1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets talk about Bodybuilding.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Hoee Ass, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

No pain no gain? :grin:

Not always the case though, lol.:)

2. val_modus

val_modus Member

Day 3 of Insanity... should i take pre before the workout? I know it helps with lifting, but this is mainly cardio

3. sew

sew Member

Squats are amazing. Yeah they work the legs, but you'll notice gains in other areas as well , your core in particular.

I'm 5'9 and jumped from 150 to 160 in a month and a half once I incorporated squats into my routine.

I'd recommend looking online for vids on how to perform a proper squat. Proper form is important.

4. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

I think pre-workout supplements are meant for any high intensity level activity in general, but ask the clerks at your local nutrition store, they should be able to give you the answer your looking for.

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Yeah, a friend of mine was telling me that squats help you get those two abs at the very bottom. Is there any truth to that? Im pretty all you have to do is lower your body fat % for them to show, not sure though.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Can you give details on exercises, sets, reps, rest time? Thanks.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

legs are easy to neglect. I run a good amount so I always tried to convince myself that it wasn't that necessary. When I did start lifting I would always kill myself and hardly be able to walk for a couple of days and/or get a little twinge in the knee.

Recently I got back on the wagon but have been easing into it the last 3 weeks with lower weights on controlled movements.

8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Yeah sure, I'm actually about to head out to the gym right now though(today is a chest day) so ill post it later so i can have a chance to see what the names of the machines i use are.

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lsSC2vx7zFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/p_vEOBJMfQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_1xXYeNrW9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#149 got em COACH, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I just added leg workouts last week. It's so easy to leave them out and workout one less day a week. But I'm trying to do the right thing now.

I will add significant cardio later this year. Problem is, I HATE cardio. The way I'm thinking about doing it is increasing my warmup to 15 mins of cardio and adding on 15 more mins of hard cardio after the workout. Maybe HIIT.

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I believe Rodman works out for 2+ hours because he doesn't have time on other days, but that's actually counterproductive. Workouts, ideally, should be kept closer to an hour, unless you're an athlete who's doing extensive work.

The thing about core work is that there's too much emphasis on strengthening it, but the focus should be on activating it. If you can't activate it, then core exercises compound the problem because you're not using the actual core to do them. Other muscles kick in, which causes more or deeper imbalances. There's really no need to strengthen it because that's what happens when you bench, press, jump, run, etc...that's when the core gets worked out.

So, my advice is to no worry about extra time for core work, but to work on core activation, which can really be done anywhere. Breathing correctly is important, so no chest/neck breathing. You should feel it coming deeper/lower, like from your belly. It's all kind of synchronized, so breathing incorrectly will throw off core activation. Also do tissue work to smooth out trigger points or other tissue adhesions, like from scar tissue from injuries. This will help your alignment. These things limit or change your range of motion in muscles, which also throw off core activation. If your aligment is good, then your muscle/tissues are free to move correctly and vice versa....which means your core muscles should activate correctly.

This roller is what i use and it's the best one i've seen. Very durable compared to what is generally sold, even at sporting good stores. Check out their site, it's very informative.

http://tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-core-products/the-grid.html

[​IMG]

#151 RV6, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I lift daily for about an hour. Take pre and post workout drinks and eat food with heavy calories. Has worked really well. Many of times I have visited whataburger or McDonalds after lifting.

Ask Joe McKnight from the Jets, it works pretty well.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What do you guys do at the gym that it takes you an hour to complete a workout? I could see it if you're doing both cardio and lifting, but I don't see how it could take an hour to lift unless you're doing full body. Or maybe I'm just not doing enough?

14. snc

snc Member

An hour is a really long time to just lift weights.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, an hour is pushing it depending on what all you are doing. I'm usually around the 30-40 minute mark, but Im also doing different muscle groups at once so I go back and forth. Then add 30 - 40 minutes of running

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

An hour is on the high end, but it depends on where you work out. Ideally, you'd try to keep it closer to 45 mins, but if you have to worry about waiting for someone else, racking weights, trips to get water, walking from area to area, etc, then you can rack up another 5 or 10 mins. It's much easier to be efficient with time if you're working out at home or a gym that's not full.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I've been working out almost every day for 2-3 hours at the gym and I've had no side effects. You guys are exaggerating.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

^For the past 10 months - forgot to mention.

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I just started insanity, on day 2. I think at the end of this ordeal, i'm going to push weights.

20. sew

sew Member

The danger with working out for too long is that you put your body in a catabolic state. Meaning you've run out of gylcogen/glucose to use for energy and your body starts to break down tissue (ie. muscle tissue) to use for energy

It really depends on how intense your work out is. A 2-3 hr workout shouldn't be a problem as long as you're not overdoing it.