1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's play GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by southswmrchuck, May 31, 2012.

1. southswmrchuck

I know there are lots of threads out there that address these questions, but I didn't see any that encapsulated all of them. And now that the draft order is set we can make more realistic predictions. Let's play GM.*:)

If you could take the place of Daryl Morey as the Rockets GM from now until October, what moves would you make this summer? Here are some questions to consider:

Regarding our 1st round draft picks:
    --If you keep them who do you draft?
    --If you package the picks together in a trade deal what player(s) do you package them with and who/what are you looking to get in return? Keep in mind it can be current NBA players, a higher pick or a combination of both.*
    --Or use one and package the other with players?

Regarding our cap room and free agency:
    -- Do you re-sign Goran and/or Camby? What's the max you will spend on those two players? If their demand exceeds your max who are your backup targets?
    --What do you do with the remaining money?

Regarding a disgruntled Kyle Lowry and other potential trades:
    --If you haven't already traded him in the draft, what do you do with Kyle Lowry?
    --What other trades would you pursue?

Be creative with it, the possibilities are endless. Also, after your tenure as Rockets GM for the summer is over, what does the new Rockets roster/depth chart look like?

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I think I am going to love this game!

3. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

this looks more fun than 2k12 :) :grin:

4. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

So many possiblities.....just hope we dont stay put with no trades. I will be highly disappointed

5. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

First i change the uniforms to ketchup and mustard...

Than..:

I trade lowry, scola to lakerland for gasol
    I send gasol, kmart, dalembert to wizardville for #3 pick, r.lewis, nene
    Resign dragic to 7 mill for 4yrs
    Resign c.lee to 5 mill for 4 yrs
    resign camby 1yr 4 mill with 2nd yr team option of 3 mill
    Pickup buds team option
    Bring over motiejunas
    Trade ppat, morris, bud, dal 1st to boston for #21, #22
    Draft robinson(pf) at #3
    Draft henson(c) at #14
    Draft t.jones(sf)at #16
    Draft d.lamb(sg) at #21
    Draft m.teague(pg) at #22

Dragic/teague
    c.lee/d.lamb
    Parsons/t.jones/r.lewis
    T.robinson/motie/r.lewis
    Nene/camby/henson

Around 59mill in cap space

6 rookie first yr contracts...
    Parsons in 2nd yr of rookie contract...
    R lewis 22mill expiring...
    Nene at 13mill...
    Camby non guranteed after 1st yr...
    Dragic at 7mill...
    C.lee at 5mill...

Lewis expires...22mill
    Offer, agree and sign james harden to a SnT max deal for c.lee, camby
    We owe our 1st rd pick to nets (because we make playoffs)

Dragic/m.teague
    Harden/d.lamb
    Parsons/t.jones
    t.robinson/motie
    Nene/henson

Good now and in the future.......

1 person likes this.
  6. DreHNIC

DreHNIC Member

R. Lewis??? Of all people? And we wouldn't need all them damn rookies on one team, where would that take us?

7. allanivan

allanivan Member

Trade Lowry and Ppat to Portland for 6th and 11th.
    Trade Martin and Budinger to Wolves for D-Will, 18th, Miller
    Trade Scola and Dalembert to any team for future first round picks
    Resign Dragic to 7-8 mill per
    Resign Lee to 5-6 mill per
    Resign Camby to 2 mill per

6th pick: Andre Drummond
    11th pick: Perry Jones III
    14th pick: Tyler Zeller
    16th pick: Terrence Ross
    18th pick: Quincy Miller

Buyout Miller's contract and he is going to retire.
    Sign Ish Smith this off-season at 2-3mill per

Dragic/Ish/Fortson
    Lee/Ross
    Parsons/Q. Miller
    D-Will/Jones/D-Mo
    Drummond/Camby/D-Mo/G.Smith

Basically, this is a a Rebuild roster with Dragic, Lee, and Camby as veterans, and the potential of our roster will be off the roof.
    A lot of people may question about 5 rookies comes in and not enough PT for development, but I think its really the time for rockets to rebuild through Draft and stopping dreaming about Howard and Deron Williams Combo cause it is not going to happen.

8. allanivan

allanivan Member

oh, also Marcus Morris at 3/4 positions. And plz don't send our rookies to D-League and everyone wants to see rockets players compete in Rookie Sophomore games....

9. Memento

Memento Member

Dariel Maury is that you ?

1 person likes this.
  10. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Yes r.lewis... hes a 22mill expiring contract which opens up cap space to offer a max come next offseason to sign a harden type stud..

Why so we need that many rookies? Well because we would be reloading... only one rookie would start and that would be the #3pick in t.rob whos thw.most nba ready of the bunch...

4 vets starting with a rookie at pf(who play alot of college and is nba ready) with solid depth of rookies to develop behind them...

11. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Best chance at no1 pick next draft.

12. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

lmao lowry and ppat for 6 AND 11? get real

13. allanivan

allanivan Member

On kings board, a lot of fans are willing get Lowry for either 5th pic or evans. And imo lowry worth more than just 6th pick, give the Ppat or dale bear is quite realistic. A lot of us wouldn't even give up Lowry for rondo around the trade deadline cause he is a triple-double threat and he shots better than rondo.

14. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If the Kings were interested in a Evans for Lowry swap I would do that in a second. Evans has all the skill and ability to be a top scoring wing in the NBA. I worry about his 3 point shooting, but as long as he dosen't get 3 point happy and stays in attack mode then he would be ideal. Plus he's still young and can develop a 3 point game.

