1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Libertarian Primer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Feb 26, 2012.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Are there ever a functioning libertarian country in the modern world? Somalia does not count as one.

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I don't always vote Libertarian, but when I do, I vote Ron F'ing Swanson.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Please explain if you would, instead of just declaring, how libertarian economics differs from that of say Ronald Reagan or Santorum with their constant talks of the "free" market and the evils of government regulation.

Again, if you would explain why Ron Paul took close to $2 million dollars from the founder of Paypal when he assisted big government in trying to shut down wikileaks which is dedicated to freedom of information for the public, which is needed to hold government and (yes, libertarians!) corporations accountable?

#43 glynch, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. glynch

duplicate

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess the fundamental flawed assumption behind all these utopian global makeovers -in fact the problems with large portions of economics - is the idea that people behave rationally and logically and in their best interests.

If anybody really believes that self interest rules the day, I'd highly recommend listening to this BBC interview with Nobel laureate Daniel Khaneman on behavioral economics.

6. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

whats so unique about that? democrats dont have a consensus on what it means to be 'democrat'. black people dont have a consensus on what it means to be 'black'. christians dont have any consensus on what it means to be 'christian'.

thats why i find the premise of the thread so silly. this multi-part extremely long, rambling interview w/ an anonymous libertarian. who cares? why does this persons opinion warrant a thread? its the ultimate strawman argument. just a ridiculous caricature put out there to point at and say "this is how libertarians think! libertarians explain yourselves!"

i agree - a totally unregulated 'free market' is not the solution. but an end to corporate welfare and the undue influence of the military industrial complex would be a good start in the right direction. holding the wall street crooks who brought down our economy responsible for their actions would be a good start (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-isnt-wall-street-in-jail-20110216). an end to the practice of allowing corporations to write their own laws and regulations and hand them off to our elected officials would help. stop allowing the regulators to do stuff like go out and have sex and snort coke w/ the people they are supposed to be regulating. remove the caps on liabilities that our elected officials granted to companies like BP. these would be good too!

7. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

jo mama or any other libertarian,

In the context of the interview, in your opinion, what is the difference between govt run security and corporate run security? One is being paid through an invoice and the other through taxes.

I know the question is very simplistic but if you, or anyone else, could humor me.

8. jo mama

the fact that you need someone to explain to you how ron paul does not represent mainstream GOP economics shows how pointless it would be to even try to answer your query.

again, you are showing how totally misinformed you are. or you are just straight up lying. probably a combination of both...show me a link saying "Ron Paul took close to $2 million dollars from the founder of Paypal".

as for paul, he has actually defended wikileaks on the house floor and called them "heroic". where does your obama stand on wikileaks?

#48 jo mama, Feb 28, 2012
  9. jo mama

i cant speak in the context of the interview b/c the only parts of it ive read are parts that others link, and even then it really doesnt make any sense. i have no idea what the hell that person is talking about. i clicked on the link and started to read...i was leery when the person said they wanted to remain anonymous, but after a few questions i realized how stupid the conversation was so i quit reading.

i know that doesnt answer your question, but in the context of this interview id rather deal in specifics and real-life examples.

and again, why does anyone care what this anonymous, random person says. it would be one thing if it was just a few questions, but this long ass 6 part interview? the fact that anyone would spend time reading it...its so ridiculous that its funny.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Outside of your own definition, do you not have any philosophical knowledge base of libertarianism? All of the answers provided in the discussion are steeped in libertarian thought.

We agree on some of the problems of our current governmental situation, but not on the path for solutions.

11. glynch

One of the basic unwordly fallacies of libertarianism/conservative economics for the 1%.

Folks who say stuff like this come off like richy rich Romney, heartless or at best so in their heads without grounding in concrete reality it appears startling to others outside their ideology.

Yeah, young street prostitutes in third world contries are free to choose whether to suck *icks or eat. Their choice. As Milton Friedman one of the patron saints of market fundies, though as far as I know he was never so extreme as to call himself a libertarian had a book and popular tv program called "Free to Choose" which was very popular around 1980, and we had old smiley "Morning in America" Ronald Reagan. Many younger folks can't remember back when we didn't have beggars at practically ever major intersection before this ideology took hold, middle class kids could go to college and even professional schools without being debt slaves, and we beganm the extreme transfer of wealth to the 1% etc.

