1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lieberman: "There is no humanitarian crisis in the Gaza Strip"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mathloom, May 30, 2010.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I wouldn't doubt it.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A flotilla of German Jews is setting out for Gaza:

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3899915,00.html

[rquoter]
    Leitrer, herself Jewish, said there was great interest in joining. "Getting another boat means more expenses, and we're discussing this possibility," she said. "Because of limited space, there will be school equipment, candy, and mainly musical equipment, and there'll be musicians aboard who'll teach the children of Gaza. They need to see that Jews are not what how they are drawn in their eyes."

[...]

"We haven't heard there were weapons on the last flotilla, and people were shot and killed there," she said. "We have contacted Israel figures and told them they are welcome to carry out searches on the boats, but we ask to be allowed to continue to Gaza. These are Gazan waters, and Israel must not control them."

[...]

Lutz explained that the Jewish flotilla aims to convey a message: Lift the siege.

"Our vessel can open a window between Israel and Gaza residents," she said. "Two years ago I took part in the Free Gaza flotilla and wore a Magen David (Star of David), and the kids said, 'Look, she's Jewish,' and they all accepted me very well. When we met (Hamas leader) Ismail Haniyeh and they told him about me, he turned to me and said they have nothing against Jews or Israel, only against the occupation."
    [/rquoter]

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a good initiative. Difference to the other ship: They are not planning to die as martyrs and they will not resist getting searched.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you're a buffoon.

Just openly say you hate turkish people and anyone of muslim origin.

Your subtle jabs do you no good in vindicating you from bias.

8. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Turks are not of 'Muslim origin'. They're Turks who may or may not practices Islam.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

That is true, but in this specific context his hate for turks is because there has been a lot of hate towards muslim/turkish immigrants in Germany.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I have no hate for Turks (or any other group either). I grew up along them as we have quite a few in Germany and there were never any problems with the ones I knew. I have Turkish friends. Istanbul is a fantastic city.

Also, about the buffoon remark. Can you please keep the personal insults to the rep feature, or do you first have to spread some reputation around?

11. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

This may be more of a case of awkward timing that anything else, but this case in actuality has been pending for a while now, and it merely upholds and clarifies the laws that already exist.

Marrying an Israeli citizen is seen by the state as a subversive action that would undermine national security. It is seen as the equivalent of a French Jew marrying a German Nazi during WWII, at least that is the rationale used by the state.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Then these laws are highly discriminatory. Where is the anger and outrage among the Muslim community worldwide? I have seen them act as staunch supporters of civil liberties (such as being allowed to force your women into a mobile jail called burkha) in other cases? :confused: Where is Mathloom, explaining to us with 2,000,000 words why this law should be abolished?

To equate all Israeli citizens with Nazis is unacceptable.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You were bad mouthing a Turkish Muslim in the other thread and directly linking it to him becoming more Islamic. Despite a lack of causation, you decided to leap to the opinion that there probably is causation.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

There probably is causation. Highly probable, even - no matter how often you, who has never met the guy and who generally has little idea of anything, say "despite a lack of causation".

15. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

You are completely misreading this court decision. This is a SECULAR decision made by a SECULAR state which seeks to safeguard itself from infiltration by a foreign enemy. The very fact, as you clearly stated, that it is directly OPPOSED to Islamic teachings about interfaith marriages, what does that tell you??? It has nothing to do with appeasing Islamists, the Egyptian government has no care in the world for appeasing Islamists and has NEVER been accused of doing so, in fact it is the target of much scorn from all over the Arab world from self-proclaimed Islamists and militant groups. The Egyptian government openly scorns Hamas and repeatedly threatens them over the airwaves, they openly scorn and aggressively repress its own domestic Islamists and makes no apology for it.

Seriously, are you accusing the Egyptian government of appeasing Islamists? :confused:

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Can you clarify: So you think the Egyptian government is not Islamist enough? Is that where you stand?

17. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Considering that Egypt is the farthest thing from a Muslim state, I am sure Mathloom will gladly (and this time, accurately) tell you that Islam has nothing to do with this LOL! Egypt is seen, among Islamists, as the enemy of Islam, but one thing Egypt has and will always do is be overly aggressive in protecting itself from even the slightest possibility of foreign infiltration, and be in your face and unapologetic about it.

Dude, it is a police state, one of the best in the history of the world at that. Did you see what they did to their Bedouins in the Sinai? Did you see what they did to alleged Hezbollah cells operating within Egypt? This government has no mercy and makes no PR exceptions when it comes to national security.

To equate all Israeli citizens with Nazis is unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

18. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

I am saying the Egyptian government is not only NOT Islamist, it is in fact anti-Islamist and makes no secret of it. This is like accusing the Syrian regime of being an Islamist regime, when President Assad was just on TV the other day proclaiming that the single greatest threat to Syria is NOT Israel, NOT Lebanon, NOT Iraq or Kurds or any other multiple real threats to Syrian security, but instead what he calls the "Islamicization of the Syrian people" and he says he wonders aloud all the time about how he can do more to secularize the people and turn them away from political Islam.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You avoided answering my question. Do you wish that the Egyptian government should be more islamist than it is?

20. Pharaoh King

Pharaoh King Member

Well yes, sure, that might be the effect of this law, but that is not the intent of the law, that is all I am saying. Keep in mind, again, that this same law has been on the books ever since the 1970's or something like that.

Not all Israeli citizens, but certainly you won't find much disagreement in the Arab world, and across all Arab countries, if you ask the following question: do modern-day policies of the Israeli government resemble those of Nazi Germany? The answer would be a resounding yes. If you ask a general question about Zionism as a political ideology, then the answer would be even more overwhelming, as most Arabs DO in fact directly equate the political movement that we now call Zionism with Nazism, both as radical nationalist movements with imperialistic tendencies.

These are the views of the Arab world, and it would be really difficult to try and argue otherwise with people in the region given what is still happening in the conflict today. I understand they are not universally acceptable American or European views (although in Europe also Zionism is not seen in favorable light), but they are views of the collective Arab world.