1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Total domination in the second half. If Lace played his normal minutes in the first half, it wouldn't have been close at all.

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Honestly to me he looks like WAY less offensively skilled Hakeem. That is huge praise and I'm saying if he works really hard maybe one day there can be a real comparison.

But honestly there are some things to compare (keep in mind Hakeem is AMAZING, but Udoh just has similar aspects).

Udoh positives:
    - Post and finish with both hands, along with being able to do a running hook.
    - Is around same height as Hakeem was (6'10")
    - Great blocking ability and just ability to find the ball on defensive end (whether it be for Blocking or Boarding).
    - Good movement speed
    - Solid handles for a big man
    - Great Vision
    - Good FT%, form looks very sound.
    - Clutch enough, ability to make key shots @ key times.

Udoh negatives:
    - Hardly a 1st scoring option for NBA level.
    - Seems pretty skinny to me, I think 20 lbs with keeping his quickness would be great for him.
    - He needs to work on his post moves, not enough variety, I think scouting in NBA will be able to shut that down.
    - He has decent range, but working on that jumper would be great (much like what Landry did).
    - I think he demands the ball more than like Dwight does, but I'd really like for him to bark for the ball, bigs should demand the ball.

I'm sure there are more of both that I'm not thinking of but that's my basic analysis.

1 person likes this.
  3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'd like to add, I really like Udoh. The more I watch him, the more I imagine a Udoh + Yao front line.

If that's our front line NO ONE will complain about Martin & Brooks horrible D because those 2 guys will scare anyone from coming anywhere near the rack.

4. shoodomoney

shoodomoney Member

Up next: Kansas State!

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Tweety Carter and Lacedarius Dunn form the most potent backcourt in the Big 12 - Sherron Collins and Xavier Henry are a close second.

Also, Udoh's going to be a very formidable big in the league in the near future. He can stretch the floor with a smooth stroke from mid-range, and he's a vicious finisher around the basket. He has a very impressive frame - similar to Dwight Howard in that he has very broad shoulders, long arms, and big hands. He's going to be special in the NBA.

If Udoh was on UNC, Duke, or Kansas he'd be on the cover of SI, garner respect from the national media and receive serious face time on ESPN, and he'd be mentioned as a sure-fire lottery pick.

1 person likes this.
  6. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Wasn't able to catch BU/UT as I don't have cable, and although EVERY other Big 12 game was on regular tv, this one was on BSPN. grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Will try, and catch some other games this weekend. Hopefully the bears will make it far into the big dance, although maybe D.M. would rather Udoh leave quickly, and stay in relative anonymity. He sounds like a great prospect though. Quick, athletic, good defensively with room(and skills) to grow on offense. Sounds like Rocket material to me.

Congrats Bears. This'll give Johnny Mac something to talk about. :)

7. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

K states a bunch of thugs damnit f them

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Carter missed free throws and the loose ball that found its way to Pullen for the three - that sequence was the game. If an 80%+ shooter makes those and Baylor gets a rebound, it's their ball and a tie game. Instead, down 5 and only two minutes left. ****ty luck, but that can even out with time. Great effort against an elite team in a virtual road game, and I still think Baylor is an Elite Eight or even better team, pending the bracket.

9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

That was a great game. Sorry Bears fans. Man looks like Carter is from the B-diddy school of FT shooting. Even his makes caught a lot of rim.

I thought that too until they showed the replay later in the game. Clemente actually tipped/batted the ball over to his teamate. Really smart play. And that dude(Clemente) is a cold-blooded 3 point shooter too.

As for Udoh I really do like him. 1st time I've ever really seen him(and paid attention to him in particular), but I'm sold. He's long, lean, strong, and athletic, plus he's got a very good dribble, and outside jumper for a big man. Looked like he passes well, and has a good b-ball IQ too, although he made a couple of mistakes like the crosscourt pass that hit the backboard. He's really smooth, and fluid. And runs the court great too. Shame he got that phantom 2nd foul on the break in the 1st half, although the coach had the confidence to bring him back, and let him keep playing. But I think it kept him from being aggresive in the 2nd half once he had his 3rd, and especially 4th fouls.

My only question on him would be where he would play on the NBA initially. I didn't see him down on the block even once in the halfcourt offense, although several times his dribble drive would end in a little Dream-like shake-and-bake down low. With a little more muscle, and polish this guy could be a monster PF though, and he definately has the frame that could easily stand another 10-15 pounds.

I would take him in a heartbeat with our pick, but I don't know if he will make it out of the top 10 when everything is said, and done.

10. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

Udoh already said hes coming back next year

11. ItsThat1Guy

ItsThat1Guy Member

I certainly missed that news. When did he say that?

12. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I have a link I'll have to find it but it was for both him and lace

13. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

14. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

I really like the bracket that Lunardi has us in now. I'm not being a bias Baylor fan but I think that it gives us a real good shot to get to the final four with those match-ups.

15. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

You think that Baylor can beat both Maryland (which took Duke to the last few minutes) and Georgetown?

Mmmmmm'kay.

16. Major

Major Member

Baylor could definitely beat those teams. They've played in the best conference in the country and haven't lost a game by more than 7 points and are top 10 in the RPI and other computer rankings. I think they are a legitimate Elite Eight possibility if they get a 3 seed.

17. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Baylor can beat both of those teams. It's not like G-town or Maryland is '83 UH.

mmmmmmm'kay

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I think this is going to be one of the most wide open hard to pick fields in years. Baylor definitely has the potential to take anyone out in this tourney as do a handful of 20-30 teams and I definitely feel Baylor is deserving of a 3-4 seed and those seeds always have a good chance.

19. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

He changed it from when I posted it..he had us in a bracket with Duke as the # 1 and West Va #2 and yes I do think we could beat Maryland and we already proved that we could beat Georgetown once so I think we would be capable of doing it again but it would be a really good game.

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I expect that Baylor will be a Sweet Sixteen team. If Baylor captures lightening in a bottle, they could be an Elite 8 team.