1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LiAngelo and LaMelo signed for some random team in Lithuania

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RedRedemption, Dec 11, 2017.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Wrong Thread....What am i doing :D:D:D:D:D

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So let me ask these questions:

Do people hate Lavar Ball because they take him seriously?

If I told you it was all an act to help build his brand (ala Don King) and he's probably actually a very down to earth guy who's looking to give his kids the best chance at being successful, would you still hate him and his kids?

If you take Lavar Ball out of the equation, would you still hate/judge/criticize Lonzo and LaMelo Ball so hard? (no pun intended, and LiAngelo is a lost cause).

I look at Lavar Ball as a WWF hype manager playing his role as villian (Paul Heyman, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan). Maybe I'm wrong and perhaps Lavar is actually that full of himself. But in my eyes I see it all as a show. He's clearly doing something right if he's being able to do everything he's done in less than a year and a half. NOBODY knew Lavar a year and a half ago. I watched Lonzo Ball mixtapes on youtube and never once did I see his dad pop up until he was at UCLA getting ready for the draft. In fact, not too many people were hyped on Lonzo, everyone was patiently waiting on Michael Porter Jr.

Job well done sir, job well done.

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, that is what he is doing. I don't like the WWF hype managers, either. :) Yes, it is a show...what I can't figure out is why people watch it. Maybe I'll ask that question (although it was mostly answered previously in this thread) Why do people watch it?

Do people hate Lavar Ball because they take him seriously? I don't hate him, but yes, it annoys me that people take him seriously. I would say its just the media, but the media would stop doing it if people stopped watching it.

If I told you it was all an act to help build his brand (ala Don King) and he's probably actually a very down to earth guy who's looking to give his kids the best chance at being successful, would you still hate him and his kids? I think it is all an act, but haven't seen evidencing supporting (or denying) that he's a down to earth guy. The article I linked on his response to the stealing was a step in that direction. I don't hate him or his kids. I do think they get WAAAYYYY more attention than they deserve (which you would probably say means Lavar is being wildly successful...I would say its because we pay way too much attention to it)

If you take Lavar Ball out of the equation, would you still hate/judge/criticize Lonzo and LaMelo Ball so hard? Definitely not. Which is where all this hype he creates can turn into a detriment for his kids. The difference between what he's doing and the WWF hype is that the WWF is built on such hype. Basketball is not. His kids now need to live up to the hype, and those around them need to put up with the show. Both of which are problems.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm still waiting for any sign of how he has actually improved his son's situation in any way.

Lonzo had a possible lucrative shoe deal taken away, and has a massive target on his back.

LaMelo has been taken away from the USA, which is the best place to develop your game.

Liangelo was taken away from the fine UCLA coeds, and now will play ball in high school gyms in cold ass Lithuania.

A_3PO likes this.
  5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Fair enough! I will say that nobody would know who LiAngelo Ball was if not for Lavar. Sometimes you gotta break the mold. I could see this becoming a thing. Like jumping straight out of HS or 1 and done. Having hype (mix tapes) is definitely something basketball is built upon imo. LeBron had hype coming out of HS, only thing with him is he lived up to it. Essentially if you don't have a mixtape, you're not good enough. I think the new age is represented will by Lavar.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

But after Liangelo's skill, or lack thereof is exposed will anybody really care?

I'm sure he will be enough of a sideshow to make some lower level teams take interest, but teams at that level don't pay a liveable wage, much less lucrative. NBA scouts don't give a f**k about mixtapes, nor do the top level foreign clubs.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Things have improved a lot in E
    Fair points. To follow LCAhmed's analogy, is Lavar, the agent and hype builder, actually helping his kids? I agree we wouldn't have heard of the other two yet...but was their new found fame part of the reason he got into the trouble he did? Did it actually get Lonzo drafted any higher...and if it did, is that really a good thing (more expectations to live up to)?

8. Mr. Space City

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly as many people in the stands as there should be (zero).

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Reality TV show in some small arse place in East Europe.

11. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Well they'll be in shape chasing that 1 ball....

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If I were 19 or 16 I would love to have been able to go live in Lithuania with my family while being paid to do something that I love. Of course it's all relative, can't say that it wouldn't have been preferable to stay in sunny LA and smash hot co-eds at UCLA like they were supposed to.

13. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

14. mig0s

mig0s Member

Are they scrimming? Are they being serious? Most ymca games are more competitive/skilled than this

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. omgTHEpotential

Simple practice drill for combating turnovers.

Normalus likes this.
  16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm sold. they're nba ready, bring them over.

17. Normalus

Normalus Member

So..the real question is if LiAngelo is a virgin, gay, that woman was ugly or it's just a complete celibate when father is around?

Oh, and that woman was this brunette..so there's only 3 options left..
    [​IMG]

18. Alugeris

Alugeris Member

It was just a prank, bro

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lithuanian team schedules 'Big Baller Brand Challenge' games

PRIENAI, Lithuania -- Prienai Vytautas, the Lithuanian team which signed LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball, has withdrawn from the Baltic Basketball League this season and will instead play in the Big Baller Brand Challenge, a series of five "friendly" games in an effort to get the brothers extensive playing time.

The team also announced it will show each of the games on Facebook.

"When you come out and they change it just for the Balls," LaVar Ball told ESPN. "You know it's real."

The team will continue to play in the Lithuanian domestic league. The Baltic league -- considered lower-level than the Lithuanian league contests -- features squads from Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

"This is a great thing for everybody," he added. "I'm excited for the fact they named something after the Big Baller Brand. Brings exposure to our brand and also gives us quality basketball. People back home get to watch it."

The first game will still take place on Jan. 9, but the opponent will now be Zalgiris -- considered the top program in Lithuania. However, Zalgiris -- which has former college stars Kevin Pangos (Gonzaga) and Aaron White (Iowa) is expected to play many of its younger, developing players.

There is still a chance that LiAngelo and LaMelo could play in the Lithuanian league matchup on Jan. 13 at Litkabelis, but that may depend on how they fare in practice and in their debut on Tuesday.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member