1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lewis to sign-N-trade with Dallas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TexanJohn, Sep 18, 2002.

1. TexanJohn

TexanJohn Member

I just heard on Sportsradio610 that a sign and trade between Seattle and Dallas is possible for Lewis. Is this true? It can't be!

2. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Yawn........:eek:

3. drpepper

drpepper Member

I wish they would so it would all be over.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

that's what Berman said last nite @955ish...

5. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

can't help it....who gives a *beep*? Yawn is absolutely right.

6. Possum

Possum Member

The agent for Seattle SuperSonics forward Rashard Lewis is expected to meet with Sonics management Wednesday night in Seattle.

Carl Poston and Lewis will discuss whether the free agent will re-sign with the team.

Contrary to published reports, Lewis has not yet signed or agreed to terms, though the Sonics are "optimistic," according to a team source. Nor has the team increased its original seven-year, $60 million offer, with an additional $10 million or so available in incentives.

Lewis has balked at Seattle's offer all summer, seeking a $90 million deal. He had been offered a three-year, $15 million deal by both Dallas and Houston, the most each could offer because of salary cap restrictions. But the Rockets no longer are pursuing Lewis.

7. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

We will get involved somehow! We always do.

8. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Let me say this ...

1. Cuban, who I like very much, has absolutely nothing to offer the Sonics that Nellie, who I also like very much, will part with that will satisfy the Sonics.

2. The Rockets on the other hand have a decent handful of available players that not only fit the Somniacs, but offer long term dividends.

3. If it is not a done deal(and,it appears it's not at this stage), and if it's a toss up between the Rockets offer and the Mavs offer ... everything being equal .... Rashard will opt to Houston ...

Dear Ron: Call DA and SS

9. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

Great post except for this part. What does Sheryl Swoopes and David Aldridge have to do with this?

10. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I agree with Opie. The Mavs don't really have anyone to offer that would end up benefiting Seattle. None of their "big 3 1/2" are going anywhere.

While I doubt there will be a deal with the Rockets either, they do have more to toss on the table in terms of overall talent and bang for the buck.

11. Possum

Possum Member

According to the article we are no longer pursuing Lewis. I can't imagine why. :confused: Oeilpere who do you believe we would offer? Scenarios please!

12. Gypsy

Gypsy Member

Mercy. Uncle. For the love of God. Stop. Please. And wake me up in November. I hope this ends soon so I can pretend I know about offensive strategies.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You and me both. As much as I wanted Lewis as a rook, I don't now. This is a team that is already strapped with big contracts. Lewis is NOT an all star though he may have that in him at some point, but I would not pay $70 million for a guy that doesn't fill an immediate need.

If the Rockets believe that Boki is the real deal at the three, then why on earth do you make a deal to get Lewis for that much money? The MCE, I get. $70 million, I don't.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I don't really care anymore where that greedy A$$ punk goes....

15. Possum

Possum Member

:rolleyes: Then why do you keep reading the Lewis threads?

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Umm...those are the only threads that people keeping putting up...:rolleyes:

Face facts...HE ISN'T COMING TO HOUSTON!!!

JUST LEAVE THE TEAM AS IT IS....IT'S PROMISING!!!

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

OP, the Rockets wouldn't seriously offer up Griffin for Lewis in a sign and trade like Seattle was reportedly demanding, would they? Please please please please say 'no.'

18. Possum

Possum Member

I don't think you have to worry about that.

19. Thanos

Thanos Member

oeilpere hits the nail on the head. It's exactly as i've stated on another thread. The players Dallas has that actually have trade value are players they will not be willing to part with. I'm sure the Sonics are not crazy enough to trade Lewis for Van Exel, which would mean getting rid of Payton. Building a team around Van Exel would be nonsense. Just look how that worked out for denver when Mcdyess was down.

Instead, we have valuable assets we can actually part with, like Cato (did I just say that?), Mo, KT, Rice, Moochie and so on. A combination of those guys for Rashard fills a lot of holes for the Sonics or for a third team involved.

If he is not re-signed, look for CD to work his magic once again.

Bet on it.

20. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Jeff, if it's a sign and trade we're talking about, why are you worried about taking on a big contract if we can unload some of the ones we already have? Would you rather be paying $70 million to Lewis or to Rice, Cato, Taylor, etc.?