1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No, he is the most efficient scorer on the team.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

We already addressed our lack of scoring punch off the bench last year by staggering Harden's and Lin's minutes. I still like Lin in the starting lineup and don't see why he needs to be a sixth man full-time.

3. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

People are just upset Lin didn't perform during playoffs due to his injury. So they pile on the hate while loudly saying Beverly should start. Lin did well during the season's 2nd half, is the STARTING PG of a Rockets team with no preseason that went on to WIN 45 GAMES, and maybe capable of a 50 win season if they didn't screw up some really close games. The injury was bad luck for Lin during playoffs. Everyone played like crap in game 1 against OKC but lin was the scaepgoat, which is even more pathetic of CF members to do considered he got injured. Definitely think Morey will give Lin another year, or until mid-season before attempting to ship him out.

4. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Disagree. Harden's playmaking is possibly the most overrated aspect of his game. How many times did he dribble out the shot clock and pass out with 3 seconds left last season? He has no ability to probe the defense, average court vision, and his passes are off target more often than not. He's been the biggest culprit of throwing passes at the ankles of the bigs. Most of his assists also come from passing to 3-point shooters, not the quality near-the-basket assists a real playmaker would get.

His 5.8 assists per game has a lot more to do with simply having the ball in his hands a ton and the fact that the pace is really high.

Monta Ellis has averaged 6 assists per game his last 2 seasons, how many would call him a great playmaker?

5. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well put. I felt that last year Harden was overused already, evident with his injuries and drop in FG%. If more burden is put upon him it could go even worse. I think it might have something to do with not have a training camp so McHale had to simplify everything and just gave Harden the ball and hope for the best. Well, the result wasn't bad; the offense was highly ranked but it was still only a marginal playoffs team. We've gotta get better next year.

I like how you use the example of Durant and Westbrook. A lot of people think that if they just give the ball to Durant and let him create they'll be champions. Well, we saw what happened when Westbrook went down. I'm sure there were a lot of Westbrook doubters and haters but they have learned to appreciate him more.

IMO this team is much harder to stop with two good ball-handlers than with only one. If we're running the Princeton offense or triangle offense it might be a different story. It's hard for opposing teams to predict where the slash and dish comes from, instead of giving them the opportunity to focus on one origin.

6. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Some of what you say is true, but Harden is excellent at making cross-court passes, making difficult rifle passes across his body, and making good decisions out of the pick and roll.

I'm not sure what happens with him late in games either.

7. megadon

megadon Member

Harden assists are the product of being double teamed consistently. Harden was a bit over-rated at key points. Though he is a heck of an engine. He would go 4-17 and score 28 points. He would stink in the first half. And then burst with 20 points in the second half.

8. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Lin is the better playmaker. Bev is the better defender, but whoever shoots the 3 ball the best will start and the play the most minutes with Dwight.

It's all about the fit on this team. Don't be shocked to see Canaan finish games if his shooting is as good as people say

1 person likes this.
  9. SuperManRocketz

Bev is not really great at defense like everybody is talking about here..He plays to aggressive and that leads to stupid fouls..JLin is number 16 in 2012-13 STEALS LEADERS..http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Steals.jsp

10. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Harden is number 8 on that list.... Steals per game alone isn't going to tell you much about the quality of a defender

11. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

I'd argue that people think PB is the better defender because of his WOW plays, e.g. blocks.

I think those plays are more indicative of his hustle than his defense. Is there any evidence of PB being a lock down defender? Frankly, I don't want a PG down low defending the basket when he should be on the perimeter ready to start the fast break.

12. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

If that's the case, we should've kept TD, lol. Or we should've gotten Goudelock.

13. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I agree that overall over an extended period of time Lin is a better defender and think many people here overrate Beverley even though he is generally one of the most underrated players in the NBA. But please don't use steals as a stat to judge how good a player is on defense. There is so much more than that. It's so annoying when people bring out this stat to prove or disprove how one is on defense.

14. raskol

Steals is only one aspect of defense and can be a negative actually if the player gambles and loses more than he gets steals.

15. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Howard opens up room for Linsanity to make a comeback. Statistically he's #3 in the league in the pick and roll. Being able to lob it up anywhere near the rim increases his assists and decreases turnovers. We already know he can finish at the rim. The 78% on 1000 3 point shots is promising. He will take more uncontested 3's. He's working his ass off to improve his game. Harden will handle the ball when it matters most anyway.

16. cw3k

cw3k Member

Well, people here are criticizing Lin because Westbrook ate him alive (who does eaten alive by Westbrook?), yet this same group talking how great Bev defense when he was defensing Westbrook's backup who barely get any play time. Great apple to apple comparison.

17. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

So are blocks. See Camby, Marcus. I always found it funny people thought Marcus Camby was an elite defender.

18. raskol

True. But taken all together, it starts painting a picture. If you get a lot of steals, blocks, deflections, taking charges, those things may be an indicator of a players defensive abilities.. to a degree. I thought Camby was slightly overrated as well.

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Actually Nash was very old and injured most of the season. After Kobe got injured, Nash could barely play, let alone driving to the basket.

Actually Lin could be doing more passing and facilitating.

20. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

Oh crap, you mean like playing like a REAL point guard? No way...maybe Harden should take more plays off on offense and take more spot up opportunities (which he excels in per synergy), at least until he starts to play acceptable defense...maybe his stamina isn't high enough to be able to control the entire offense and play decent defense at the same time. Maybe it would be better for the team, cause I can tell you this, unless Harden plays at least average defense, the Rockets will not win a title.