1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Liberal Groups make issue of McCain's Skin Cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Sep 25, 2008.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_el_pr/campaign_ad;_ylt=AvuW96J2CL.8e3scDMyg0uph24cA

WASHINGTON - Two liberal political action committees are making an issue of John McCain's past bouts with skin cancer in a television commercial that features his facial scar and demands that the Republican presidential nominee release his medical records to the public.

The 30-second ad, so far airing for $50,000 only on MSNBC, is paid for by Brave New PAC and Democracy for America, a political group headed by James Dean, the brother of Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean.

"John McCain is 72 years old and had cancer 4 times," the ad's text says over a black-and-white image of McCain with the left side of his face bandaged after surgery in 2000. "Why won't McCain release his medical records?"

The ad is the most public and unflinching effort to turn McCain's health into a political issue. It is part of a broader effort by the two groups for McCain to make his health records public. About 2,500 doctors have signed a Brave New PAC petition calling for the documents to be released, according to group spokesman Leighton Woodhouse.

In May, McCain made 1,173 pages of medical documents available to a small group of reporters to examine for a several hours. His campaign did not release the documents and reporters were not allowed to make copies.

The records, which covered McCain's health history from 2000-2008, showed that he had his last episode of melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, six years ago. The records described him as having a strong heart and generally good health. He gets an in-depth skin cancer check every few months.

Obama has not released his medical records. His campaign instead released a one-page letter in May from his longtime physician, Chicago internist Dr. David L. Scheiner, that summarized 21 years of medical records and described Obama's health as excellent.

In the ad, two doctors express concern about McCain's ability to deal with a new cancer episode. "Another bout of cancer for John McCain while he's president of the United States would profoundly affect his ability to lead," one of the doctors, Michael D. Fratkin, says.

The ad is the second anti-McCain commercial by Democracy for America and Brave New PAC. Last week they placed an ad on MSNBC and CNN featuring a former fellow prisoner of war criticizing the Arizona senator's temperament.

Democracy for America spokesman Daniel I. Medress said CNN had declined to run the cancer spot. CNN did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Medress said the groups were seeking to expand the spot to some battleground states.

Democracy for America was founded by Howard Dean and now is run by his brother James. Medress said Howard Dean has no role in the organization.

Brave New PAC is a political group connected to film producer and political activist Robert Greenwald. A spokesman for the Republican National Committee pointed out that Greenwald is president of Brave New Foundation, a nonprofit group whose chairman is Stanford Law professor Lawrence Lessig, who has advised Obama's campaign on Internet technology matters.

"The fact that Howard Dean's brother and an adviser to the Obama campaign are behind despicable and cheap smear ads against Sen. McCain is deeply disappointing, but in no way surprising," said RNC spokesman Danny Diaz. "Barack Obama has promised Americans an elevated debate offering nothing but gutter, Chicago-style politics."

Woodhouse said Lessig has no connection to Brave New PAC, which operates separately from the foundation. Obama's campaign said it had nothing to do with the spot, and declined comment about its content.

Medress defended the ad. "John McCain won't let anyone look at his records in a full and open fashion...Who knows if there is going to be a recurrence of cancer," Medress said.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's sucky, but it's also dumb. Who do they feel like they need to convince that watches MSNBC much?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Considering his VP choice, this seems particularly relevant. Far more so than the hysteria some have over Obama's citizenship papers.

4. drumbum

drumbum Member

To be fair, Obama is also a smoker which is known to cause cancer...

But @durvesa: I agree, picking Palin now makes this even more relevant.

5. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Whether it is relevant doesn't matter. If they want to bring up this issue, just air some Palin interviews unedited, with a definition of duty of vice-president fade in at the ned. Basically be subtle about it and let the viewers do the 2+2 on their own. There is simply no need to scream at everyone's face and pissed off the senior voters.

The ad is not helping. These 527 need to clean up their acts. Biden should denounce the ad like he did with an earlier ad, even though it has nothing to do with the Obama campaign.

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

It's relevant...but making an advertisement that reeks of nothing but sleaze about it is different. It's uncalled for and unnecessary. I don't fully buy the idea that the public NEEDS to know...but by not releasing it when it's important it does raise questions, legitimate or not.

Either way it has no place in advertisements though.

7. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Obama hasn't had 4 bouts of surgery for a very cruel form of cancer. Melanoma is a slow killer. A friend of 26 years died of it in February. He fought it for 12 years. From all I've read, there really is no such thing as being cancer free with Melanoma.

It is a valid concern given the Palin pick.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

As a cancer survivor myself, this makes my blood boil. This is truly a subject that should not be broached

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is relevant, but none of our business.

However it does come into play particularly because of his atrocious choice for a running mate.

DD

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and given the one's 3 pack a day habit?

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I smoked a pack, pack and a half a day for 23 years. Quit 3 years ago and have had several chest x-rays and cat scans. No cancer.

don't know about Obama

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

half of obama's habit, and he's older. so if McCain's age, skin cancer are issues, the faux-one's cancer stick habit is at least as worthy an issue. that, and the loose cannon who would succeed him...

13. durvasa

I don't get this at all. How can McCain's health not be our business?

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

This reminds me of a debate a few weeks/months ago when some reporters questioned whether Steve Jobs owed the shareholders transparency on his health. What sets Jobs apart from other CEO's is his absolute control over every facet of Apple, most of which it's successes can be directly attributed to him.

15. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Look, the ad says McCain didn't release his medical report. The fact is Biden didn't release his report either.

Obama is trying to run a professional campaign. While the current spotlight is dead-center on the economy, this 527 clown comes and go "haha, dude is old". Do you really want to hear the POW story until you recite it in your dream?

16. durvasa

McCain is old, and whether or not he may die in office is a crucial issue. Yes it's a personal and morbid topic to bring up, but in this case it is also absolutely relevant. There's too much at stake.

17. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

I'm not disagreeing with all that. Again, my point is that the goal of any poltical ad is to bring in votes. If it fails and to do so, and worst yet, actually turn independents away, then the fact that it brings up any number of facts become irrelevant.

To sum it up
    1. has fact, got + vote (should do this)
    2. has no fact, got + vote (Karl Rovian tactic)
    3. has fact, got - vote (this ad)
    4. has no fact, got - vote (some McCain ads that got called out when the media take its head out of its butt)

On that note, this 527 ad is a disaster because
    -message, too personal, too blunt
    -timing, talk about the economy, stupid
    -counter, revalidate the POW banner

I hate taking this angle so I'm done talking about this.

18. durvasa

I see. Sorry I misunderstood your point before.