1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Life after Isiah Thomas: How are Knicks doing?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sbyang, Nov 4, 2009.

1. sbyang

sbyang Member

The entire league rejoiced when the Knicks finally fired Isiah and hired Donnie Walsh and D'antoni. The Knicks fans felt that the franchise was finally in good hands, Walsh wouldn't make the dumb trades and signings that Thomas made and D'antoni brought an exciting style of play to MSG. Thus began the rebuilding of the Knicks, Walsh preached patience from the beginning, his master plan was to not make any of the desperate moves Thomas made and free up cap room for 2010. He basically told the fans: we're going to stink for 2 years, then we'll sign franchise player or 2 in 2010 and take off from there.

So how's Walsh doing with his master plan? Well the Knicks stunk last year and look no better this season, they will not have enough cap room to sign 2 franchise guys, more importantly, the team is so bad that no self respecting franchise guy will want to goto the Knicks. They'll have a chance at Amare and that's pretty much it. LBJ, D-wade and Bosh are not going to this sad sad team.

Making matters worse is the draft, the Knicks took Gallinari with the 6th pick in 2008. While it's too early to call him a bust, it's not too early to say that they messed up by passing on the likes of Brook Lopez, Eric Gordon, and Anthony Randolph, at least they didn't draft Joe Alexander, who was option #2 for Walsh. This year they took Jordan Hill, a project, passing on Brandon Jennings, who would have fit that offense perfectly. I'd give Walsh a D on his 2 drafts thus far, and that's being optimistic.

The worst news of all for the Knicks is the fact that they have no first round pick next season (that one isn't Walsh's fault). Most bad teams can at least look forward to what they'll be getting next year, as a fan of a terrible team, sometimes you don't feel so bad after a loss because it means a better pick. The Knicks fans have no such privileges, they also know that the team isn't tanking for next year, the team is just that bad.

The only positives Walsh has brought in his tenure thus far is the shedding of Zach Randolph and Q. Rich. Even those 'accomplishments' are diminished by the fact that both guys have been traded again, meaning that it wasn't that difficult to get rid of them.

To most Knicks fans, Walsh is still an improvement over Thomas, that's how low the bar has been set. At least there haven't been any embarassing sexual scandals, coach/GM fights, coach player fights under Walsh's watch.

2. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Thomas was better

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

it's only 4 games into the season. granted, they don't look great, but it is still the East. The East has gotten much much better at the top of the conference, but there is still room for a team or two that sucks to sneak into the playoffs. That won't make the Knicks good, but it could happen, and would be an improvement. I'm not betting on it, but a little early.

They might still be able to create room. Granted, it's unlikely. It's Curry's player option, that he will definitely take, that is weighing them down.

Their problem now is they have no other assets to bundle with Curry to even trade for another team's expiring. If they still had this upcoming draft's pick, it would be really helpful.

Still, with Curry's player option, they only have $27 million in salaries next year, so enough room for a max guy and another solid player.

I think it was a mistake in the first place for them, or anyone else, to target one great FA year, as the big guns (Bron, Wade) are most likely to stay with their current employers.

Still, NY is NY, and there is a LOT of money opportunities there, so you never know.

Brook Lopez, I get, but Eric Gordon and Anthony Randolph? Gallinari needs to improve...a LOT. But he's basically playing at the same level of Eric Gordon this year so far, and Randolph still gets minimal playing time...which given his "potential" and coach (who would be more inclined to play most young players than other coaches), it's got to say something about him. heck, Gallinari is scoring more per game this year than Lopez is...but I still see you rpoint on that one.

This one is a head-scratch-er, but I can at least see the direction they were going. They want some more inside presence in the "bruiser" mold, as opposed to the David Lee athleticism mold. And multiple mocks did have Hill going around the slot. And, Hill has a history of slow and steady improvements. He averaged 4.7 ppg and 4.1 rpg his freshman year at Zona and improved every year. I foresee him doing the same in the pro's. He'll never be a great player, though.

I give Walsh a C+ on drafts thus far. Which isn't good, anyway.

this is disastrous, for the knicks and the rest of humanity (which hates the Jazz)!

It's helpful to go back and look at how mismanaged the franchise has been for so many years. Walsh certainly isn't going down the quick rebuild route, but then not everyone is so lucky to have Pau Gasol traded to them for a bag of peanuts, or to add KG and Ray Allen in the same year. Then again, Danny Ainge did astutely draft Rondo, and the Lakers filled out their roster perfectly (taking somewhat of a risk on Bynum, finding Ariza to fit in, getting Derek Fisher back, etc.).

I don't know why I responded on a point by point basis. I don't even like the Knicks and barely watch them. I do like D'Antoni's style and watching his teams play, though.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

^^^

D'Antonio = no championships.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know about that. It meant the rest of the league couldn't take the Knicks' lunch money anymore. I know I was sad to see Thomas go when he was doing such a great job destroying the Knicks.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

All I want is for them to make the playoffs. If Utah gets a top five pick from them I'll go insane. Atlanta got good at just the right time and Phoenix only managed to get Robin Lopez. I hope the jazz suffer the same fate. They're a blown pick away from eternal mediocrity. All their hopes rest on this draft.

7. sbyang

sbyang Member

Boston
    Cleveland
    Orlando

Atlanta
    Miami
    Toronto
    Washington

Those 7 teams are clearly better than the Knicks. They have a long shot to beat out the likes of Philly and Chicago for the last playoff spot. Of course injuries could strike a few teams and get them into the race, but the playoffs are looking unlike for NYK.

The only hope for those rooting against the Jazz are that while other bad teams are tanking, the Knicks will still be trying for wins, so the Knicks will have a low spot in the lottery.

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Walsh has a big hole to dig out of after the disaster of Isiah Thomas. He has done some good things like dumping Jerome James for Larry Hughes and trading Zebo and Qrich. If he could get Eddie Curry on the floor to showcase him and trade him, he would be GM of the year just for doing that.

I would give D'antoni until end of December before making a judgement on the potential of the Knicks. D'ants is still trying to figure out who is starting lineup is going to be. Larry Hughes after having a terrible preseason where he made like 2 baskets seems to be coming around and looks to be the starting 2 guard, Chandler replaces Jefferies at the PF and Harrington will be coming off the bench instead of starting. I think Gallo has potential, he could be the difference between them being a lottery team or a playoff team.

#8 tiger0330, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Believe me, I know the knicks stink. They aren't making the playoffs. Realistically, we're looking at them having the 3rd to 6th worst record. Chicago already got the #2 pick from NY in a similar fashion. If Utah gets the #1 pick there is no god.

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I like Gallinari's game. Smooth-shooting forward who can also put the ball on the floor.

Zeke was a solid talent evaluator and did a decent job drafting that talent. He just is completely clueless when running a team and knowing what makes the best sense, not only now, but for the future as well.

He'd make a good scout ... a really good scout.