1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Reread his prior post. He graduated from SHSU.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

no I understand that ... But to have so much confidence in any team regardless of affiliation to them is crazy in the NCAA tourney

3. RocketManJosh

look at the amount of talent he has had in recent years and he has ZERO NCAA tourney wins to show for it ... Sorry but he still has a lot to prove to make me a believer in him as a coach. I do believe he is a great recruiter.

The Bears not making the NCAA tourney last year was a Horrible coaching job.

4. sammy

The past has nothing to do with this season. We are fifth in the nation in opponents FG %. That alone gives us shot to go deep in the tourney.

I was just watching PTI. Jalen Rose has us going to final four and Skip Bayless picked us to get to the elite 8.

We had talent but never possessed a big that could potentially get drafted in the lottery. Rogers was nice but he is a d league player. We faced a team that was better in Purdue and lost.

I think we would have made the tourney last season if Drew played the bigger lineup all season. Also, Dugat over Lace was obviously a big mistake. We beat teams like Kansas and Texas after Lace was inserted into the starting lineup.

5. RocketManJosh

I don't disagree with anything you said ... I actually have Baylor in my elite 8 as well so I'm not hating on Baylor. I think Baylor has a crazy amount of talent, athleticism, and size which is everything you need.

That said, the point I am making is that he said that it would be a "choke job" if Baylor did not make the Final 4. Those are ridiculous expectations for any team, let alone one that still needs to gain experience in the tourney and has coach that still has to prove he can get it done. Do you disagree with any of that? I'm not saying Drew is a bad coach or they are going to lose because they have never won before, but experience winning in the tourney and having a coach that has done it before certainly helps. To me, it is only a "choke job" if they get bounced by SHSU.

6. Pocket Rockets

It's a choke job only if they don't make it to the sweet 16. They will be favored until then, hence the #3 ranking in the region.
    Sam Houston St and either Old Dominion or Notre Dame don't exactly have deep postseason runs in the last few years either.
    If Baylor were to reach the sweet 16 then they would prob be up against the #2 Villanova (barring an upset) and by then they could just ride the momentum.

But getting to the sweet 16 should be an obtainable goal for Baylor.

7. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

So just because the man hasn't won a NCAA tournament game he cannot coach? Ridiculous. You sound like that idiot John Lopez.

He has done a fabulous job at Baylor. I've read over the brackets a few times and every time I see BU at number 3, I do a double take. He is a hell of a recruiter and coach.

8. RocketManJosh

I did not say he cannot coach ... I said he has yet to prove himself as a coach and is still gaining experience. Not making the tourney last season was all on him with all the talent they had. And yes, he is a great recruiter. That said, he still has to prove himself in the tourney like everyone else.

9. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

In a make-or-break-my-bracket prediction, I have Baylor going to the Final 4, upsetting Villanova and Duke along the way (hey, you have to take some gambles to win these things :grin: ).

Unfortunately, I can't see them beating Kentucky in their Final 4 match up.

10. sammy

Pat Forde of ESPN has us going to the final four also.

Too bad we can't sneak up on teams now. Let's hope that we can live up to the expectations.

11. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I have BU in the final four losing to Kentucky as well. Kentucky vs. Gtown in the finals with Kentucky winning.

Alot of the CBS guys picked us to get upset by Gody and ND. Still not getting any respect.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

How? A #6 seed upsetting a #3 seed isn't that far fetched, and we (ND) have been playing really well as of late. Not to mention, we play in a tougher conference -- it should be a good game (hopefully).

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The RPI (and myself, as well) disagrees that you play in a tougher conference.

http://rpiratings.com/mensrpi.html

Not to say that it won't be a great game, because it will - I think spread would be Baylor by only 1-3. Just thought I'd pick at that one issue. :)

14. Convictedstupid

ND vs Baylor will be a good game. ND has been playing great lately and if you think ND upsetting Baylor means you getting no respect, then you dont watch much basketball.

15. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I do watch Men's basketball, a whole lot of it actually. I might of rephrased it but Im just sick of everyone doubting us after the season we had and I haven't been that impressed with the Irish. I'm not saying it won't be a good game because I think it will be a good game and we could very well get beat, I just like it if more people were on our side, thats all.

16. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I don't think that many people are doubting Baylor. So many analysts are predicting us to go far...I just hope it doesn't get into the players' heads. The wait for the game is killing me.

17. Convictedstupid

Have you not watched ESPN or picked up the sports section of the chronicle? Dude, Baylor is getting PLENTY of love.

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I guess the numbers are on your side, but I was just matching up:

#1 Kansas
    #7 Kansas State
    #19 Baylor
    #23 Texas A&M

vs.

#4 Syracuse
    #6 West Virginia
    #9 Villanova
    #10 Purdue
    #14 Georgetown
    #18 Pittsburgh

It's been fun to watch The Big East play all year, especially when it became obvious the Rockets were going to miss the playoffs. (I LOVE Greg Monroe). That said, I'd be rooting for Baylor if they were playing any other team...

But let's stop this talk and just hope we both make it past the first round first!

19. Ryan Bowen MVP

The big 12 is a tough conference to play in for any sport. We made it to the NIT championship last year, it's not like it was a bad season.

20. RocketManJosh

With the talent Baylor had, it was a bad season. Its the Not Invited Tournament for a reason.