1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be Realistic

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dexkk, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dexkk

dexkk Member

With the players getting accustomed to Adelman's system, we have been unstoppable. Granted we had an easy February schedule but the confidence was building and it seemed like the players were starting to believe in the system and in themselves.

With Yao, Mac and the support cast starting to gell together, They were capable of playing at the level of 2-5 seed. What I mean is that even if they were 7th seed at the end of the season, their level of playing was higher. They were definately playoff bound and a huge contender for a title.

Without Yao, we are still a good team. We can still make the playoffs and we can still pull off an upset. However, the title seems a little far from our reach yet never impossible. I would think they are capable of playing at the level of 6-9 seed.

Something to look forward to:
    Continuous development of our rookies. I expect that with Yao gone, more improvements will be seen in our rookies. They will need to step up and show us what they got if we want to see the playoffs.
    Secondly, I hate to say it but Rockets fans need to understand that looking forward to the next season is a priviledge. There are many teams in the NBA who has no hope today and tomorrow. We always have something to look forward to today and even tomorrow.

On another note: I don't think this will be Tmac and Yao's last season. Tmac will be here next season and so will Yao. These two players have great chemistry despite what *** and *** contradict. With another great pick like brooks or landry, development of our current rookies, couple of good offeseason pickup/trade and understanding Adelman's system, next season will be fun to watch.

2. BlakeB

BlakeB Member

As heartbreaking as Yao's absence is and will continue to be, all hope is not lost. We have a pretty deep team, we play good defense, we still have T-mac (who hasn't been going off offensively lately, though he still can), we have a good coach and system, Jackson/Skip/Brooks are doing great in their respective roles, Landry/Scola are good young players who are coming into their own and with some added time will likely become dominant players (perhaps even this season if they can endure the length of the season while playing at their current high level), and we still have good ol' Uncle Deke (he's ancient but in controlled minutes can still be a defensive force, a shot blocker, and a solid rebounder on both ends).

I also would not bet on the Rockets winning a title this year; we thought the West was stacked last season but this season is even more ridiculous (even though no one in the west is as scary as Phx, SA, and especially Dallas were last reg. season, there is an unprecedented balance of talent and power). And, of course, whomever wins the West still has to face the daunting task of beating (presumably) the Celtics or Pistons. The Rockets are a solid, well coached, and deep team... with Yao, I think and thought we had a serious shot to surprise some people and win a title, but now without Yao... hmm.

Our team is still good enough to make the playoffs, our team is likely still good enough to win in the first round, and with a little luck maybe we could sneak our way into the WCF. Beyond that though, I think I'd really have to be looking through some rose colored glasses to say we have a shot at the finals, much less a title. Still, you never know-as they say, and in several months time who knows where our team and other teams will be.

Personally, if we can get past the first round and be competitive in the 2nd series I would be happy. Indeed, my first thought today when I came in from my job interview at about 1:45 and saw the breaking news on ESPN: "Crap... crap... well, if we can still be competitive, make the playoffs, and win a series I'll be happy." If we do so, I think T-mac's future in Houston is secured for a few more seasons; if not though... it'll be interesting what our management does personnel wise. I think we should hang on to T-mac for as long as possible; he may be injury prone, and he's certainly not the player he was when he was lighting it up in Orlando, but he's still a great, top 15 player, a great leader, a great scorer and playmaker, and unquestionably a great person to boot. Of course, I'm a T-Mac fanboy through and through. Have been since his days in Orlando when he was my favorite player despite the Rockets being my favorite team.

Either way, the topic poster is right, there is still a lot to be optimistic about in Houston; both in the present and the future of our team. We got a lot more going for us than 80% of the rest of the league, I mean, just ask a Bobcat or Bucks fan how hopeful they are about their team this year and for the next few years and I bet you'd see some real sorrow there.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

The guy that Yao cannot get along with hasnt been born yet.

Forget about championship. Play as much hard as we can. I am not wrorried about playoffs this year. It would be sweet to kick Denver or GS out of the playoff though. cant stand their gimme offense, broken down defense. i will be watching Scolar, landry, and Brooks. Landry might come out to be Amare lite, I can only dream, cant I. :D

4. blender

blender Member

A playoff series win should be the goal. If they do it, it would be a huge step forward for the team and especially McGrady.

5. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Now all the pressure is on TMac, and I hope he could handle it well.

6. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

Why did Rox not sign a center? Why did they sign Bobby Jones? Why?

What if Rox get PJ Brown? Hornets are eager to strengthen their five, but even Yao's out Rox still do not worried about their five.

7. kwng

kwng Member

I raised this issue back then days ago. Rockets should have gone for a back up centre who is reasonably young and offensively quite good like Magloire.
    Dallas would not go for some one who is washed up but then it's too late now. Instead we signed Bobby and chase after an illusive Brent Barry. Brent Barry case was just too suspicious when SAS trade him to be released.
    P.J. Brown is also good but much older than Magloire. The news on Yao injury dropped like H-bomb! Many fans will be nursing serious mental injury now. I have faith our young guys (rookies) can put a strong fight to get into the playoff but come playoffs, Deke will be winded, and Deke offensive power
    has dropped as he aged. So we need a strong back up centre.

I do hope we can get a good centre soon as we'll need it.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I thought the team was good enough this year to win it all, the chemistry was building and the pieces were in place for a good run.

Now, I don't believe we can win it all, but do want to see the team continue to grow so that when the big man gets back, they can take off at the BEGINNING of the season and sustain it for the number 1 seed.

2008-9 is our year baby....

DD

9. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

If we win a playoff series this year, it will be one of the greatest accomplishments in Rockets history. This is an opportunity now to let Scola and Landry develop more low post prescence and game, and hopefully if we get into the playoffs, all of your young guys will see what playoff basketball is like and are prepared for it next year when (hopefully, again barring injury) we make our run next year as I believe our team next year will be substantially better than this year if for nothing else, the experience everyone will be bringing in.