1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

letter to CD: i remember the crappy olajuwon years...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Mar 8, 2006.

1. fa7999

fa7999 Member

No. TMac can only pray that it does not get worse.

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I wouldn't move TMac "to accomodate Yao," I would trade him because of health concerns.

I tend to agree with you. I just posted a trade that I thought would complement Yao's ability by getting two shooters for a scorer and a PF that hasn't panned out yet.

But since the back problem is "chronic," wouldn't it be a good idea to at least think about moving him for guys without such problems? Particularly if you thought you could surround Yao with complementary players, you would have to consider it.

I certainly hope this is true, because if TMac comes back next year and misses 20+ games b/c of back problems, it will be VERY difficult to get decent trade value for him.

3. lynxsen

lynxsen Member

Good assessment.

Just add another consistent outside shooter, the team will have a good future.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't know if Seattle would trade their only 2 good players for possible damaged goods (man, it hurts to say that) and an on-again-off-again backup PF.

And, besides the fact that KG is no spring chicken anymore, I don't think I'd want both of our 1-2 punch players to be low post players. I'd rather one be a post player and one be a perimeter player like right now.

I'm just not ready to think about trading T-Mac. Not yet. Maybe he worked out too hard over the summer. Maybe he should lay off the weight training this summer and let his back get better. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know if that's the reason for his problems this year, but it would make sense.

5. terse

terse Member

For sure. The Weatherspoon and Baker buyouts are really hurting now. I opposed the moves at the time and have seen nothing to make me change my mind. Imagine what we could have done at the trading deadline with $10 million in expiring contracts.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

holy crap, i can't believe everyone is even thinking of trading TMac.

After all that happened last year, after our 0-16 record without him this year, knowing what a great player he is, seeing his incredible ability both scoring and passing (and chemistry with Yao)..you really want to get rid of him?

First of all, if his back is enough of a concern to us, another team prob. wouldn't let him pass their physical.

2nd, sending him in a trade (and even the possibility of a failed physical) means killing his attitude towards our team

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I haven't looked at any recent draft projections, but JJ Redick used to be considerred late lottery or just outside the lottery (exactly where the Rockets will probably end up). I would love to see him getting some open looks in our offense,

8. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Damn Sam, you're really hung up on this Yao/KG lineup aren't you.

It won't happen. The only teams that would give up valuable assets for T-mac are those teams with a lot of young talent, but no stabalizing forces. Teams like Chicago or Atlanta (I would include Toronto too, but we all know they would not be trading for T-mac), who are desperate for a legit superstar to lead their team, and willing to take the risk.

Like I've said in other threads, I wouldn't trade a healthy T-mac for anybody in this league. That being said, his health status HAS to be a major concern. Depending on who wins the lottery, or where Lamarcus Aldridge would be avaliable, I'd have to think long and hard about trading T-mac for:

If Bulls win lottery:

T-mac

for

Chicago's other first round pick (10-15 range)
    Deng

We'd draft Aldridge and Redick, and then best player avaliable with our other pick. Aldridge will be the PF of the future, Deng will be our starting SF, and Redick/Bogans will be the new Barry/Sura combo. If we get the Bulls to take Juwan also, we'd have enough cap space to be a decent free agency player, and then I'd go after Jason Terry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Hawks win the Lottery:

T-mac

For

Joe Johnson

Possibly open up the trade some more with Juwan and Al Harrington. JJ is a poor-man's T-mac to be sure, but getting a potential stud PF like Lamarcus could make it worth it. No doubt, we'd be weighing the risk of Tracy's back Vs. the risk of Aldridge not panning out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the Warriors get a top 3 pick:

T-mac

For

#3 (Adam Morrison)
    Jason Richardson
    Diogu

This would completely fill out our roation. We get a potential Brand-clone in Diogu, a deadeye perimeter shooter in Morrison, and a great athlete/shooter/scorer in J-Rich. Heck, I'd even lean towards swapping Howard for Fisher considering Alston's shakiness at times.

Now, I'm only suggesting these deals to get them out there. I'm not convinced that we should give up on Tracy, because like I've said before, he is the PERFECT compliment to Yao's game. But at the same time, it would be foolish and shortsighted to not look at all the options avaliable.

#48 m_cable, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  9. YallMean

YallMean Member

I remember Barron Davis had this back problem while in Hornets. Same situtation as Tmac is in right now. Dont know if Davis recovered from it, but his back looks good now.

10. YallMean

YallMean Member

Too ealy to hang up om Mac. One more season at least.

