1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's get rid of Harden? Really?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ranny, Feb 12, 2016.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This level of hyperbole undercuts your point. You just come across as silly.

1 person likes this.
  2. DreamEarlNolan

It's pretty simple what SF3isBack!! is saying. Currently Dwight's salary is in the top 5 of the NBA. Dwight is not a top 5 player. He has not produced to the level of his contract. I like Dwight, but if he is seeking another max contract, I hope the Rockets don't resign him, because I agree with SF3isBack!! that that money could be spent better elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

lol no, YOU are just not getting it.

1) Harden is getting paid the MAX he can get paid. He would be getting paid twice what Dwight is getting paid. You are basing your argument on the assumption that Harden's market value is $15m. It's not. Harden's market value is double that, and his value to the Houston Rockets is another $10m on top of that.

2) Take this coming summer. You don't pay Dwight $20m. You use the cap space to sign someone else or a group of other players. Now you're capped out. That's it. You go out and play. An alternative here is: you sign players with that cap space to strengthen any other position on the team. Better SF, better bench, whatever floats your boat. Now you're capped out. GUESS WHAT? You can sign Dwight Howard for $20m. Since neither you or I are the owner, that's a ****ing fantastic proposition. WITHOUT CAPSPACE, WITHOUT GIVING UP WHO YOU CAN SIGN, you can STILL add old, creaky, declining Dwight Howard. The price doesn't matter at that point, because you can't sign anyone else anyway.

Dwight's $20m doesn't really hurt us. Doesn't stop us from signing max-level FA's. Doesn't stop us from getting veteran minimum signings. He doesn't demand the ball in the post or take many shots anymore. We have a solid, young, developing backup for him.

Everything you are suggesting as a better plan is possible AND THEN you can sign Dwight as well.

What's more interesting here is, who are these 2-3 GOOD players you're aiming to sign for a total of $20m? lol You won't get Jordan Clarkson and Nicolas Batum for $20m. You think that's going to push us over the top?

#83 Mathloom, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah there was a thread on this. No max for Dwight but you ideally want to keep him. That was before the team completely imploded

5. malakas

malakas Member

Statements that leadership skills are linked with salary deserve such answers because they are not realistic.
    Especially when the comparison is with Hardens' leadership skills.
    The NBA is not a free market. And very very soon , in a few months Dwight won't be paid top 5 and in 2 years he won't be in top 20 highest salaries.

Unless he gets traded to a team that gives him the 5 year max.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yes it will push us over the top if you add the fact that we can get rid of other players and add their salaries to Dwight's current salary. Actually you're not getting what I'm saying either. Dwight essentially asked for a pay raise. You say his 20 mil doesn't hurt us and then you talk about signing vet min players. This is our problem now, lol. We don't need Dwight we need players who can score on their own and play defense to take pressure off Harden. But still my overall point isn't even those things, it's that Dwight is being paid a high salary wants more and is on the decline I couldn't make it more simpler than that. He is not held to the same standard as Harden despite being paid like superstars like Lebron. Yet he is not compared to those players here. On here he's just poor Dwight not much accountability he doesnt get murdered like Harden.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

+1 reppedThey seem to not get it, LOL. It's actually that simple. He's being paid like alot of money to play subpar defense to Andrew Bogut and yet people see Harden has our big problem, lol. Well defense is our problem and Dwight supposed to be the best defensive big in the league last I checked.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

4 stars eh? You guys are in denial.

This is one of those situations where both sides are right, in a way. What Harden is doing his season is not conducive to winning.

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

You are correct that Bird rights allows you to go over the cap but an unsigned free agent still counts against his teams cap until he's signed or renounced.

In Howard's case he makes just over $22m, so this summer if he becomes a free agent then he immediately counts $33m against the cap of the team that he finished the season with. So as soon as Dwight becomes a free agent then his former team's cap space immediately decreases by $33M until he's signed or renounced.

If Dwight's team wanted to sign both Dwight and Durant then they'd likely have to sign Dwight first and they'd need to have enough space to sign Durant after signing Dwight.

