1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. CertifiedTroll

2. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

I'd say just trade him to the Wizards and pay John Wall $16 million/year. Lin fans and doubters will both love this idea. Lin fans believe he'll do much better than John Wall leading a team. Lin doubters will love getting rid of the Lin fans and believe that John Wall is a much better player. Win win.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

While this is most likely a troll post, I will bite on the assumption are being serious. First of all, no GM in the league would trade Wall for a player like Lin unless it came with Asik. It takes a special kind of r****d to think trading Lin for Wall straight up would work. The combination of both makes the trade then horrible for the Rockets. Secondly, Wall still puts us in the same position we are in; having two redundant guards when Harden is on the court. What the Rockets need is an off the guard PG as long as Harden fancies himself the actual PG for our team. That said, between Harden playing PG or camping out on the perimeter, I would rather he play PG. Now if Harden discovers his off the ball game again and is willing to let Lin play PG a lot more, then by all means, lets see how that works out.

4. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

I'm a Lin fan. No objection to Lin as the sixth man but I think he's your second best guard and you need him on the floor 30+ min. He knows the role he needs to adjust to now and there's no reason why he won't.

But if he doesn't I don't think it's a problem him coming off the bench.

5. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

That is what I meant. Thank you. I also agree that some of it is bad judgments instead of court vision. It is just I keep reading how great Lins court vision is and I don't see it.

6. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I agree with you. However court vision and defense comes from experience, we shouldn't worry too much about that consider Lin has good work ethic. I am more concern with his shooting forms, notice where his right elbow is pointing everytime he shoots, with his current shooting form Im skeptical that he could be consistent

7. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

Hmm.. interesting point of view about our PG. Only several things there I disagree.

What about Beverly or Parsons, do you think they got an OK court vision?

The one I agree that we will just have to see how they play next season.

8. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

iJHolmes only posts about Lin and every post slyly pretends to be neutral but isn't

9. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

All these people saying Lin is overpaid and want him to be the 6th man. Imagine what will they say if Lin is not starting....."8 mil contract for an off the bench pg...blah, blah, blah...."

Lin can't win under the eyses of LOH and ABL

10. dr_tool

dr_tool Member

Im not a Lin fan ... I just think Bev is better coming off the bench then Lin. Lin should start.

11. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

A lot of people want Lin to come off the bench so he can be the predomiant ball handler and just dominate 2nd units. The problem is he's not THAT good of a scorer to just completely dismantle 2nd units, and more importantly, let's be honest.. our bench is pretty inept offensively. All defensive focus would be on Lin and that would further diminsih how effective he'll be.

Lin started all of last season last year so why change now? As the year went on he learned how to play off ball and shot a pretty good 3PT percentage. He's continuing to work on his shooting this offseason and with a whole summer to gel I think he and Harden will be fine. Besides, I want to see how he does with Dwight before deciding to just bring him off the bench.

12. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

The coaching staff needs to figure out what is best for the Rockets and then Jlin. Not the other way around. The Rockets pay him $8 mln, so he will be used according to their wishes and not ours. I wish him nothing but the best, but he does have work to do going to his left and midrange jumper.

13. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Reminds me exactly of a couple of years ago with Parsons and Budinger. Even though Parsons was 2nd round rookie, he fit in better with the first unit and Budinger fit in better with the 2nd unit.

Lin should be a backup because we have much more defense in the 2nd unit than first.

If Lin starts our backup unit is.......

Beverley
    Williams
    Garcia
    Dmo
    Asik

No one in that unit can really create on offense. Also would partially eliminate our terrible guard defense.

14. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Lin's defense is quite good and is a seriously underrated aspect of his game.

15. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

PG: Jeremy Lin
    SG: Landry Fields
    SF: Billy Walker
    PF: Jared Jeffries
    C: Tyson Chandler

You wanna talk about offensively inept... Lin is a combo guard through and through.

16. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Eh the debate can be had about whether lin's defense is good or not. The point is Beverley's is better no question, and Beverley is fine on offense being a spot up shooter.

Lin could be a Jarrett Jack type backup by creating for the shooters (Dmo, Garcia, Williams), and running the pick and roll with Asik/Howard.

This has absolutely nothing to do with who is the best player, and everything to do with the best fit.

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

no

No he isn't. He is decent but he lacks good lateral movement. He can and is beat often by simply going around him.

18. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

I'm reading a lot of excuses why Lin shouldn't come off the bench, like:

1)He is the best pg ( that may be..... But him being the best pg is irrelevant if he is not allowed to be main ball handler)

2)He is paid too much ( he can be paid and be 6th man)

3)He is learning his role with first unit( why make him become a spot up shooter when he has the potential to be a play maker?)

4)Why change things now ( play to your strength, it's not about pride)

5)He won't get enough minutes( how do people know this? I'm sure the rockets would love to have harden rest as long as possible, if another legit play maker was on the floor. And playing with harden for 10 mins is even fine...... Just not 30+, because it takes away his strength.) I think he would get in the mid 20mins coming off the bench.

6) he is becoming a better 3 point shooter( ? ok but is three point shooting a strength of his? No, he has play maker potential. Let him do that, what he is use to)

7) if Harden would just not ball hog, be a spot up shooter, play the 2 guard the correct way then Lin could do what he does best( Harden is who everybody should want to have the ball, he is the bigger threat to teams and has more offense than Lin..... The guy is an all star)

I hope Mchale at least tries Lin off the bench.... If not, I don't see a place for Lin on the team( not a bash, it's just use him to his strength on the second unit or not at all) he would be the best pg for our second unit.

19. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Lin can be the first sub to the bench with Beverley as 6th man an play just as many minutes without Harden, without being a 6th man

20. lucnguye92

lucnguye92 Member

Can you imagine how our record would be if we had reversed the substitutions between Bev and Lin?

Bev starts for the first 6 minutes, Lin subs in plays the 1st quarter. Lin starts the 2nd quarter, Bev checks back in during the half mark. Finishes out, possibly with Lin as Harden checks out to half time.

Lin sits, 3rd quarter starts, Harden and Lin are both out. Both will likely finish the quarter depending on situationals, Lin could come in for Bev the last 4 minutes. Finishes the 4th quarter as Bev sits.