1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Some people here are blinding by Harden's overall greatness to accept the fact that his playmaking, while great for a SG, is not good enough to be the primary facilitator on a championship team. Harden is a top 10 player, and the best SG in the league, but he is not a great passer or decision maker.

2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Monta Ellis have it all

3. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

I agree with both of these posts, I would definitely like to see Harden play off ball more often and improve his defense next year.

4. zdrav

zdrav Member

People always seem to forget (or more likely, ignore) this fact. Yet at the same time, they're willing to extrapolate from Bev's back-up minutes, or even more laughably, Canaan's college career, that either of them would be better starters than Lin, the only player who actually has a record of being a decent NBA starter.

And remember, the knock against Lin when he came to Houston was lack of NBA sample size!

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've been sayin Lin should be 6th man for months... would open up far more opportunities for Linsanity plays... Mike James killed for us a few years back as 6th man... it's logical and makes tons of sense - that's why some people simply can't wrap their brain around it. ;)

6. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Lin would make a great 6th man in this offense, but honestly, Bev as a starter is unproven and I don't think his 3pt efficiency would be sustainable with the way he plays, and he offers little in the way of playmaking ability...now, if the Rockets had Calderon, who is a proven elite shooter and playmaker, than Lin as a 6th man would be great, too bad Calderon costs over 7 mil a year...

7. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Or he could be the starting PG, that plays with Bev or the bench players when Harden is off. Bev could lead the bench as well, i wouldnt mind seeing like a tandem swap between bev and Lin depending on the opponent and style of play.

8. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I meant to post this on this thread, but accidentally posted on another thread. So pardon my mistake. Here is what I originally wanted to say here:

Here is what I don't get. Why is it that other players gets a pass on bashing but Lin gets bashed all day long? Take for example Andre Iguodala. His 2012-2013 stats are as follows:

13.0 ppg, 5.4 APG, 5.3 rpg, fg% .451

On the other hand, Lin's 2012-2013 stats are as follows:

13.4 ppg, 6.1 APG, 3.0 RPG. fg% .441.

Points and assists are higher for Lin, rebounds go to Iggy, and fg%, Iggy has a small advantage. Yet people and the media believe that Iggy is an extremely important player, and can change the outcome of a team? So when Iggy gets a 4 year 48 million dollar deal, he's an important player while Lin needs to go to the bench all while the stats are nearly identical?!?!?!?!?

Talk about irrational.

9. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I honestly wouldn't mind him coming off the bench to be our 6th man, if he is embraces the role much like Ginobili and Crawford do. But, I think if he improves his 3 point shot, he can easily keep his starting role.

I just don't want people using that as justification to diss the man. And I also don't feel like Bev is starter-worthy.

10. SuperManRocketz

JLin already deserve his starter role..This is what he can do for Dwight..http://youtu.be/2A144j4vxNk

11. Defy9

Defy9 Member

I'm a huge Lin fan but a Rockets fan first, whether he starts on the bench or as a starter doesn't really bother me however I do think we should give him at least one more season to see how he can play with Dwight before we get rid of him as everyone seems to want on this forum.

12. houtown

houtown Member

If i were the Rockets, ill let beverly and Lin battle it out for the starters role in the preseason and practice. Whoever performs better in their role, gets the job best suited for the team.

13. New

People have short memories. Go back to our last regular season game.
    Anyone dare to post side by side what they said then about Harden's offense and what they say now?

14. New

Since when SG is the designated primary ball handler?

I can name a ton of better ball-distributing GUARDs...

I can also name a few best ball-distributing CENTERS... Should they be the primary ball handler too?

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Iggy is one of the best wing defenders in the league. Box score stats don't usually tell the whole story.

16. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

I'll answer that:
    It's because when Lin has a bad game, the media talks about it, this forum taks about it, for weeks. And 500 page long threads, so ppl remember his bad game.

Oh and the NY media loved reporting it.

17. Swishh

Swishh Member

I thought of Lin being the 6th man back in February, and many laughed at the suggestion. I still like the idea, but not with Bev as the starting PG. He's just not ready, let's be honest. I want to see how good Canaan is because I believe he's probably a better fit to be the starting PG than Bev. A vet PG like Mo Williams would be preferable.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Then why did Kenny Smith start over Sam Cassell?

1 person likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm with you. I think Jeremy would be way more effective being a spark off the bench. The guy is a natural scorer and flourishes when he's the goto guy. If he starts, he is second fiddle to James Harden.

20. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

If Lin is not traded......... Lin off the bench is still a great idea. Works out for everybody( this is in no way a dig at Lin). He can do what he does when harden is not in the game. Constant pick and rolls and attacking the rim.