1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Point also with the addition of Dwight, make BEV's defensive powers to stay in front to neutralize drives redundant. LOL who wants to drive to the hoop with Dwight there?

2. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

HUGE difference!! from Lin/Howard combo.

Harden like to take his own shots ( nothing wrong with that ), pass to Howard is second option for Harden, in contrast, Lin look to pass first before his own offensive game.

As for Kobe/Dwight...are you kidding me. All insiders know Howard hated playing with Kobe, Howard had to take the scrapes left over from Kobe. Lin on the other hand, more than happy to set the table up for Howard.

3. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

BEV with Asik makes alot more sense.

4. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

It's true, Bev doesn't throw a lot of lobs or make many entry passes in general, so he matches better with Asik.

He might match better with Harden too but him matching better with Asik is definitely a big part of it.

5. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

For the one 1 2 punch. Lin offensive to work. He needs to be running with Dwight.
    Otherwise with Asik it's bound to fail. Lin is not enough of a offensive driving beast like Harden to do it solo.

Well this makes logical sense, but ..
    Anyhow he might be forced to run this unit. if he goes 6th man.
    Lin/Asik
    note that during the practice in LA with the team he was praising TJones, any reason? could be a "nash amare" like combo.

6. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

Think we're going to see every type of combination in the beginning of the season until we find the right one. Integrating superstars is not that easy, so I think it may take some time

I have no idea how the minutes/rotations would work but the key is to have at least one of Howard/Asik and Lin/Harden on the floor at all times.

Defense: If we can somehow keep Asik happy all season in a back-up role (very tough) we are an elite team. The extra production Howard gives us over Asik is not NEARLY as important as the upgrade Asik is over Smith as the back-up 5. I want 48 minutes of elite rebounding and rim-protection. I think keeping Asik happy is THE key to our season.

Offense: I always thought we played our best ball last year around Christmas when Lin and Harden were being staggered. I have no idea why we went away from that. Simply put Harden and Lin are our only playmakers. It makes sense to always have at least one playmaker on the floor. I don't really care how this manifests itself, whether Lin is a 6th man or not, but every time last season when both were on the bench, I shook my head.

That having been said, I think to maximize our talents, Howard should be with Lin as much as possible. Simply because Lin needs a roll-man more. Harden can get his no matter who he's playing with, his game is more focused on getting to the line. I definitely understand the logic behind having your best players play together ie Howard/Harden. But for a more balanced 48 minute attack I think a mainly Howard/Lin and Harden/Asik based game plan for 48 minutes is ideal. Or if I can attempt a silly equation:

(Lin/Howard - Lin/Asik) > (Harden/Howard - Harden/Asik)

But of course: Harden/Howard > Lin/Howard

Have no idea how to make it work with minutes and rotations. But I think if we always have some combination of those players on the floor, we will be very, very scary.

7. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

You need to take a class in logic bro, though it's not gonna help you much. The sentence above was an example of reflecting back how dumb you sound in a majority of posts. Here's one more for you. --> That's what I love about LOHs. It's fun to see that they're at least of below average intelligence.

8. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

with the Harden/Howard , we have yet to see. Has Harden ever played with attacking dominant centre before?

9. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

please no personal attacks , lets keep these debates cvil.

10. raskol

This is completely not true. Quick bursts to the left or right when Lin overanticipates the help is not the same as just going around him like Lin does to most people. Whether he is good or not on defense may be debatable but a lot of what you're saying does not match what happened in the games.

Just curious, how many games have you seen last year? I do think that there were a few bad games defensively by Lin, but the vast majority of games, he was a defensive net plus. Probably our 2nd/3rd best defensive player all year long.

11. raskol

But these dudes keep baiting though. Noone else is posting hate until the negativity is too suffocating to abide...........

12. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

note that if Lin is paired up with Dwight, all he needs to do if they drive is to funnel the drive to Dwight. doesn't need to stay in front

13. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

just ignore them

14. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

You would still have Beverly on the court.

It makes sense. Lin could end up with more shot attempts and a higher percentage.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

You don't bench you're best player and play him as a 6th man. The coach would have to be an utter moron

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

As an aside, another reason why Lin was such a bad fit in the Rockets offense last year was that the Rockets front office emphasize not taking mid-range shots so much, relegating yet more of Lin's value and skillset wasted.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

So the way to respond to what you perceive to be something stupid... is to write something even more stupid? Well, I'm glad you like to stoop to the level of someone whom you believe has below average intelligience. Props to you.

18. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

I can see the pt/game goes down for Lin as there are one more option beside Harden and Parsons in Howard. But Lin TO will definitely go down as Howard catch better and can better set up in lower block to receive entry pass. No doubt Lin assist will go up too with the addition of Howard.

Lin do not need to score in the high teen to be effective, all he need to do is scoring somewhere between 12 -14, run the offense, and be the 'glue' among Howard, Harden and Parsons. Every team need a 'glue' type player to be successful. You can not just get five all stars and expect a title, it only happens in video game.

19. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Actually except for a 2 week period I watched every game. On fact I have watched about every Rockets game since there has been a Houston Rockets since the early 70's. So don't be stupid just because someone disagrees with you. I gave also seen every great team and players in that time.

Lin is decent speed but not great speed. His defense is OK to decent but not good. His lateral movement is barely acceptable NBA wise. If he is defending other NBA players that are not great he is good defender but if they are good to great players and have good foot work and cross dribbles he is lacking. He is beat many times but I will say that he is areal good defensive team mate and that is a big plus because that is seeming rare now days. I will also say that it is not all his fault as when he is stopped on PnR's a team mate is supposed to pick up his man and he slides over to another opposing player. His team mates seldom come over to cover his man that got loose.

The whole team has at times played good defense but often slacks off. Toward the end of the year and the playoffs they started to gel in the team defense and play well for most of games and I expect them to continue improving in this regard this coming year.

20. Amir's Johnson

According to my sources, some of our 1's will have playing time at the 2.