1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

License Plate Sells for $14 Million

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/licens...n/20080216191609990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Well, that $6.8 million dollar license plate got PWNED by this one!

[​IMG]

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (Feb. 16) - A license plate with nothing but the number "1" on it went for a record $14 million at a charity auction Saturday.

Saeed Khouri, a member of a wealthy Abu Dhabi family, wouldn't say how many automobiles he owned or which of them might carry the record-breaking single-digit plate.

"I bought it because it's the best number," said Khouri, whose family made its fortune in real estate. "I bought it because I want to be the best in the world."

The oil-rich UAE began auctioning off vanity license plates last May.

Ordinary automobile license plates issued to drivers here - and even most other vanity series plates - carry both Arabic and Western numerals and script, defining the issuing city and country.

Khouri's plate, however, has only the Western numeral and no letters.

The record sale surpassed the $6.8 million that was paid for an Emirati license plate at an earlier auction with the Western number 5 on it - also without Arabic numerals or letters.

Proceeds from the auctions, which are held in a lavish hotel here, go to a rehabilitation center for victims of traffic accidents.

On Saturday, 90 license plates were auctioned off in all, raising a total of $24 million. The previous five such events raised more than $50 million.

2. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

That license plate better be indestructable.

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm sorry...what an idiot!

4. kikimama

kikimama Member

What a potentially great T-Shirt. "I donated 14 million dollars to charity and all I got was this stupid license plate."

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

$14 mil for "1"? I would think they'd come up with some humorous designs for the auctioned license plates.