1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I like Lin, dont get me wrong. I just think the team would benefit with him coming off the bench.

2. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I don't dislike the idea, I too have suggested it in the past. As much as I hate the Knicks, JR Smith was critical for the Knicks this year as a 6th man. Jeremy can play that similar role. And oh yeah he will still have his cult following as the 6th man, if successful and bring energy off he bench (hmmm sounds familiar??). But for me the question is mchale. Will the coach allow Lin to play "his game" even when running the second unit? I think Lin himself would agree based on what he said at the exit interview, that it's the quality of the minutes that matter most, not the number of minutes. I would even go so far as to say that he would average more points as the 6th man than as the 5th option starter. It would not surprise me if this is the direction the team goes by midseason...

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I Agree, but that opinion will get you labeled a LOH.

4. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

harden plays 40+ minutes and Lin isn't a player that you put him in and rocks immediately.
    6th isn't a solution.

Just trade him to a team that can use him properly.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why don't you ask the people why expressed an opinion by making a reply in the same thread(s) in which they expressed that opinion instead of making a new thread about it? Would seem to be how you'd get an answer.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed we need a three point threat at the one. But if its not all hail the Linsanity (who's not overpaid by the way) then you're a hater.

7. PhiSlamma

PhiSlamma Member

I don't agree with this feeling. And I agree with it even less with Howard now on board. Lin's passing ability is needed now more than ever, including in the pick and roll.

Because I can't see Beverley getting 29/6/8 along with Harden going for 46 points in a hard-hitting win against the Thunder. The idea that Lin can't play with Harden is a false one, in my opinion. And Lin and Harden's ability to play off of one another should only improve in their second season together.

To this point in time, Lin has displayed more ability and performance than has Beverley. Particularly on offense. That doesn't mean Beverley can't improve. Still, I would rather have the best-scoring and best-passing point guard as the starter rather than as a guy coming off the bench.

Before Houston starts to get into experiments like Harden as 6th man or Manu as 6th man, I think it's important to put all the best players at each position out on the floor with Dwight Howard and see how that works. That unit needs to develop chemistry, learn each other, etc.

If, after next year, it becomes clearer that Houston could use more scoring punch off the bench, then we can take a look at Lin as 6th man then. But let's not put the cart before the horse in the 1st year with Howard.

1 person likes this.
  8. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

Lol phuk a 6th man. Hes here to be the starting PG. Hes better than Bev with the pts and assists. stop with this nonsense.

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I actually think Hardens minutes will be coming down to around 34-35 a game this year. With Dwight, Harden has less of a burden of carrying the offensive load. I think we will be able to afford to sit him more.

10. keldraco

keldraco Member

If i can recall the team tried to get howard last season too but failed. The whole plan was to play PNR with Lin/Howard. Ofcause everything change after we got harden

11. Terry Teagle

Terry Teagle Member

Harden gets 38 minute a game so if Lin comes off the bench, he would get at most 10 minutes without Harden.

So if Lin gets, say 32 minutes, off the bench -- that's 22 minutes w/ Harden and 10 w/o Harden.

Currently Lin as a starter gets 32 minutes as a starter with about 30 minutes with Harden and 2 w/o Harden.

So the benefits of Lin on the bench is a difference of 8 minutes w/o Harden. Is this worth it? I don't know, maybe.

12. Camaro ZL1

Camaro ZL1 Member

Just trade him, why pay him so much just to bench him? I'm sure he'll be happier off as a starter somewhere else. Bev is a dirty player in my opinion.

13. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Lin and Asik were acquired after we swung and missed on Howard.

14. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

I know this isn't the thread for this but if the Rockets could have someone like Corey Brewer coming off the bench who can score then having Beverley coming off the bench wouldn't be an issue. Is there any possibilities or even the Cap space to get him?

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

And now, he's no better than 4th option, possibly 5th. Too expensive to be a last option.

16. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

Bev is the team's best backup PG. Lin is the team's best PG and Harden is the team's best SG. what's so hard about that? simply play each of them at their best roles and the whole team benefit. no need for any more silliness.

17. keldraco

keldraco Member

howard is still the 1st target but Les was going after Lin no metter what right?

18. cw3k

cw3k Member

Hardee's jobbisbto score, he shouldn't be handling the ball. If harden is handling the ball, then Howard will be in the same dilemma as a Lakers. Lin should be the primary ball handler.

Why start an inferior pg. As many of you pointed out, Bev is a spot up shooter aka sg. Only reason he is in the PG position is because he is too short. If he can direct the offense at Lin's level, then giving him a chance to start might work. Unfortunately he cannot direct the offense.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Isn't the whole point of making him the 6th man so he doesn't interfere with Harden?

20. Disciple2123

Disciple2123 Member

He's not a dirty player at all!! He hustles!! And we cant trade him because teams are seeing him as a bench player not a starter and nobody is willing to take on his contract for bench minutes but we are in a certain situation where i think we can have him on the bench. its better than sending him off for nothing in return i actually think we can get something quality out of him so if its not there then just keep him in my opinion.

1 person likes this.