1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's Take Action Towards a Second Lane

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Sensei, Jan 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

A few days ago, someone I knew lost their life traveling towards Waco on highway 6.

For those of you that have never traveled northbound, after passing college station, the highway is only 1 lane going each way; a very dangerous situation especially when trying to pass up slower drivers.

Is there any way to lobby for a second lane, especially in the Bryan-Waco area? I've seen too many lives lost on that trecherous highway, and its so unfortunate. Where would I begin? Any thoughts?

2. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

First off...I'm terribly sorry that somebody you know has lost their life. Any accident like this is tragic.

I have taken this stretch of road numerous times to go see my in-laws in Fort Worth. Much of the way there, the road is marked with solid lines...YOU CANNOT PASS. Period. Most of the time there is not enough traffic to justify widening the highway.

It's expensive. The state would have to buy out the landowner to purchase the land to widen the highway. Once you get close to Waco it is a full highway.

You could call TXDOT, but I doubt it will happen.

3. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Thanks for the reply. I have seen some of the smaller towns make efforts to upgrade their 1-way streets, so it is a work-in-process. I bet many accidents of this proportion happen every day, and yet it goes on as if there are no solutions to the problem. All I see are "Please drive friendly" signs...

Just a heads up for people driving through that area: never get impatient and attempt to pass up cars, even if there are dotted yellow lines in between the one-lane streets.

Common driver's etiquette: If you see a car behind you that are going faster than you, you can veer into the shoulder so that they can pass you by without having to risk their life. Certain people are more comfortable driving certain speeds, so its important to respect that and allow others to pass by safely. Most of the time, the passerby will wave or flash their lights as a sign of gratitude.

Its understandable. Frustrations mount. Their adrenaline kicks in. Or they are rushed, and drive at great speeds. But if something goes wrong, they are facing a head-on collision with opposing 70mph traffic.

For now, education is the only option.