#51 glynch, Feb 28, 2012
  12. glynch

Exerpts from an interesting article showing the Kochs and a large southern bank as well as wealthy hedge fund guys funding the libertarian movemtment, "free enterprise" professors at universities and the distribution of Atlas Shrugged.
    While it has been well known that the oil billionaire, Charles Koch, has been funneling tens of millions of dollars through his foundation into economic programs at public universities and mandating approval of faculty and curriculum in some instances, it has not heretofore been reported that a sweeping partnership in these programs has sprung up between Koch and the southern banking giant, BB&T, the latter corporation mandating that Ayn Rand’s book Atlas Shrugged is taught and distributed to students.

Koch is based in Wichita, Kansas; BB&T in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. An email request to the Charles G. Koch Foundation for information on how this partnership evolved went unanswered, despite Koch’s copious web site claiming to want to set the record straight on his past funding schemes.

Raising more eyebrows is the discovery that the so-called populous craze for Ayn Rand’s seminal work, Atlas Shrugged, is also being financed by a decidedly non-populist pact of deep-pocketed hedge fund operators.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/02...rand-hedge-fund-money-teams-up-with-koch-bbt/

13. jo mama

glynch has got to be the biggest hypocrite/partisan hack on this board. he seems to view everything thru the prism of republican vs. democrat.

all this focus on the koch brothers, but no mention of soros. the paypall guy is bad for funding a ron paul super-pac, but no mention of bill maher and his $1 million dollar donation to an obama super-pac. we have all these lobbyists funding obama super-pacs, but glynch doesnt want to talk about that. he criticizes paul b/c super pacs are being set up in his name, but no mention of obama and his super pacs, despite the fact that obama was previously critical of them.

his hypocrisy and partisanship was most evident in his views on jimmy carters military service vs. george hw bushs. check out this thread...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=203807&highlight=carter+bush+military

here is glynch ignoring the fact that george hw bush was in the military.

when he gets called out on this here is his reply...he demeans bush for his "rank" and says his only accomplishment was being "shot down".:rolleyes:

here is glynchs reply to my defense of bush's service...this is one of the most pathetic displays of partisanship ive seen on here...he says its ok to "attack" bushs military service b/c he is republican. personally, i think ghw bush should be in prison, but i would never denigrate his military service like the snob glynch does - i dont care what his political affiliation is - like jfk, he was a new england rich boy who went and put his ass on the line and by all accounts served w/ valor...how do you not respect that?

carter was career military w/ 6 years of service but george hw bush was not b/c he only served 4. and the snob glynch says that since he was of a "relatively low rank" his service is not as good as carters.

both my grandpas served in WWII, but they were lowly sergeants...i guess the snob glynch would say their service is not as good as carters since they were of a "relatively low rank". my grandpa martin got shot in the gut trying to cross the rhine, but i guess the snob glynch would say that was his only accomplishment.:rolleyes:

14. jo mama

i guess not. ive never read atlas shrugged, so maybe thats my problem. and this whole "conversation" is more philosophical rather than practical/real world. aside from the fact that its a total strawman argument, thats the other problem i have. id rather talk real, tangible issues. this "code name cain" strawman is going off on some weird tangents that have no bearing on the real world.

this "code name cain" seems be saying that there should be no government at all - no police, no military, no national defense - i dont know any libertarians who actually advocate this position. as soon as "code name cain" started talking about sending criminals to the sahara or antarctica i pretty much stopped reading.

it comes off like a bad caricature. to hold this anonymous person up as representative of libertarian thought reeks of desperation. again, this is no more than a strawman argument. to post this long interview of some anonymous libertarian and demand others to explain it is just silly. again, who is "code name cain" and why are they worth a 6 part "interview"? are people actually reading this entire "interview"? why?

true that.

15. glynch

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0212/73074.html

PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel donated another $1.7 million in January to the super PAC supporting Ron Paul’s presidential bid, according to documents released Monday.

Thiel, a billionaire who runs the hedge fund Clarium Capital, has donated a total of $2.6 million to the pro-Paul group Endorse Liberty since it was founded on Dec. 20.