The reason for that is that in order to sign Durant first then that team would have to have enough cap space to cover both Durant's max deal + Dwight's $33M cap hold. Assuming that Dwight's new deal won't start at $33M, then it would be cheaper to sign Dwight first and in that case you'd need enough cap space to cover Dwights new starting salary (less than $33m) + Durant's max salary. The difference in the cap space needed for the two scenarios is $33M - 1st year of Dwight's new deal.

In this specific scenario (also signing Durant), Bird Rights don't really help you because Dwight's new starting salary will likely be less than his $33M cap hold.

#89 aelliott, Feb 13, 2016
  10. Mr. Clutch

There are literally no good options. Either trade him or hope he cares again.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So you're going with the Harden doesn't care angle? hmm.

12. Mr. Clutch

I'll go with the he's still out of shape and doesn't play defense angle at the halfway point

I suppose he could be doing that and truly caring, but then id be concerned for his mental state

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Bro, please understand:

Signing Dwight does not mean you can sign $20m worth of players. That's not how the CBA works. Read aelliott's post. We can have the cap space we want to have, whether we trade Dwight or not. You let him walk, you can sign 1 or 2 guys, if they agree to join a lower playoff seed. OR you can sign one of those guys and Dwight Howard. Which one do you prefer?

You can't just get rid of players. You trade players, and if you want to get nothing in return you have to add a draft pick, usually a very good one. That's losing an asset. That's possible, again, under any scenario. Under the cap, over the cap. You'd have to give up a pretty nice first rounder to get rid of Brewer, for example.

At the end of the day, I think Howard is done here but you're going to be pretty angry when you realize the limited possibilities if we let Dwight walk.

14. aelliott

So Harden is out of shape and doesn't care yet he's scoring 28 per game with a TS% of .594, 7 ast & 6.3 reb. If he can do that then he's obviously the most talented offensive player in the history of the game. Good to know.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

When I said get rid of I meant trade. I know exactly what I was talking about. As in Dwight plus other players can net us players we want. You can then trade those players in the off season if you want.

16. DreamEarlNolan

He's either first or second in minutes per game, so I'm pretty sure he's in shape. As far as defense, I think people often confuse being a poor defender with being a lazy one. I'm not saying Harden doesn't take plays off, but almost all players do. The problem is he's just not a good off the ball defender. He ball watches which often leads to him losing his man. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I don't think Harden is lazy.

17. Mr. Clutch

Other than ts, you posted volume stats. His plus/minus, ORtg and drtg are nothing special.

He is ridiculously talented which is why he was #2 in MVP voting last year and why he's so disappointing this year

He's arguably the most talented player in the league after LeBron and Curry

#97 Mr. Clutch, Feb 13, 2016
  18. malakas

malakas Member

Check again then. Coz he isn't. And one good defensive center can't fix on his own a horrible defence that is one of the very worst in the league.

Oh and the better defensive centers than him..they aren't AVAILABLE.

But in this offseason since Dwight is so worthless you can have Al Jef for cheap and our team can be historical next season.

It isn't feasible Dwight's first year to be 33 per unless the BRI is again huge.
    Well I'm no cap expert but I think his first year max is 30.

A) We sign Dwight at 25 per. How much capspace we need to clear to sign Durant?

B) Dwight walk. How much capspace we need to sign Durant + a Center like Whiteside ( 21 per)?

19. aelliott

There's not a single volume stat in there. Those are all averages.

Do you know what volume stats are?

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Guys- have you tried this in 2k yet? what's the predicted wins??? :) lol, I'm just messing, I just think some posters are funny if they actually think some stupid gm will take our role players for another star (not talking about the dwight/harden stuff), but the actual posts where someone's going to take bev/Brewer/Jones for LeBron James or something, rofl. I'm not against that trade though, so if Morey can make something out of nothing then GREAT!

But.... I have a feeling this is just going to be a ****ty year for the Rockets and us (crazy fans who are dedicated to them) , Hey... At least the Astros haven't ****ed up yet :), can switch to them for a bit (soon).