1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. hali

hali Member

I don't see Lin's fan object that.

But most of the talk that object that is about Lin as 6 man is just trying to bury him in the bench.

It is very different if you play him for 10m to 15 min or you play him for 30min.

Same goes to Asik.

If you want to put them more than say 25min per game, you will need to make the combination works.

Lin needs to work better with Harden, Asik needs to work better with Howard.

8M salary for player played more than say 28min per game is ok. For player played 10min a game is too much, you may better trade them now, it will give you better trade value.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

First you claim a player has to be a certain height to be a 6th man than this nonsense? You are showing a real lack of knowledge for the game.

44% is not bad for a wing player, especially one who shoots so many 3s. Look at steph curry, widely regarded as one if not the leagues best shooters and he shot 45% from the field.

Then your free throw comment. Do yourself a favor and go back year by year at free throws made leaders. You will see lots and lots of superstars topping those lists. Getting to the line a lot and making them absolutely is a very positive thing.

3. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

only if we get a better facilitator as a starting PG (not necessary a better PG), I'm not confident with Beverly starting, he's great in his role as a spark from the bench like Bobby Jackson, Hope we could bet a veteran PG that could start, Lin and Beverly could be the backup 2 and 1 respectively

4. hali

hali Member

You put your best line up to win the game

You may not play your best player in each position when you start the game, but when you try to win the game, you will do your best line up. And it should be your best 5 players.

And if player x is better than player y, you should hope your line with play x will be better than your line with play y. If not, you should try to move player x to find better match.

If you can not put your best 5 players when you need to win game, you need trade out player 5 or 4 or 3 or even 2 to get better value

5. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

We have a season in the books already. I don't recall any reports recently on lins game beside his 45pts in a summer league. If he worked on protecting the ball then you may be right, otherwise....

6. smseventeen

smseventeen New Member

Plus the number 6 is a lucky numer in China

7. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

the offense should be pnr based with both harden/howard and lin/howard. when harden pnr with dwight, i dont want him to feel like he has to give up the ball just to feed dwight. let harden do his thing and dwight can clean up misses or be there if harden sees an opening to pass. on the other hand, lin should be attacking trying to find dwight down low. or if the defense gives him space, go for the basket.

and while dwight fancies himself a post player, i'd like to see him only do this on occasion. my hope is that he can score so much from the roll that he forgets that he isnt posting. lets face it, playing inside out will be detrimental to harden's game. we going to make him a spot shooter? standing there waiting till dwight passes to him? that's parson's job. harden should be attacking with the intention to score and dwight as an option. lin should attack with the intention of setting up dwight and scoring as an option.

8. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Along with JR Smith, these SGs excel as 6th man but it'd be highly unusual for passing PGs to be sixth men. I think it might help the team more to have the SG play 6th man rather than the passing PG.

Not in his prime.

IMHO it isn't that well-reasoned and obvious. This certainly sounds like trolling. OP could also be understood as trolling because of the context even though the content might not be completely bad. At least the resulting mob of trolls should be anticipated if you're smart. Can't believe the blitzkrieg could happen so fast, look what you did:

[​IMG]

9. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Excellent, thank you!

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Where were you? Or you just mean you don't hate him.

11. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I don't mind this idea per say but it is to soon to tell with the pieces we got this summer. I thought Jeremy was going to lose his starting job last year so I would like to think he tried to improve his overall game last year.

12. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

Jordnnn i agree with you, but one thing that has bothered me, and I feel more clutch fans should be pissed about, is HOW MANY FOULS the refs ignore on Jeremy Lin. Teams key their defenses hard on Harden, but with Lin its like a green light to just straight up injure him. Seriously, every game the players were fouling Lin real hard the entire game and refs probably call like 1/4 of the hits on him. If it was lebron he would be at the line 20 times a game. I think the refs know since Harden is the superstar hes gonna get his fouls, while jeremy just gets beat the hell up. I am not offering excuses for Lin, I am simply pointing out this. When Harden was out some games from injury, Lin started getting a lot more fouls called on him, though one could argue because his usage was higher. But even with higher usage, and Harden out, fouls that were normally ignored were called for Jeremy.

13. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

It's a real tragedy.
    They just can't wait,
    Have too much hate.
    Is there any remedy?

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Quit the hate. How often do passing PGs play 6th man? Harden was and would be a nice 6th man no doubt but some people are going to hate that idea. Why? A good player be the 6th man is still a good player. It's not a particularly good idea.

15. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

This is true...I'm not making any excuses, but Lin took a lot of contact this year, and did not get the calls he was getting in New York...if you look at his time during Linsanity, he was actually shooting a pretty similar eFG, but his TS% was through the roof because he was getting a ton of foul calls...not so in Houston

16. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I sure hope some of the haters would take you as an example. These cruel crooks are surely a tragedy but you've gotta keep it up! B-ball forums aren't what it used to be but we could still make a difference. Cheers!! :grin:

1 person likes this.
  17. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

The guy is only 24 years old. He's good. Going to get better.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y35a-0PLtg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Beverley hit .33 percent of his 3 point shots in the playoffs. His best play to date. It was not against a starting PT. His assist rate has been very low for a point guard through his entire career, even in the Euroleague(3 per game).He truly can' t create for others on the team. Why would you have him on the court as your main PG?
    BTW he has never averaged more than 13 points in any season during his career. We don't need rebounding with Howard and Asik. To make him starting point guard because he hits 3 about 3% pts better than Lin did last year is short sighted. Don't you want your Point to have more skills than a role player?

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I hope you don't mean anyone who is a fan of one of the Rocket players is r****ded.

Albeit old, this article is interesting. Things might have changed but that also means it could change again.

McHale Sees Lin as a Starter and a Leader/

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You handle Jeremy Lin threads like you're his campaign manager. It's entertaining. 7 posts and counting in this one!

This is such an innocuous idea, yet look at the conversation it has generated. However, even the Brooks-Lowry debates back in the day were unnecessarily divisive. I think people just enjoy rallying around a random cause... eh?