1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be realistic for a second...What are people actually expecting from the Rockets roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, May 21, 2014.

1. sutton

sutton Member

Lin 1/3 time at SG PER 19.3

2. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

lol at least he implies Beverly iS overrated...
    Jeremy Lin if on a pg dominant team would be playing statwise similar to Dragic or Lowry but since hes on the Rockets everyone is trying to get points. Dwight is pretty much the same, hes ok but without a cp3 he is just great not elite. Harden thinks hes LBJ but plays like Carmelo when the time counts. Parsons cant play D but thinks he can, the only consistently good player i see is Asik, no complaining just pure work and does his job.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

he is overrated and has never been past the 2nd round. Had a LOADED squad and a black coach that he wanted. He choked a couple times these playoffs as well

4. conquistador#11

i'm tired of not winning a championship. if carmelo brings that, then i'd be happy.
    but i think this team has issues that go beyond just bringing in another star. I can easily imagine an L.A 2012 situation with the addition of melo.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Our roster isn't very balanced. But I expected at least a first round win.

It's settled, then. Lin > Harden.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Probably not. The Rockets are a partially built team and are very young. The Rockets are around the sixth or seventh best team in the NBA and will probably continue to improve. The Rockets performed about how I thought they would this year. The Rockets have work to do to become a true contender, but Morey continues to work on that. Pretty much every team in the league would like to have Popovich as their coach, but he isn't available.

7. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

You can't just talk about players' talent without mentioning the coach's ability to use them. Put it this way, if McHale has the entire Spurs' roster instead, can he lead them to WC finals? On the other hand, would Pop let Harden go iso 80% of the times? Would he kill Linsanity the way McHale did? I kid, I kid on the last part. I swear I'm not trying to start anothre Lin war;)

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

I expect them to not look like headless chickens for .9 seconds.

I expect better coaching.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i expect the rockets to realize that dwight is in the last years of his prime and how good he can be on a team that has a system for offense and defense. if they're gonna waste that opportunity then why the hell would they want dwight? why not trade him and stop bs'ing about a championship.

a player like dwight dooesnt come around every year. rockets wanna waste that then they're doing a huge disservice to him and basketball.

i'll wait till this offseason. its gonna show how much rockets care. they brought mchale bad, thats not a good sign, but i'll wait, impatiently

10. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I understood some of the frustration with this team but all the hate going around is really just plain dumb.

Obviously this team's season is an overall failure. No denying that. You can't go into the season and playoffs talking about being championship contenders and then get ousted in the first round. It's unacceptable.

That being said, there is also no denying that this team had some great moments. Howard solidified himself as the without a doubt top center in the NBA again. Harden showed himself to be an unstoppable offensive force and 4th quarter monster. He was a major frustration in the playoffs but I'm not ready to give up hope in him. He is still young and his game is far from complete.

And this overall is far from complete. We finished with the 5th best record in the NBA with the worst and most incomplete roster. We were the 3rd youngest team in the league and the youngest team in the playoffs. No way our roster competes with the talent, maturity and experience of the rosters of the Pacers, Spurs, OKC, Clippers, and Heat. That was obvious in our play in the playoffs. All the defensive mistakes and turnovers with horrible shots and plays shows as much.

Bottom line is that this team is far from complete. This team has a lot of changes it needs to make in talent and maturity before it can honestly say it's title or bust. But with two cornerstone pieces in Howard and Harden, with cap space and assets to improve the roster with an innovative GM, the sky is the limit.

11. langal

langal Contributing Member

Whether or not we can keep the team together and wait for it to become "complete" is very doubtful. Dwight has 2 years left. Going to have to overpay to keep Parsons here.

I say we pull the trigger and get a real coach and try to win now.

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Gotta love clutchfans

13. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

HMMMM....HAVING THE BEST PICK AND ROLL DUO IN THE NBA AND NEVER USING IT...

I WONDER WHY WE UNDERACHIEVED THIS YEAR>

14. wise_man

wise_man Member

Oops another disgruntled lin fan.

15. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

A capable starting lineup that can compete and be tough, with a reliable veteran bench who can produce through out the season and playoffs. Thats all I want from the Future Houston Roster.

After McHales contract is done,we get a real coach.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It really is a broken record

Haren no d, iso, Howard no pick and roll, Bev no gooder than Lin D, Mchale hold back Linsanity. Linsanity Linsanity, Linsanity, thats how rockets win title.

17. sun12

sun12 Member

If McHale were on the Spurs bench, Duncan would have retired by playing 38 min/game, McHale would hate using that Spurs bench, and Spurs bench would be useless under McHale.

People do not realize that benches are what you make them to be. If you do not play them, they will always be bad. If you play them, they might not be good, but you might find some gems there.

18. TheJet

TheJet Member

Good post, especially the last time. I'm a broken record about this kinda stuff but people need to be careful where they set their expectations. I was hoping for a second round appearance this year. Anything past that was exceeding my expectations. So yes, I was disappointed in the early exit. But it wasn't like we were all thinking WCF, right?

I don't subscribe to the "Every year you don't win a title you're failing" theory, so it's quite possible that I'm the odd man out in thinking this way. I used to live and die with my teams and it became so frustrating it was affecting other areas in my life. Now I enjoy watching all sports and cheering for my squads, but if we lose, even in heartbreaking fashion, I've learned to let it go even if it takes a few (many) minutes of venting.

I agree with the other poster that pointed out that we have two elite level players, on most nights a better than average SF in Parsons, and basically filler and role players making up the rest of the team. When the journeymen and role players were hitting shots and on their game we looked fantastic. When they were cold it took herculean efforts from Harden, Howard and occasionally Parsons and Lin to get wins.

And I can't forget coaching. There's something to be said for being a players coach and keeping all those egos in check. But we HAVE to get someone in here to kick some asses and instill some defensive pride. It was visibly noticeable when Sampson left how this team started to decline. If we have to keep McHale so be it, but let's surround him with some ball busters.

Enjoy the ride indeed.

19. TheJet

TheJet Member

Fixed, sorry.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Did you go to the Howard signing parade this summer when thousands of rockets fans waited outside in the 100degree heat ?

Anyways, I had the same expectations as morey and the organization, that was to get home court advantage & make it to the 2nd round.

We finished 2-4 with a first round exit, just like we did last year to a weaker team than okc.