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

now we're talking.

listen everyone, tmac is my favorite nba player. that said, i know from personal experience that back problems for a baller don't get better. simply put, they degenerate. so, if kg is possible, and minnesota is foolish enough to part ways with him, you don't blink twice.

i did not intend for this thread to be a "trade tmac" thread. not at all. moreso, i intended it to be a "maximize yao's prime" thread. if that means trading tmac, do it. if it means hiring phil jackson, do it. if it means whatever, you do it. no one is more important to this organization that yao ming for the next 10 years. there is NO REASON we should not accumulate 4+ titles in that time period (injuries, of course, excluded).

12. verse

i'll ignore the "idiotic" insult.....seen scrubs like you come and go...

let me ask you a question. who do you think is the future of this team? it's easy to say "tmac and yao", and i wish i could, confidently, say the same. but i've been around waaaaaayyy too long to look past the fact that a bum back does NOT get better. sure, it goes on hiatus, but it does not get "better". so, if it means moving that player for a healthier, equally talented player, i think you'd be foolish not to do it.

this coming from his biggest fan!

that said, i'm a bigger fan of the rockets than i am of ANY singular player. ANY.

listen, i'd love nothing more than to see tmac stay healthy, because he is, TRULY, top five talent. but i look at our roster and see players either at their peak already, plateauing, or declining. very, very few of our players are actually on the incline. head? yep. yao? yep. hayes? maybe. swift? maybe. who else???? we need players that are getting better in their career or that so valuable at their current stage that we benefit from keeping them around. this roster - as is - is not built that way, imo.

where are our "bang for the buck" players???? where are the guys that are playing above their contract level? we had one last year - mike james. not complaining about the trade - i addressed that in my initial post. just pointing out that we need to look for players that are on the upswing.

13. verse

thank you very much.

14. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Cleveland is thinking about the same thing that they should win at least 3 titles in the next 10 years with Lebron.

15. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

Okay I'll play this trade game for a minute.

IF the Rockets want to trade him because of his injury, why would another team take on that huge salary and who would the Rockets get in return. If he's not healthy enough for you, why would another team want him? If you were trading him because you didn't feel he was a good fit that would be another story, but Minny isn't going to give you KG for a T-Mac you consider damaged goods.

Oh and Orlando didn't trade him because of health issues. He averaged about 77 games played a season before he sat out the last couple of weeks of the 2003-04 season with "jumpers knee", the sort of injury you only sit out with when your team has the worse record in the league. He was traded because he wanted to leave and they wanted to get something for him before he could opt out after the 2004-05 season.

#55 hashmander, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

As said, if health is our concern for TMac, then it will be other GMs' concern too, except maybe for someone named Isiah or Weisbrod. I really doubt that we can get another superstar for TMac if our only reason for trading him is his back. If so many people here are sure that back problems don't go away, then how many GMs with professional health consultants would bite?

17. verse

well, the answer would be:

"a gm who is at risk of losing his superstar for nothing" or

"a gm who is has a superstar with baggage"

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Tmac and Yao are not going anywhere........his back will get better and Yao will get better!

CD bring in some quality starters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. lynxsen

lynxsen Member

Agree. Tmac and Yao are not, will not, shall not going anywhere. I am confident his back is only a minor injuries. Just need a little more time to heal. IMHO, Tmac and Yao game are perfectly compliment to each other and they play well together.

To call for a trade one of our superstar right now is just too early and stupid. Even trade our superstar to another superstar will have a risk, such as the incoming superstar may not have a chemistry with the team and JVG has to run new schemes for that new superstar again :D .

Did someone say Sam Cassel earlier? yeah.....If Rox can get lucky to get someone like Sam and that can play D...........This team will be looking good next year.

20. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Exactly.

Look, I don't disagree that his back is going to be a major concern, it is. However, you guys are talking about his back like he has a functional problem with it. He's not getting old or anything like that, and I think you guys are too hung up on maximizing Yao's prime years that you are forgetting him and Yao are almost the same age. T-Mac is not as healthy, but he's not dying. He put on too much weight in the upper body, worked out too hard, and put too much stress on his back. That is the only reason he's getting the back problems in the magnitude he's getting them. He's never gotten back spasms this bad before. NEVER.

Let him get the rest this offseason, that's all that should be on our minds.

Even if you were going to trade him, all the other GM's would notice the only reason we would trade him is for his back, so they'll try to give us the crappiest people possible.

Don't think we're getting a superstar back for T-Mac. There is no way we're getting Wade, James, Garnett, etc. for a "chronically injured" T-Mac. We'd be getting ... a Corey Maggete, a Mikael Pietrus, and maybe a good SG or someone along those lines.

Wouldn't it look r****ded if this franchise traded away on the best talents in the game for (compared to McGrady) some scrubs, and then McGrady gets the rest he needs and comes back strong and lights it up, while the entire load is put on Yao's shoulders and we don't get anywhere...

Keep T-Mac. Trade away the entire supporting cast, or get a new coach or something if you have to, but for God's sake, keep Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.