16. NMS is the Best

Firstly, Endorse Liberty isn't the Super Pac associated with the campaign - RevolutionPac is. So even if Paul asked them to return the money, the Endorse Liberty people would still probably keep it. Secondly, do you have any evidence that Peter Thiel was still in charge of PayPal in 2010? Or that he supported PayPal's actions against Assange? From what I understand, he sold it to eBay in 2002. And lastly,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GDp1izlMQT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

I'm calling bull**** that the answers are steeped in Libertarian thought. Who the hell is Hans-Hermann Hoppe? Wikipedia says he is a libertarian anarcho-capitalist philosopher.

So some guy writes a satirical piece about an anacho-capitalist philosopher's views, and you call it a Libertarian primer. Hoppe's philosophy and Andrew Dittmer's satire have nothing to do with the beliefs of that vast majority of Libertarians.

18. glynch

]
    Not really. I frequently criticize Obama and even Dems as a whole. It is you who can admit no failing of libertarianism or Ron Paul. I guess I and the other posters on this thread which is about libertarianism have a hit a nerve.

Well let me clear that up. I am against Citizen's United and Obama is to blame for taking the money. Will you join me in denouncing all superpacs and also join me in the extremely anti-libertarian idea of limiting how much a rich person can donate to a campaign through any mechanism whatsoever. Say $50 so that the little people who you want to defend from snobs like you allege me to be can compete in the market place of ideas?

Well let me quote from that old thread, too.

glynch

I think you can see that contrary to your thesis I took a shot at Obama for being a warmonger. I was being unreasonably stubborn in the thread, but see I your claims of me being an elititst as being a stretch and a divesionary ad hominem attack.

Well all of us little guys can throw around charges of being elitist.

From the thread.

glynch

QUOTE]both my grandpas served in WWII, but they were lowly sergeants...i guess the snob glynch would say their service is not as good as carters since they were of a "relatively low rank". my grandpa martin got shot in the gut trying to cross the rhine, but i guess the snob glynch would say that was his only accomplishment.:rolleyes Well let me say thanks for your granpa's good service. [/QUOTE]

Your grandparents certainly did good service and if you felt my post somehow persoanlly demeaning instead of some sort of rhetorical device, I am sorry. I really don't see what it has to do with whether libertarianism is a worthwhile ideology for running the country for folks like your grandparent, you or I.

#58 glynch, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  19. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seems like Dittmer has struck a nerve with our resident libertarians...

Part IV is dedicated to Agent94.

Journey into a Libertarian Future: Part IV – The Journey into a Libertarian Past

By Andrew Dittmer, who recently finished his PhD in mathematics at Harvard and is currently continuing work on his thesis topic. He also taught mathematics at a local elementary school. Andrew enjoys explaining the recent history of the financial sector to a popular audience.

Simulposted at The Distributist Review

This is the fourth installment of a six-part interview. For the previous parts, see Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3. Red indicates exact quotes from Hans-Hermann Hoppe’s 2001 book “Democracy: The God That Failed.”

ANDREW: The GLOs in your future libertarian society will be continuations of GLOs that exist now – basically large corporations and high net worth individuals. And the modern GLOs are continuations of GLOs that existed in the past.

CODE NAME CAIN: True – GLOs have a long and proud history.

ANDREW: In our society and in the past, both GLOs and regular governments have certain legal rights.

CNC: That’s right. But the legal rights of the governments are all completely illegitimate, whereas the legal rights of GLOs are all completely legitimate. That’s why I act morally when I hide my assets from the U.S. government.

ANDREW: How did it come to happen that the GLOs split into two kinds – the good non-government kind and the bad government kind?

CNC: As the libertarian Robert Nozick says, “Whatever arises from a just situation by just steps is itself just.” When rights were first created, the non-government GLOs legitimately claimed them. Since then, they’ve handed them down to their heirs and traded them among themselves. All of these transactions were strictly voluntary, and so all of the rights of modern GLOs are legitimate. On the other hand, governments seized all of their rights unjustly, and nothing that has happened since can transform their illegitimate rights into legitimate ones.

ANDREW: Maybe you should tell us the whole story.

CNC: Prepare to be surprised – mainstream sources have mutilated this history almost beyond recognition.

