1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's get some muscle -- Trade for Kurt Thomas!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by derrock, Dec 8, 2002.

1. derrock

derrock Member

Like many of you, I'm very excited about the Rockets this season. I'm predicting a first round match up with the Lakers...and once we take out the ex-champs...anyways, enough about that dream. Let me tell you another dream I had.

I've noticed on the Rockets, Cato has become very valuable becomes he brings muscle off the bench. Well, that's the only guy the Rockets have. Let's get some muscle in the starting lineup. We need a guy who does the dirty work and plays strong D...that player is named Kurt Thomas. I know, Kurt plays center for the Knicks. But he's really a PF (6'9" 235) and he's a good rebounder and has become a good defender this year (2.1 bpg this year). He's also become a pretty good scorer (15ppg). Plus...he doesn't take sh*t from nobody (including his wife...but if JKidd can work it out, maybe Kurt can too).

How does this trade happen? Only works if the Knicks can get rid of a big contract...Sprewell...and get some young talent back. Of course, we don't want Spree. So, let's get a third team involved...N'Orleans:

To Houston
    K. Thomas

To NY
    Eddie
    Elden Campbell

To NO
    Spree

NY gets a potential super-star young talent (Eddie may also feel more comfortable back on the East coast) and a true center (and one who is a free agent next year). Hornets take the risk in Spree, thinking that he may be the final piece to the finals this year. Plus, with Magloire coming on this year, they maybe willing to part with Campbell. The Rockets get a true power forward (the type that rebounds!!) who can score and play center when needed.

Our Lineup

Kurt Thomas, MoT
    Rice, Kenny Thomas, Boki
    Yao-za, Cato
    Stevie, Moochie
    Cat, TMo, Hawkins

Thomas does make 3 million more than Eddie...maybe we can throw in Kenny Thomas (keep the confusion on the BBS forum to a minimum also).

All right...so what do you think? Haha...be kind...this is my first post.
    :)

#1 derrock, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2002
  2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Member

Kurt Thomas would be a perfect fit for the Rockets. He has got a big NBA body also. Pretty good trade idea I think.

The Knicks are going howhere, which means everyone is expendible.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I can't stand that thug. Eddie Griffin has a lot more potential and is a much better shot-blocker.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Member

How about we stand pat with our current team?

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Member

Yup.

And I like Kurt Thomas and think he'd be great on the Rockets, but for Eddie Griffin? AND you want to throw in KT to make salaries work? Work out a KT for KT and I'll back it. Griffin's the future. I'm not trading him for rebounds that Yao will get anyway (or if he doesn't, our guards will). We're rebounding fine.

Welcome to the board, though.

6. derrock

derrock Member

I'm not saying "thugs make the world go 'round" but a thug on our team can be a good thing. I think Kurt Thomas is one of those guys (like Stockton) who you think is a dirty mofo when you play against him. But, when he's on your team, you're happy he has your (or our team's) back.

Cuz this team cannot breed 3 superstars. I know Eddie has more potential and he's a better off-the-ball shot blocker (but I don't think he's a better straight up defender than Thomas-- IMO). In fact, I'd rather get rid of MoT or Rice if the Knicks were that dumb (and if some of their recent acquisitions, you never know). The problem with Eddie is his potential. He knows he can be great but he cannot be great on the Rockets. Not if Yao is here and Stevie is here. If Eddie accepted the sort of secondary role that he has to for the Rockets to become THE team, then lets keep him. But, I don't think he will especially when he looks over at Cleveland and sees Miles putting up big numbers. He may be only 20 and he may fill out but really...who knows? Who knows if he'll be a good rebounder and have a good low post game as well. So let's use these question marks to our advantage and trade him for a veteran who is willing to do the dirty work and play the secondary role to Yao and Stevie.

7. JLB

JLB Member

I say we stand pat also. Unless of course someone wants MoT. Kenny I think will be glad to sign a Cuttino type contract for the Rockets. With EG and Yao I think KT's size is taken care of.

Wasn't Detroit interested in MoT at one time?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Something tells me that Eddie would fold under the NY spotlight making us look like dirty bandits...

The question is whether we want to win now or watch Eddie grow into a superstar caliber player. If he pans out, I think NY would offer more than just Kurt Thomas to get him.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

When he was worth half as much as he is now. Joe Dumars is all about the bargain savings...

10. derrock

derrock Member

Don't forget...Eddie's from the East Coast...so maybe NY would trade more but who else would we want on that god-forsaken team. Maybe they'd give us a first rounder too :D. In fact, I just found out Kurt Thomas is 30 (originally thought he was 27 or 28). I still go by my "let Yao and Stevie be the stars on the team" theory but NY should give us a first rounder too (of course, they wouldn't do it for next year when they go for James).

#10 derrock, Dec 8, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2002