1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk about Marcus Thornton...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Nov 4, 2015.

1. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Thornton average 19 ppg with the kings a few years ago and consistently averages at least double digit scoring while hovering around 35-36% from 3. His hot start won't continue but the fact that he's scoring consistently is not a fluke, he is way more proven than any of the guys you mentioned. He's not some no name person we picked up and wow, now he looks like a super star. He's a proven player that's been on bad teams his whole career so you don't hear nothing about him. He's a very important piece to this puzzle and probably our 3rd best player on offense until Dmo returns.

2. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

McHale ... plays designed for anyone outside Harden?

3. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

The reason why Brewer hasn't looked good so far this season is because we aren't out running on fast breaks too often. And we're not because other than OKC game, we haven't been creating turnovers on the other team through defense. Brewer needs to get out and run.

4. 25CookemHarden

I have always been a fan of him. I was excited we signed him. Glad he's shining. He will continue to shine for us.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Great post (not being sarcastic)! This does explain how McHale would like players to affect a game (i.e. in a predictable way). He wants to know what they will give him.

Need shooting, has a picture of Thornton with shooting written on bottom
    Need shootblocking with Howard on bench, has a picture of Capela with shotblocking on polaroid.
    Need defense on PG, has a picture of Beverley with PG D.
    Need energy, has a picture of Brewer with energy.
    Need Rebounding, has a picture of Morey with need rebounding, yell at this guy written on bottom.

1 person likes this.
  6. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

Thornton was diff frustrated with Hardens play.. lack of defense, turnovers and no ball movement.

7. Victorious

Victorious Member

False. Delfino, Garcia or Casspi don't have the scorer's mentality that Marcus does. They were more of the slasher type, while Marcus can create his own shot.

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

He's already part of the playoff rotation, IMO.

Lawson / Beverley
    Harden / Thornton
    Ariza / Brewer
    DMo /
    Howard / Capela

Everyone is being overly critical of Brewer. He's struggled so far, but his highs can be very high. Having two guys off the bench (Brewer and Thornton) that can catch fire at any time is a huge luxury.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Before I get this mushy, I'd like to see a larger sample size.

10. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

That's good imo maybe he will be the guy to break harden out of his funk. Nobody on the team yells at James maybe Thornton will be that guy.

Once harden starts playing like we know he can and will the whole offense will open up and everyone on the team will be super wide open. Or risk James getting easy one on one looks.

The only game he's looked like himself was the OKC game. It wasn't just his shooting but he had that bounce and swagger as he likes to say to his game. Doing all those crazy dribbles and basically doing whatever he wanted. We need that guy every night. Then and only then will we compet for a title and a top playoff seed.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

when we signed him i was extremely happy. He's exceeded my expectations. Guys like Brew, Ariza and Thornton are the kind of glue vets you need to win championships.

12. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

And you know hardens on top of his game when hes got his crossovers going. Lately not so much, lots of fumbling around.

13. BAHAMIANFAN

BAHAMIANFAN Contributing Member

My question is why did he not play at all the first 2 games?

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

McHale is stubborn to a fault.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

And also McHale has no memory longer than say half time, because Thornton plays well in the first half, then at the end of game when shots or needed, he forgets he has him on the bench.

16. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="507" height="285" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4JKoigQiL-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. HayesIsBack

HayesIsBack Member

Yeah, and when he feels like he needs coaching. He claps. Put that on Polaroid.

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Thornton is a rich mans JR Smith right now.

19. butterball

butterball Member

He's quicker than he looks. I just watched the highlights and was surprised by how he wasn't afraid to take it to the rim. I'll admit, I was one of those people who thought he was out of shape.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

James could actually learn something from MC. Quit holding the ball so much and thinking about what move to make...just go.