If we were to make this move, then it would have to be immediatley followed with the trading of Martin. Replacing one former King for another.

15. allanivan

allanivan Member

Well, I don't know if Terek is a good choice for our team since we already have very good offensive chemistry with dragic runs it. Reke dribble the ball too much. The other two pieces they talked about are jimmer and Marcus Thornton.

16. dje243

dje243 Member

Lowry to portland for the 6th pick.

Draft sullinger at 6 to play the five. Jeremy lamb at 14 if he slides. Melo or moultrie at 16.

Trade Scola and martin for a vetveteran pg and some future picks.

Resign dragic, Lee, and Camby.

Dragic, vet pg
    Lee, Lamb
    Parsons, bud
    D-Mo, Moultrie, Morris
    Sullinger,Camby

With that big rotation we should see some young competition at the 4 and 5 spots. At least one of those bigs should pan out into something special.

17. Houston288South

Another 6'9" Power Forward/Center?? I'm sorry. I want to stay away from this. We need length at the Center position...

18. Houston288South

Sullinger...Another 6'9" Power Forward/Center?? I'm sorry. I want to stay away from this. We need length at the Center position...

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Fun stuff. Here goes my take-

Best Player available-(keep in mind, I am NOT considering team needs, just my ranking of BPA. This is not how I think it will turn out in the end.)

1. Davis
    2. Robinson
    3. MKG
    4. Drummond
    5. Beal
    6. Barnes
    7. Jones III
    8. Sullinger
    9. Lillard
    10. Henson
    11. Zeller
    12. Lamb
    13. T. Jones
    14. Waiters
    15. Marshall
    16. Rivers
    17. Leonard
    18. Q. Miller

I dont believe the Rockets will be able to package picks to move up without a player like Kyle Lowry getting involved in the trade. I think Toronto's #8 pick looks the most likely.

You might be able to package #14+#16 for the Hornets #10 pick. That would work out well for both parties assuming the Hornets will value having two rookies they like as opposed to just one and Anthony Davis.

-The Lowry situation comes first on draft night. You take the best offer on Draft day deal IMO if you can get one done, or as far before July 11th as possible. If Lowry/Scola for Gasol is the best out there that might be the way to go.
    -after that situation is delt with, you sign Goran first and foremost on July 11th. Morey and co. need to do their homework first to find out what they realistically think Dragic will get. If he's going to command over 10 mil a season, they need to think about keeping Lowry moving forward, and letting Goran walk. Thats a judgement call, but they need to do their homework to find out precisely what they think every team involved will offer Goran.

-Camby comes second. There is no reason to give him a low-ball vet min contract. Talk to his agent about what their expectations are, what Houston can offer, and what other teams are offering him. Shouldn't be any reason to pleasantly negotiate a fair deal. Id Say 5.0 mil for 2 seasons + a team option 3rd year should be about right.

This is important. If a draft day deal cannot be had, and July 11th is approaching, Dragic and his agent should openly be seeking potential offers from other teams. Its the right thing for him and his agent to be doing. The best thing to do would be to move Lowry on the draft day, and then focus your efforts on Goran. If a deal isn't done on draft day, Lowry might be a Rockets next season after all, and the Rockets are taking a huge gamble at loosing Goran in free agency.

-Would also pursue Dwight Howard trade of course. I assume Orlando's ownership and leftover mgmt will be very active on draft day. This trumps everything, but any side moves involving moving up in the draft, or trading Lowry shouldn't really affect this too much.

-Gasol for Lowry/Scola should be in play as well

-All other minor deals can wait till post July 11th to see how the Dwight/Gasol deals turn out on draft day. Small deals involving role players should be on hold.

-Kevin Martin & Dalembert stay on roster for the time being until 2013 trade deadline when the can both be moved easily. Having that depth at the beginning of the season will be very helpful.

There are alot of different ways to go but here is what Im predicting-

-Pau Gasol gets traded to the Rockets for Lowry/Scola/ & Patterson
    -Rockets package #14 + #16 to move up to #10 to take Sullinger(I think he drops)
    -Goran is re-signed on a 4 year 40 mil contract with a team option on the last year.
    -Lee gets matched to MLE contract
    -Camby resigns on a 2 year 5 mil deal
    -Sign backup PG Ronnie Price to min. contract (Clear Brook High School homecoming)

Roster for 2012/13-

C-Camby/Dalembert/Smith
    PF-Gasol/Sullinger/Donatas/Morris
    SF-Parsons/Budinger/Morris
    SG-Martin/Lee/Budinger
    PG-Dragic/Price/Fortson

The Rockets are roughly around 65 mil with this current roster.

This can go alot of different ways depending on draft night, but if I had to guess the Rockets both move up a few spots in the draft to take a guy like Sullinger and Trade for Gasol.

At the end of the season, I wouldn't be shocked if Gasol/Sullinger/ & Dontas turns out to be a nice little 3 man big rotation with the other guys filling in minutes here and there.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

if the NC PG marshall is available...i say pick him up...

option one: Go all out for Deron and Dwight...

Option two:
    Resign Goran, Lee and Camby
    Trade Lowry and Scola to the Lakers for Pau
    KMart to Minny for a SG Webster and player to be named
    Develop Bud, Parsons and PPat...

Starting five: Goran, Lee, Camby, Pau and Bud/Parsons
    Bench: Webster, Rookie(Marshall), Parsons/Bud, and PPat