1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Talk About James Harden, Clutchfans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jul 1, 2022.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah, let's talk about Harden. I'll welcome him back only if he brings Chris Paul with him.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Look he’s gone and I am happy for what he did for us while in Houston and made the nets picks so much better for us, but the way he left us freaking sucked and he’s on the decline now. He scored only 22 ppg last year which is terrible for him, which is the lowest for him since 2012-13 I believe and I don’t think the 6ers will win a title and morey is all out of ideas if he’s going to think putting the ex rockets back together is a good idea. I am glad he left and we have green, Jabari, kpj, and others along with the picks to carry us forward and I am super excited for this team more than I would be for a wall-wood-cousins-harden team barely making it into the playoffs or a second round exit at best.

Not to mention Stone, who’s done a great job drafting and trading pretty much and I actually like that he uses our picks and not just trades them away for nothing like morey did. Hell, morey traded away the one he had in this draft for melton lol.

3. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Harden is gone. Fortunately it worked out for the better. Close thread.

Tfor3 and Downtown Sniper like this.
  4. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

Thank god Harden is a fat ass quitter. The team will keep us happy for a long time. Better things to come. Better then Harden ever was for us.

Know Your Role likes this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think I remember the Matt Barnes comment, I think it just depends who you are. If I was advising someone like PJ tucker before he got his ring, Id tell him to do what he needs to make sure his family is set. The risk reward doesnt seem worth it as I have seen many players in that tier give up money to never win. I have never been sold on Philly being a real contender, if they were really close and it meant taking a small cut then it makes sense. However, I have very little faith in Doc as a coach, love Embiid but don't think I'd put my money behind him staying healthy, and so far the guys Morey is scraping together just seems like some guys past their prime.

Part of me is wondering if Harden wanted the full super max if the franchise would even offer it? He has had some health issues the past two seasons now, and he is definitely not the Houston James Harden anymore, his playoff performance was not worthy of $250M in my eyes. Makes me feel as though they just came to a mutual understanding vs. Harden asking to take a pay cut to fit some players.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I respect the OP, but I’m happy with where we’re at and where we are going. I think the next few years, given luck with the “i” word, are going to be highly entertaining. I retain an interest in Harden due to the years he gave us when he was busting his ass and playing at an elite level, but that’s all I still have, an interest in what he’s doing, just as I have an interest in several of our former players. This thread, with all due respect, is looking in the rear view mirror. I’m looking out the windshield.

Milos and CCity Zero like this.
  7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

If Chris Paul’s hammy doesn’t explode we probably 3 peat. Back to back at the least.

Oh well that’s the way life goes.

Wish Harden the best.

Life goes on.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't believe that at all. PJ Tucker did that and basically never got paid his worth till he won a title as a cog in Milwaukee. Never ever. His family was set after his first contract, this guy lived and played in Europe before the NBA.

Who are these many players who all gave up money and never won? Or is it more likely the media likes to sh*t on anyone who gives up money and if it happens the player takes a risk that doesn't pan out, they talk about them like a loser even though it's just one instance.

Players are giving up small amounts here and there all the time, and I bet it doesn't always get reported.

It's stupid to just play for money. Who you play with matters monumentally, being seen later and later in the playoffs can dramatically increase your chances of making money. Championship increases your value, as Tucker discovered btw.

It's just a lack of belief some people have. You can believe in yourself to have a big season. You can believe in yourself to invest your money well and create great partnerships. You can make money for the 60 years you're going to live after the NBA.

There are just some people who relatively care WAY more about winning every game and series than such people.

9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

LeBron eats criticism for breakfast?

Mr "i'll wake up still rich and you'll have your crappy life" ?

Mr emotional dialogues taking a selfie in the mirror that would make a 12 year old girl blush?

10. Asian Sensation

[​IMG]

cheke64 and Milos like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you forget he was the one who beefed with Cp3 and wanted him out for WB in the first place? All Cp3 said is you gotta move off the ball and pass more lmao. What about wearing a fatsuit and throwing the ball to Tate in practice just so he will be traded? You want all that swept under the rug?

Harden isn't a criminal he hasn't done anything that breaks laws but he did a lot of **** to show he didn't care about winning. How about partying with DaBaby instead of rehabbing and getting in shape why don't you start with that? How about fighting with every single star player he has had? I guess Embiid is on the clock cuz he has precedent from Dwight, Cp3, WB, KD and Kyrie.

