1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Life Question: Enjoy the time or take the money

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by justtxyank, Feb 21, 2014.

?

What would you choose?

1. Under Age 35: Option 1

50.6%
  2. Under Age 35: Option 2

20.0%
  3. Over Age 35: Option 1

24.7%
  4. Over Age 35: Option 2

4.7%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

I read a survey that the most important thing to this generation of workers is time off/free time as part of their job.

So here's a hypothetical. If you had the following choices, what would you choose:

Job 1: Secure job for a long time. Laid back office environment. You make 60k a year, plenty of free time, tons of vacation time, leave early, etc. There is little chance for salary improvement or career advancement.

Job 2: You make 85k a year. You never have downtime at the office. You get standard 2 weeks vacation and you work 8:30 to 5:00 at a minimum. You can advance in salary and career prospects the harder you work. Your job security is tied to your performance.

Edit: As part of your answer, please feel free to indicate what would be the threshold for you to make a different decision than the one you made.

2. K mf G

K mf G Member

option 1 until my kids are older

3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

It really comes down to the time versus the money.

Is it worth $25,000 or more the free time you'll have for a long time?

I'll take job one any day, who wouldn't?

$5,000 a month is not bad plus the free time you'll have with the people you love the most.

4. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Damn I didn't read the post below. I assumed it was no money vs. a lot of money.

I'd change it to option 1 under 35 if I could revote.

60K/year is solid and you are happy, that is an easy decision.

5. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

who in their right mind would take 2 over 1? so your house is a little smaller and you drive a less fancy car.

whats the point of money if you have no time to enjoy it.

6. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

You should really change the choice to like 30K or 40K a year. It would make it a lot harder of a decision imo.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Option 1, no question about it. Not even close for me.

Life is too short to stress about your job. I've had to constantly remind myself of this since accepting my new job back in September...

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

This question is based on a real life example that I recently discussed with someone. The two job options are real offers on the table.

Edit: Not offers for me though lol.
    I'm surprised already at how many people are so quick to say Option 1 though. It's interesting.

9. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Yup we live to enjoy life not to stress about work.

10. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

This is why other countries are going to pass us in innovation and productivity over the coming generations. The US will become what the European workforce is now.

These questions are really silly. You can find high paying jobs that offer laid back work environments and lots of vacation. If you make $85,000 and only get two weeks of vacation - you didn't do a very good job of negotiating. At the 28% tax bracket, you need to learn to leverage for more benefits.

There are people at every level of jobs that have to work their asses off, and there are people at every level that have more laid back experiences. If you're stuck in the first scenario - there are countless ways to find a better position more in lie with your wants and needs.

11. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I'm living option 1 right now.... but then again I was always an underachiever.

12. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Honestly I Would love to make 6 figures and use some of that money towards traveling across the country and the World every weekend.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I think a lot depends upon where you are in your career - currently I am working TONS of hours, but I have a stake in the company and it's success, so am working hard to make it worth something.

However, after this project, if successful, I am hitting a beach for a LONG LONG time....once my kids are grown.

DD

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Member
    Supporting Member

15. macalu

macalu Member

Option 1 easily. Stress adds years to your life and time is more important than money.

16. No Chance

No Chance Member

I retired when I was 47 in 1995 had made a lot of money but I regret not having spent more time with my children. I spend a lot of time now with my grand children but it makes me realize what I missed with my children. If I had to do it over again I would choose option 1.

17. generalthade_03

Why are you even surprised with the way this board leans politically? We are even celebrating unemployment under the current administration.

18. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Your job should be what you love, something you wouldn't mind doing for free, if its a chore you will be waisting your life, no matter the hours or the vacation days.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

He's already stated that they're based on real-life scenarios, not some hypothetical he just came up with on the fly.

My Father in law spends tons of time with my kids (and the rest of his grandkids). He's a millionaire several times over, but he says he spends as much time as he can with them because he didn't get to spend any time with his kids (my wife and her sisters) when they were growing up. He was too busy working and making money.

I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I wish I would have worked more and spent less time with my kids..." You hear people saying the opposite all the time.