1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lets discuss the coming taxmaggedon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by eddiewinslow, Sep 23, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Every time I see or hear someone say something like this I break something that person owns and needs. When they object to it, I merely point out that now they will have to spend some money to replace it, and that according to their logic this is good for the economy.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thinly disguised "Will anyone kill my dad for me?" thread.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Actually it is great for the economy. That is why ww2 got America out the of the depression.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Your dad has an estate of over $5 million and you are complaining that it will be taxed before you get your hands on it?

Boo freaking hoo.

5. GladiatoRowdy

It doesn't bleed anything while they are alive, it taxes the income that their heirs receive from the estate.

6. GladiatoRowdy

The exclusion amount is over $5 million this year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estate_tax_in_the_United_States

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Ah, 8th grade social studies. Good times. Columbus worked peacefully with the Native Americans. George Washington was a swell fellow. And WWII got the nation out of the Great Depression.

Since war is so great for the economy and only bad because people die, why don't two large nations agree to stage fake massive wars against each other 24/7?

They'll build large ships and planes and just take turns blowing each others ships/planes to pieces. All of it will be coordinated in a manner to prevent anyone from ever getting hurt or killed.

So, what say you? Good plan or great plan?

Or, is it a completely idiotic plan because it's based on a false premise?

Frederic Bastiat is turning in his grave.

8. Steve_Francis_rules

Wasn't that called the Cold War? It went on for 40+ years.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

For one, the thread is about the coming change, which lowers the $5 million threshold apparently.

Second, I think it is a bad argument to say "oh, well at least your dad has an estate large enough for this to be an issue. cry-baby!!". If my family was poor(er), could I not also object to a 55% estate tax, even if it was unlikely to impact me? The validity of the tax should be argued based on its merits - why 55%, why over $1 million, how does it help, how does it hurt, etc.? Not "you must come from wealth so sure you oppose this"...

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

WW2 forced the expansion of manufacturing efficiency, capacity and technology in the US. Post war exports to rebuild the destroyed nations continued it.

The GI bill educated a generation.

The argument for estate taxes is partly about maintaining an equitable wealth distribution. The self-replicating nature of great wealth threatens democracy. It's partly about funding the nation without causing undo hardship. But I can tell you anybody with a large estate can arrange it so the future generations get the money and not the government. Getting your estate taxed at the max rate is really just a stupidity test.

#30 Dubious, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia and at peace with Eurasia, except when Oceania was at war with Eurasia and at peace with Eastasia.

1 person likes this.
  12. thumbs

Unfortunately this "wealth" is not as easily defined as you would have it. Family farms are disappearing, for instance, because the land is technically worth "x" amount on paper, but "x" amount cannot be achieved until it is sold, often for less than the appraised price. The big agri-corporations love to pounce on these sweet parcels, and the children of hard working people get screwed. The same is true for many small businesses. IMO, the inheritance tax would be more fair if it were based on the revenue received for an average of the prior five years of income derived from that land or small business.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The same could be said of all taxes. Doesn't the worker deserve his wages more than the government? Doesn't the shopper deserve his spending money more than the government? Doesn't the landowner deserve his money more than the government? You still need to pay for government somehow.

14. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fEdzkmhwf5k?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. rage

rage Member

First off, I get no inheritance from my parents, zil. But I think the estate tax is the worst tax there is. Why? It's the money that has already been taxed before why do you tax it again? Naming it a transaction so you can tax it is stupid. It has no basis, you do that and you can give any reason to tax anything at all. eg, you lend a person $10, it needs to be taxed because it's a transaction, that money will be used to do something ...

On the other hand, I think you should tax that estate while it was growing. Tax the gain that was made from investment higher than income tax rather than less. That money was indeed gained with very little effort. The only thing you do to acquire that return is to have a lot of money to start.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It is literally one of the least important problems in the world.

17. thumbs

Jethro Tull the guy in the left, right? ;)

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lol. The ole family farm red herring. Nice job.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I thought he was joking about the 8th grade history. Korea? Vietnam? Laos? Cambodia? Afghanistan? Iran? Iraq? Or the dozens of other locations where the so called proxy wars were fought? How soon people forget.

Don't want to derail the thread, so, I think these estate tax exemptions are a little more complicated than what they seem to be lead on in this thread.

20. thumbs

Appropriate comeback, CW. Your herring response is red and the smell exceeds just being fishy.