If you wanna root for Harden good for you personally I don't a F about him anymore.

Know Your Role likes this.
  12. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

No one has stopped him from being an effective closer in the late playoffs situation that could have changed the outcome of the game. And Harden only makes it worse for himself in perception when he starts blaming others for his lack of performance. He gives fans and media all the reasons to criticize and not the other way around.

And it is the nature of media and fans to criticize/applaud. You cannot force them to think otherwise.

Milos likes this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's fair to say Rockets fans have moved on from James Harden and are satisfied where everything netted out.

Denovo likes this.
  14. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You mean, that's the way Houston Sports/Rockets in general go. I mean we have a few outliers here and there, but unfortunately a ton of "what ifs"

Definitely agree with you though!

htownrox1 likes this.
  15. Milos

Milos Member

He also one of the worst superstars of this era in games 5-7 of playoff series
    Repeatedly shrinks in biggest moments
    The pattern speaks for itself
    That's what I'll always remember most about him

Polar opposite of this era of Astros, which is why I'll always root for Correa, Springer and others wherever they end up playing
    If he had half the heart of Altuve, I'd be there defending him alongside you

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That's the thing, you're stuck in the past. What he is in games 5-7 of the playoffs I knew in year 3 of Harden, I didn't need 8 years. If you know how to build a championship team: you get James Harden to win you the regular season, games 1-4 of the playoffs and his man is not helping off him for games 5 to 7. I can win a title with this guy as my best or second best player as long as I then GO OUT AND GET THE PLAYER THAT CAN TAKE OVER AND WIN GAMES 5-7. I don't then turn to Harden and ask him why he doesn't carry a team to a title and watch my spending on depth.

There must be two players of MVP calibre on a championship team. There's no player than does everything Harden does, is a role model and wins you games 1-7 of a playoff series. Lebron James has never won a title without a player (or two) just as good as him by his side. He didn't just keep failing thinking he should win the regular season, the playoffs and close out every series just to avoid being called a failure. He just joined the calibre of player everyone needs to win a title. Dwayne Wade was an NBA champion when Lebron joined him and brought Bosh with him.

You're still doing the thing where you wish Harden was everything, you want him to play both Lebron and Wade's role. He wasn't, there are maybe 5-10 such players in NBA history and Harden ain't one of em. It was not the only way to win a championship with James Harden. Chris Paul and Dwight Howard at the tipping point of their careers and injuries were the best sidekicks he ever had. Going 6 or 7 games against Durant's Warriors sounds like we overachieved when you actually think about it.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Let's Talk About James Harden, Clutchfans
    ______

[​IMG]

Tfor3, Sweet Lou 4 2 and cheke64 like this.
  18. Milos

Milos Member

Does Joel Embiid count?
    Didn't look like he and Harden were a championship duo to me
    Not stuck in the past there ... unless a few weeks isn't recent enough ...?
    Guess we'll see if your Harden theory results in a 76ers title

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Embiid absolutely counts. James Harden just pissed last season away by being out of shape, I'll give you that. I'm not defending non-Rocket Harden. I think the Nets dream shattering caused him some depression too but athletes are not allowed to have that right.

But you have to acknowledge too that if you forced your way out of the franchise you had hoped to retire with as a champion, then Kyrie Irving decides he wants to focus on social justice while you play on a gimpy ankle and weak hamstring: that's going to frustrate the living F out of you. You now have to make a trade and deal with all the criticism again even though you can see: Kyrie don't give a F until the spotlight arrives, Durant is not 28 anymore. Nash can't coach FOR SH*T, and is deeply loyal to Kyrie and Durant. Then show up to Philly and he's no longer 1A, he plays poorly in the playoffs.

As a Rocket he gave everything he had for us till his final season and with B-class sidekicks he got us to game 7 against Durant's Warriors, the unbeatable team of his era. So let's summarize your criticism: he's not a series-finisher. Big whoop. He's no Hakeem, but he is the 2nd best Rocket of all time. I appreciate what he's done, I don't feel like he owes me anything.

Rashmon likes this.
  20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Good posts throughout the thread Mathloom.

No one was happy with how Harden left, but it seems everyone has forgotten that Harden made the Rockets contenders in every season he was here. I hope our current crop of young'uns can supplant him as the 2nd best Rocket in history, but until then we owe him our gratitude.