1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Lima to the Bullpen! Oswalt to start.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dc sports, May 30, 2001.

1. dc sports

dc sports Member

In the Astros game on Fox Sports, they just said that Dierker before today's game made the announcement. He's going to give Oswalt a chance to start a game on Saturday -- in the spot normally occupied by Lima. They followed it up with "Lima is in the bullpen tonight."

They were purposely uncommitted, and did not indicate whether this was a permanent switch -- only that Oswalt was getting a start.

Good luck!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

2. dc sports

dc sports Member

Found it in the Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bb/926441

Hunsicker and Dierker held a coaches meeting late Tuesday night after the club dropped its eighth consecutive game. They decided to switch Richard Hidalgo back to center field and Lance Berkman to left while inserting rookie Roy Oswalt into the rotation and keeping Jose Lima and Octavio Dotel in the bullpen.

Go Hunsicker and Dierker! Great to see them taking a stand on Lima, and making him fight for his job. I hope Oswalt is up to the task -- he did have a very bad relief showing the other night. But, I'd rather have Oswalt struggling in games on the way up, than Lima, well, you know.
    ------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited May 30, 2001).]

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Go Dierker!!

------------------

4. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

FINALLY Dierker gets it...he's one of the slowest managers in baseball...probably because somebody pressured him to...I hope he doesn't burn out Oswald like he does Elarton (last year after surgery) and Wade Miller (you'll see him get tired later this year)...I am so sick and tired of Dierk leaving the young pitchers in there well over 100 pitches...he doesn't think longterm...

------------------

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

More news -- Dierker's getting brave, and may test out his new reliever tonight! Bottom of the 7th, 6-4 Astros, with Cruz mopping up the inning. New pitcher warming up in the bullpen -- Jose Lima!

-----------

Update -- Didn't use him. Went with Jackson instead.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited May 31, 2001).]

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Believe it! [​IMG]

------------------
    It's my way or the highway!

7. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Lat year (and in previous years) Dierker overused his starters because he had no bullpen to depend on. I've noticed that he has pulled his starters earlier this year because his bullpen has been soooo much more reliable.

------------------
    I always thought "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm discovered". Now I think "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm found out".

8. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

Good point...earlier in the year though he had a bad habit of leaving wade miller in there for a while, well over the 100 pitch count though...hope it will give the team a lift it needs also...

------------------

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

True, but Miller was KICKING ASS at the time. Almost any manager would have done the same thing. Is this the reason Miller is not as dominant now as he was earlier this year, or is the league beginning to catch up to him? We'll have to wait and see.

------------------
    I always thought "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm discovered". Now I think "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm found out".

10. haven

haven Member

Behad: High pitch counts for young pitchers are BAD. I was really surprised Dierker was letting him do that, since he has a rep for being careful with young pitchers. Not worth the risk...

Anyway, three cheers for Oswalt!

------------------
    A few years back on the Senate floor...
    Phil Gramm: "If Democrats could, they'd tax the air we breathe."
    Ted Kennedy (jumping up): "By God, why didn't I think of that sooner!"

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

11. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

All I can say is:

BOUT TIME!!!!

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

12. Live

Live Member

Boy, the Dome sure was good to SOME people, wasn't it?!

------------------

13. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

yeah wedro has been stuggling lately, but he'll pull through. Well, with Lima, we do have alot of good arms in the bully.

About Dierker. I've heard Alan Ashby say "I don't get it...." about some of Dierker's moves.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

All your Limas are belong to bullpen.

Finally, we can quit listening to Lima smack and get on with our lives.

Surf

------------------

[This message has been edited by Surfguy (edited May 31, 2001).]