A long time ago, everybody lived in a state of liberty. Now, in any society that is not entirely primitive, a few men acquire elite status. Owing to superior achievements of wealth, wisdom, [or] bravery… some individuals come to possess “natural authority,” and their opinions and judgments enjoy widespread respect. Moreover, because of selective mating and marriage and the laws of civil and genetic inheritance, positions of natural authority are more likely than not passed on within a few noble families.

…. it is these very leaders of the natural elite who typically act as judges and peacemakers, often free of charge, out of a sense of obligation required and expected of a person of authority or even out of a principled concern for civil justice, as a privately produced “public” good. [71]

ANDREW: So the first security GLOs were noblemen, and they got their power because other people recognized their superior leadership qualities. These nobles were basically like little governments, except better because they were non-coercive and respected natural rights.

CNC: Exactly. The great philosopher John Locke understood this principle well. Some bonehead living in Locke’s time had said that governments had much more authority than GLOs… because they sometimes led men into battle. Locke retorted,

A Planter in the West Indies has more [than three hundred slaves in his household], and might, if he pleased… Muster them up and lead them out against the Indians, to seek Reparation upon any Injury received from them, and all this without [being] a Monarch…

In other words, GLOs, such as planters in the West Indies, had the same rights that governments did as far as war-making was concerned.

ANDREW: This is the first time you’ve mentioned governments, as opposed to non-government security GLOs. How do governments enter the picture?

CNC: In big cities, there end up being many different and independent security GLOs, all exercising their authority in complete harmony. For a government to arise it is necessary that one of these judges, arbitrators, or enforcement agencies succeed in establishing himself as a monopolist. [177] How is this possible? Why would other security GLOs ever allow one organization to obtain a monopoly and to usurp their own rightful powers?

Clearly the only way that this can happen is for one of the security GLOs to promise to be more than an impartial judge in matters relating to one’s own race, tribe, or clan [178]. You see, in the state of nature a security GLO would treat all of its clients fairly, applying a uniform standard of justice. Governments come about when one security GLO pledges to enforce the law in a way that unfairly favors its own race or tribe – this unethical scheme allows such a GLO to seize power over its rivals. If racism stops being effective, the next resort of the rogue GLO is typically an appeal to the universal… feeling of envy and egalitarianism, i.e. to social class (the untouchables or the slaves versus the masters, the workers versus the capitalists, the poor versus the rich, etc.) [180].

ANDREW: Noblemen and masters were obeyed because their serfs and slaves recognized that some people were naturally superior to others – but then some GLOs came in and started messing everything up by appealing to racism and jealousy. These “rogue GLOs” are where governments come from.

CNC: That’s right. Now let me tell you about the history of territory GLOs. This part of the story is even more important – you see, libertarianism… is a systematic law code, derived by means of logical deduction from a single principle, the validity of which… cannot be disputed without falling prey to… contradictions…. This axiom is the ancient principle of original appropriation [200].

Now what does “original appropriation” mean? It means that you find something that no one else owns and you claim it. Whenever you claim rights in this way, it makes some people better off and no one worse off.

ANDREW: It does?

CNC: Well, it obviously makes you better off. At the same time, [your] action does not make anyone else worse off… Others could have appropriated those resources, too, if they had considered them valuable. Yet they… did not do so. Indeed, their failure to appropriate them demonstrates their preference for not appropriating them. Thus, they cannot possibly be said to have lost any utility as a result of [the] appropriation. [122]

ANDREW: Let me see if I understand the idea. Suppose that I find the only oasis in a desert and claim it as mine. Suppose some refugees flee into the desert and want to drink at my oasis. Can I threaten to gun them down if they come too close, unless they agree to become my effective slaves in a rights-respecting manner?

CNC: Of course – it’s your oasis.

ANDREW: Can you give me some real historical examples of how GLOs have justly appropriated rights?

CNC: [T]he English settlers [in] North America… demonstrated how… private property originated naturally through a person’s original appropriation… of previously unused land (wilderness). [267]

ANDREW: North America was uninhabited when the English settlers got there?

