1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. trock

trock Member

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. Seems to me Morey and McHale think Lin is better as the starting PG so OP's issue is with them. The real question is 'why the opposition to starting PG?' considering Lin and Harden seemed fine to me in their first season together. They both can improve.

Lin is simply the better PG and the idea that Lin is better off playing without Harden and with the second unit completely ignores the fact that Harden plays 38 mins a game. Regardless of whether you're starting or coming off the bench, if you're a PG on the Rockets, you're playing with Harden. Honestly, if there was a better floor general on the market, I would love to get him because Harden leaves a lot to be desired as a decision maker as well. But the fact is they're both young and both just finished their first season as starters. There isn't anyone on the market that stands out as a clear improvement, so I'm patient enough to watch them improve this coming year.

1 person likes this.
  2. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Then why does Lin average more assists than Harden? Why does Harden lead the league in turnovers? Why does he ignore the open man and try to score by himself most of the time?

3. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I don't think I have ever seen a post this long in which every sentence is false.

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

The funny thing is I think you actually believe that.... Noone thinks Lin is a superstar. But when all kinds of people keep constantly 24/7 talking about trading Lin or how Lin should be on the bench, while literally rewriting facts and changing what he's done just because they want to marginalize him, people write back defending him. Do you really believe Lin should be a starter if Kin shoots "reliably" from 3? Then, considering he shot near 40% from three around the last half of the season, you agree he should start right? These haters are distorting history and facts. Don't listen to them, bro. Lin ran the offense quite a lot and was a major contributor to the Rockets offense and defense. Saying he barelybgitvaby touched so he should come off the bench though Harden played like 40 mins a game last year, is straight hogwash and another one of the haters agendas. ABJ.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Damn that Harden! we would have gotten Dwight Howard if it weren't for hi'..... oh wait! :p

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Common sense don't work around here bro.

7. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

What's important to remember, I think, is that no one on ClutchFans is running the team. So, I would not let any of what is said here get you too upset.

8. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

To add to this: True 6th men frequently get as many or more minutes than the starters. Manu and Harden got more than the starting SGs every year discounting injuries.

34 Harden
    24 Lin
    24 Bev
    14 [Whoever]

give or take a few. That would mean Lin plays on 29% of Harden's minutes. Likewise Harden would play for 42% of Lin's minutes. That would be down from about 74% and 83% respectively. Some other scenarios:

34H
    26L
    22B
    14W

Lin in for 35% of Harden's minutes
    Harden in for 46% of Lin's minutes

34H
    22L
    26B
    14W

Lin in for 24% of Harden's minutes
    Harden in for 36% of Lin's minutes

9. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Your well reasoned thread has been discussed gizzillian times. We dont need another Lin thread.

10. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Chandler Parsons played in summer league last year after an entire season as a starter, Beverley playing in it says nothing about what the coaches think of his maturity. And maybe he knew about the no foul out rule and took advantage of it? Using summer league as proof of anything is silly.

11. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

Nobody is hating on Lin!!! I dont know why people are making it seem that way. Some people just think that Lin's scoring abilities would be better if he were to come off the bench. I personally want to keep Lin around but id like to see him come off the bench where he can be a primary scoring option as he was with the Knicks running the pick and roll with Asik against other teams benches.

12. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Because he is at present out most superior Point Guard.
    If we had obtained the services of Chris Paul then I would have
    Paul starting. I do however expect a much improved 2013/14 Lin,
    over a poor season in 2012/13. Lin should be so more effective
    now that we have a scoring Center.:p Y

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I think for Beverley he shouldn't take advantage of no foul out rule. His target should be aggressive without committing the foul, and summer league is a great place to practice it.

14. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

As a reasonable LOF, the coaches and management will do whats best for the team. Its that Lin as the 2nd PG, so be it.

1 person likes this.
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If Lin shoots 40% from three, then I would be the hapiest guy in the world. The thing is I am all about winning, I could give a damn who is on our team, I want the Rockets to win. I like Jeremy Lin but I am not blinded by that fact. I still think him and Asik on the floor while Harden and Dwight are on the bench would take us to another level. It would probably allow Harden to rest more. Everything you said actually proved my post that you quoted lol, it's funny really.

16. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

We were going to get Dwight Howard regardless. We were the only team not named the Lakers who had cap space.
    And what this team really needs is a superstar PF to go with Howard. That's worth 2 "superstar" SG's.

17. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

With his last 3 seconds passer? With the boring ISO plan?

18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Face palm*

19. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

My god, we can't even enjoy the news of having Dwight Howard without Jeremy Lin threads multiplying like horny rabbits. The reason why Patrick Beverley does so well is because he comes off the bench to provide a spark. He is allowed to play without the mental reminders of playing defense without having to foul or conserving energy to make it down the stretch.

To be a starter in the league, you have to play defense without fouling, you have to use energy to play both ends of the floor while going against the best that the other team has to offer. Patrick Beverley does what he does so well because he plays with reckless abandon. You try to place shackles on a machine that only knows how to play one gear, you start to get stagnant results.

If anything, let's just hold onto Jeremy in his starting role, if he doesn't do so hot, then we can trade him before the deadline. Beverley, even though he is more equipped to play next to Harden, does not make him a starter in the league.

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

This has to be the post of the year haha! I love it! Anyway, if Lin can get his 3p% up to 37-40%, I'll also be one of the happiest fans, I just highly doubt that comes to fruition, and I vote to ship him out, and bring dragon back.