must. Dragon on spot ups is dead eye.

3. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

No. They will do what best for their business. Not for the team.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

TBH, who starts isn't nearly as important as who finishes. Not closing games is more indictive of what a coach thinks of a player than not starting him. There were clearly times when the coaches didn't trust Lin last year even though he was starter, because Beverley/Douglas were closing games.

5. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

This is not true. Far from the truth. Do you really believe saying Lin is not a superstar gets you labelled as a hater?? No. It's the other way around, anyone who defends Lin gets labelled a non-Rockets fan. It's just upsetting that people are so unsupportive of a player

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

ummm... what?

7. verysimplejason

Anything for the win.

Aside from a 6th man/PG, he can also play some SG minutes as Harden backup. What I suggest though would be to start Lin to kickstart him then get him out early in the game and when Harden needs a rest, insert him back to lead the second unit. That way, there'll be a continuation. The only problem here is that the backup PG for Lin should be a good shooter. Sorry, but Bev isn't a good shooter nor somebody who can initiate an offense. Bev is at best a good source of energy coming from the bench but unless he improves his shooting, he's not worth the extra minutes. We need to sign a good shooter/defender for this to work. I prefer somebody like Hamilton/Bowen (Riddick?) of old.

I still believe that Lin and Harden can work together but having continuity in the offensive sets is also nice that's why I also believe that they can also come separately at times.

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

U need to close with defense. Honestly, that's y SO many rockets blood fans love Beverley, because of his defensive tenacity. Honestly, if Lin didn't get blown by 1000 times last year, I wouldn't say a thing about him. Is y I miss dragon, Defense Wins Championships, and Harden is our pure scorer, with D Mo in the same mold. Everyone else needs to be that lock down defender.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Really, REALLY like the idea of Lin leading the second unit as a spark. Other teams would get no rest from constant attack.

10. raskol

You're not hating. Others are. There's nothing wrong with your idea except its been discussed to death already last year and mostly shot down as an idea. This is because Harden plays nearly 40 mins a game anyways.

11. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Morey and McHale stuck with Lin as starter because he was young and developing. Bev showed himself as a skilled and capable PG towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. This offseason Morey has been shopping Lin and drafted a range shooting PG. If Lin has not shown solid improvement in his shooting by next season he will be traded or anchoring the bench, I promise you.

12. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

The reason why is because if he comes off the bench, then we would suck, like the last 6 games of the season where we could barely beat sorry teams like Phoenix and Sacramento. And that Phoenix game we won was because of that stupid goal tending call. When we have Lin, we score 120 points per game.

13. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Because he isn't the #1 scoring option. That's why Lin was able to get three 100ths of an assist more per game.

Because he handles the ball even more than #2 & #3 in the league, Kobe Bryant & Kevin Durant. Only the Rockets offense relied on Harden's ability to create more than the others needed to. They had other stars on their squads.

I would rather he show a willingness to pass to the open man in those late game situations. There were a number of shots forced over double teams that were especially cringe worthy. He shot the 3 as well as most of his teammates, despite the attention from defenses. It was his first year in the role, and it's easy for guys to get tunnel vision if teammates miss a few consecutive shots.

Harden is just a better player. That isn't an insult, and doesn't mean I don't think Lin is good. Just be a little objective about the situation, rather than getting defense because of an opposing view.

14. raskol

Frankly speaking, I'm not sure you've been watching the games. You say you doubt Lin can shoot 37% from 3, but he shot better than that the entire second half of the season. Why would you doubt something he's already shown he can do? Secondly, Lins defense is good. HHis stats, advanced stats, the eye test all confirm this. You know that Lin burns and gets by most pg's known to have good defense as well and Bev gets burned more than Lin as well, right? It's frustrating really. It's the nature of defending pgs.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yes because it happens to me all the time, you may not do it but LOF are crazy. They will say anything and everything to put Lin on top. Anything to the contrary and you are labeled a racist and a Lin hater. I had a thread I created where I asked who was comfortable with Jeremy Lin as a point guard and I got flamed by LOF's.

I said we would go after Dwight and possibly trade Lin and I got called a hater nevermind that it was just my opinion as far basketball decisions that would be made for the team. I dont hate Jeremy Lin and I am not racist. I lived in Asia for 4 years and Japan in particular has the most polite people and almost no gun crime, it's amazing. But the way the LOF's talked I'm a racist for saying that he could be traded or he needs to be a better shooter or we should trade him if we can get another superstar. I'm here for the team not just for Jeremy Lin.

16. verysimplejason

Hmmm. I think this scenario needs to be corrected. Harden will be able to devote more energy in the defensive end and may make him more efficient if he's not given too much responsibility handling the ball and running the offense.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

But we would still have Lin. He would still get more minutes than Beverly. Are you familiar with the 6th man role??

18. trock

trock Member

So? If you're so sure of that, then what's the point of the thread?

19. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Is Beverley a championship caliber starting PG? Hell no. Neither is Lin, but I'd take Lin over Beverley if I had to.

20. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Because we're on a Rockets messageboard, talking about the team and rotation is what you do on a team forum. If we were talking about getting Jemar Lincoln to play 6th man I wouldn't be getting any hate.