CNC: Opponents of libertarianism love saying “What about the Indians?” They get excited at the thought that libertarians will be forced to defend the property rights of dispossessed native peoples, which a lot of libertarians would rather not do. What they don’t realize is that John Locke solved this problem three hundred years ago. Locke explained that

…the Benefit Mankind receives from [an acre of land in England], is worth 5 [pounds], [whereas the benefit from an acre of land in America] possibly not worth a Penny, if all the Profit an Indian received from it were to be valued, and sold here; at least, I may truly say, not 1/1000. ‘Tis Labour then which puts the greatest part of Value upon Land, without which it would scarcely be worth any thing…

ANDREW: Wait. Did Locke just start to suggest that since the Indians did not do efficient agriculture, they did not really own the land?

CNC: Exactly. To properly claim land, you have to do real economic work on the land, and the Indians did not do that because they were too primitive. So Locke proved that that the Indians did not own the land. That meant the settlers could treat the land as if it was unclaimed.

ANDREW: Are you sure that’s what Locke meant? Locke is famous for defending liberty and natural rights.

CNC: Why are you surprised? In this example, Locke defended the liberty of settlers to claim unused land, and their natural right to keep that land once they had claimed it. And yes, I’m sure that’s what Locke meant – go read his second Treatise on Government.

ANDREW: Were the original territory GLOs in Europe also security GLOs?

CNC: Well, you can get wealthy by claiming unused land, and security GLOs were typically wealthy noblemen with long-established records of superior achievement, far-sightedness, and exemplary personal conduct [71]. So there was probably a lot of overlap.

ANDREW: Didn’t a lot of people in Europe get land because their king or queen liked them and granted them land as a gift?

CNC: Well, you have to remember that the king or queen, being a government, did not own the land legitimately. Land can only be justly claimed by individuals or corporations, and so all “public” property is… the result of some form of expropriation [135].

ANDREW: So if you could prove that part of a particular organization’s wealth came from inheriting a royal land grant, would that wealth be illegitimate? Would you consider yourself justified in claiming that wealth as unowned, provided that no one could stop you?

CNC: Interesting question… But you see, sometimes we have to accept that bad things happened a long time ago, and it would be too confusing to try to correct the injustice. Sometimes you have to let bygones be bygones.

ANDREW: So governments that were established a long time ago might have rights that we have to respect, because it would be too confusing to correct the injustice?

CNC: No. The injustice done to GLOs by forcing them to accept man-made laws (“regulations”) and to pay taxes must never be forgotten. Every day that governments usurp rights, the debt owed to GLOs grows. The voice of that debt cries out from the ground for redress, and it will be heard.

ANDREW: I’m not sure why this question just popped into my mind – why did you choose “Cain” as your code name?

CNC: The fact that you have to ask that question shows that you have been misled by the conventional description of Cain as a thoughtless psychopath. That view is a caricature, spread by religious intellectuals subservient to modern democracies. A more measured appraisal of Cain leads to the conclusion that he was, in reality, a hero.

ANDREW: Maybe you’d like to explain further?

CNC: In the Cain and Abel story, Cain is a farmer, whereas Abel is a nomadic shepherd. Cain is therefore a representative of civilization and economic progress, while Abel represents a more primitive and superstitious form of society.

Cain and Abel go to make sacrifices to God. According to extra-biblical sources, Cain comes up with an idea for making the sacrifice process more efficient – instead of sacrificing productive agricultural goods, he will burn thorns and cow dung. The resulting fire and smoke will be just as impressive, and Cain will be able to preserve useful resources. Everyone will be better off.

Abel gets angry and says that God will not be pleased. That was obviously a coded threat to go tell their father Adam (the government) and to get Cain in trouble. If Cain hadn’t done something, his goods would soon have been confiscated for the sacrifice by governmental authority, i.e. coercion. Cain was forced to take action to protect his property.

ANDREW: So you see Cain as as the first strong defender of private property?

CNC: And as the original inventor of the concept of a Pareto improvement. But he paid a heavy price for his integrity – instead of recognizing that Cain had acted justly, his family kicked him out, destroyed his reputation, and forced him to live life as a trader, moving from place to place.

Maybe you can see now why I am proud to take “Cain” as my code name.

In part 5 of this interview, Code Name Cain argues that libertarians who favor a minimal government are deluded. CNC then goes on to explain how the inherent flaws of government compel honorable men to make what are sometimes difficult choices.

20. glynch

Yeah, sure does.