1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets talk chairs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Apr 16, 2017.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

So...thinking of investing in a high end computer/desk chair...any recommendations? googling about seems herman miller aeron/emody... steelcase leap/gesture tend to be pretty universally praised as some of the best.

whats everyone sitting their behinds in?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

steelcase think

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

4. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

herman miller aeron chair i got at a discount during an end of year sale. smart furniture was the place, i think

5. Buck Turgidson

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

I wanted to post a thread about this as well.

What's the optimum gaming console chair?

Optimum reading a book chair?

Optimum playing an instrument chair?

Thanks.

7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Before you buy an Embody or Aeron, go sit in one. There are people that can't stand sitting in them. I kind of liked the Embody, but the Aeron was a pain to sit in. Maybe I needed to configure it more. Not sure. I still need to try out the Leap and Gesture. If you're buying new, buy from an authorized dealer otherwise you won't get the 12-year Herman Miller warranty.

Also, if you're looking at the Aeron, they released the latest version of the Aeron a few months ago, so make sure if you're getting the original Aeron or the "new and improved" version. Lastly, see if there's an authorized distributor wherever you live. I was shocked how much cheaper I could get a new Embody for from a local distributor than it cost on the Herman Miller website or from other dealers. Now, this could be because it was December, but I'm not sure. I think the quote they gave me for the Embody was about $300 lower than the price on the Herman Miller website (around $850-$950 or something, I believe was the price I was quoted).

The one thing I don't like about the Embody off the bat is that it has no headrest . :(

10. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I have most of them... Aeron + Leap V2 at work and Embody + Mirra 2 at home. The Embody has the most standard features where as the other models they are options to add (pan/tilt seat, adj arms, tilt tension, seat depth, lumbar, etc.)

I like the mesh on the Mirra and Aeron, it's easy to keep clean and breathable. The seat on the Leap is a padded fabric which I like less. The Embody is fabric with the firmness of the mesh.

My favorite is the Embody as I have it adjusted so I sit cradled back (like this), but ultimately you'll want to sit in all of them, adjust them, then determine for your preferences and body type.

(BTW, I think I may have replied to you on Reddit :))

In December Herman Miller has a 15% off sale. They were probably selling it for cheaper to match online stores that do not collect sales tax.

11. Vivid

Vivid Member

[​IMG]
    I have the Ikea VAMHJÄR. Honestly, not the greatest lumbar support. Also I had to provide custom cushioning because it actually didn't come with any. Still, it does encourage people around the office to not bother me. 5/7

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

While I was typing this, I just dug up the actual sheet he gave me with the price quotes. He has an Embody with the adjustable arms and rhythm fabric for $839.35. If I wanted Balance fabric, it went up to $973.45. I don't think Mercer fabric was available at the time and I think I talked with a rep via email who said Medley fabric would be available through dealers in February. One thing I didn't ask him is if that was with or without tax, but because it was so low in comparison to other sites and came with the full warranty, and was not too far from my house if it needed servicing, I'm not sure it matters. FYI, that's about $420 ($350 if you add tax) cheaper for the Rhythm fabric chair than Herman Miller has it now on their site. Even during the 15% off sale on Herman Miller's site, the version above was something like $1150 on the Herman Miller site.

BTW, he has pricing for an old Aeron with PostureFit support at $716.24 and the new Aeron with Posturefit SL for $874, both with tilt limiter and adjustable arms (not sure if the arms were the fully adjustable ones or not).

I have a Herman Miller showroom not too far from where I work, so I may try the new Aeron out and the Embody again before I buy one. Yes, I've been procrastinating on this again ...

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Thanks... I wish I could afford a $1,000 desk chair. I like some of Ikea's stuff (like the Poang chair). How is the mesh and other materials on the Markus?

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

As it has been said, you need to go sit in these chairs. I sat in Aerons for 7 years at my old job, and while decent, I never really got the hype. Some people LOVE them and some people can't stand them.

Here are some options to look at. (find dealers and go sit in them)

- Herman Miller Aeron (the go-to). The majority of people will really like this chair, but you want to make sure you aren't in the minority or you'll have a $1000 roller toy in your office.
    - Herman Miller Embody. My personal favorite Herman Miller chair, but again its personal taste. The older ones have more padding on the tush.
    - Herman Miller Mira 2: We had these in our conference rooms. I never really liked them and wouldn't want to sit all day in one. If you like a firmer feel, might be worth a try.
    -Steelcase Leap: very under-rated in my book. I personally like these more than Aerons, but i'm not a big "mesh" guy so may be the reason.
    -Steelcase Gesture: haven't tried it but gets great reviews
    -Knoll Generation chair: this is an Aeron replacement. It is a little bit less expensive, comes standard with the bells and whistles, and in my opinion is actually more comfortable.

There are many other chairs, some from the same manufacturers above. The key is you just have to go sit in them. Buy from a place with an easy return policy so if you can't stand it after a week you can return it, and if you buy through an authorized dealer, most come with incredible warranties. You are getting what you pay for with most of these chairs.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

The Ikea Markus is generally considered a good "bang for your buck" office chair if you can't afford the really good ones.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I never really liked them either. I do really like mesh backs though

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have a Steelcase Leap and it is excellent. It isn't cheap, but if you sit in a chair all day long as a job, it is worth it to you to give your back and legs a break.

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I couldn't afford (or bring myself to spend that much even if I could) a $1000 desk chair. in my research this was the best in my price range. I'm very happy with it and have been using it daily for 2 years with no signs of wear.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

*bump*

so happened to be looking around and just saw that starting tomorrow...herman miller website is having a 15% off everything. not sure how long it lasts.