1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's be honest, Davis Mills is GUTTER TRASH

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by my time to shine, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing.

I was a Mills supporter, but have lost hope given his performance this year. However, I still struggle with what happened to the guy that looked promising at the end of last year? Did he regress? Obviously, he's not improved and looks terrible. Was last year's finish an aberration? Potentially, he took advantage of a hot streak, that he'll never recreate. Or is it something else?

He's got virtually the same assets, except a better RB and OL. So those improvements should make his job easier, right? The biggest difference is a new offensive system and OC. Pep is a QB guru, but his play calling has been lacking. Play design? I'm not an expert, but watching other games/OCs our scheme isn't very imaginative or effective. So what happened to this guy? Curse of Texans qbs...

I share this because if Cas decides to draft a QB in RD1, I agree with others who believe he has to bring in a new staff to develop the new QB and offense.

3. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I agree with you to an extent, but I also believe that Davis plays well when he doesn’t feel pressure to perform. Hence he played his best in last years games when we were already getting blown out and no one expected anything from him. Now that he feels the pressure to perform or lose his job, he’s regressed mentally. Pep is also at fault because there is a lack of offensive discipline in general and that would make it hard for any qb to succeed. Despite all that, if Mills was it we would at least be seeing consistent flashes and unfortunately they just haven’t been there.

4. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

It seems to me Mills is making different kinds of throws this year compared to last year.

Here's his throw chart in 2021: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/davis-mills/MIL678397/2021

And his chart in 2022: https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/davis-mills/MIL678397/2022

Based on my perception and the chart, he spread the ball pretty evenly last year, but this year, he is attempting a lot more of these out pattern throws within 10 yards. I don't know if the defenses have adjusted, and these are the throws that defenses are giving him. Or these throws are being dictated by play-calling due to the conservative nature of the offense. While these sideline throws come with lower risks of turnovers, they are lower percentage throws, and Mills just isn't good at them.

Up to this point, I think the team has been playing not to lose. As they approach 7 or 8 losses, they'll have nothing to win for. I hope that they will then open up the offense, and truly let Mills either sink or swim.

TheFreak, Shark44 and ROCKSS like this.
  5. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Bernie,
    You may be on to something. You know what stands out from both year's charts is how well he throws the deep balls to the right and left--yet we're not doing it often. I also think he did better last year when we up tempo. Maybe Pep will try some different stuff the 2nd half, because this ain't working.

eliefor3 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. raining threes

How do y'all think Stroud, Young,Levis would do tomorrow night with Moore,Dorsett as their WR1, WR2? Who's WR3?

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

At this point its up to Mills to just go make something happen. Pep Hamilton aint it. He has no sort of timing or feel and has destroyed Mills as a prospect. Davis should just go play streetball off script and try to regain some traction whether he stays here or not. He's too pure. Does what the coach/play requires and deals with the outcome. Time to let it rip!

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Here is where I am on Mills.
    Last year there were many blow outs. Blow outs=Prevent Defense.
    This year we are barely competitive enough to make games a bit closer, meaning Mills is not playing against the 3rd string in the 4th quarter.
    Better competition lesser offensive results.
    I think he has a long career ahead of him as a capable #2. Nothing wrong with that. Texans took a shot based on his high school pedigree. And his lack of playing time in college probably masked his flaws. Not much tape.
    sometimes you get a steal sometimes you get a Mills.

I'm torn on Bryce Young. Undersized, but the dude wins. He and Metchie have chemistry for sure. I do not dig in too deep on analytics, and I tend to read what the more enlightened posters have to say about such things. But Young seems to pass the eye test. He is doing exceptional despite this years version of Bama is not the product we are all used to.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bryce Young might be the best QB this year. That in itself might not be saying alot though. The very real situation of an NFL defender teeing off on him or just falling on him on a routine play is scary. With this sketchy offensive line and lack of a QB friendly system it just doesnt seem to bode well for a long term career IMO.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree for the most part. The video above shows some weird OL play and frankly exposes a dysfunctional offense. Some of that is on Mills, some on Pep and some on the rest of the O. The net is an inconsistent product. Will that get better, stay the same or get worse as the season progresses? We shall see.

At some point I'd like to see how Kyle Allen does running the team, to give us some comparison. With the hits Mills is taking, that may come sooner rather than later.

I've not been truly excited about any of this year's QBs. Young's size is certainly a concern, but in a response to another poster's concern about his size, I reminded myself of Fran Tarkenton who is likely about the same size as Young. Young may be an exception to the norm, he's certainly got the intangibles of an NFL QB. While I'm really excited about the top 2 defensive players in the 2023 draft, I'll trust Cas/scouts on what they decide. He's done pretty well with the draft so far.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I also think if you put Peyton Manning on the field with the coaching and dearth of talent we posses, he would never dawn a HOF jacket.

This is the chicken or the egg fiasco. Get a supposed stud QB and watch him get the snot beat out of him until we get better (Carr 2.0). Or get all the complementary pieces around then draft a QB and prey he is special (Savage, Oswiler). Who knows, that is the problem.

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wait until you guys see how much he has improved during this extra-long week.
    :D ... upgraded to normal sidewalk trash.

Fulgore likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yep. True "damned if you do damned if you dont" territory. Personally I feel the defense could be closer to being impactful with a couple more pieces. Load up that side of the ball and the OL in this draft and set the table for that blue chip guy next season to hit the ground running in 2024.

15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The only flaw i see in the Kyle Allen plan is...........
    If he goes out there and gets us a couple of wins we fall in draft order.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Lol, yeah we don't want to do that!

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-10-2022-season-rankings

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So you are for tanking on purpose? I hear a lot of people wanting us to lose and not try Allen. I wonder who would start bit*ching if the Warriors ended up getting Victor Wembanyama by tanking this season for that #1 pick.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tanking “on purpose” when you’re 1-6-1 is being generous. This team is bereft of talent at the most important positions. Throw Allen out there - it won’t matter much and maybe everyone can come to terms with the situation.

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Difference is Warriors are good.
    Whether the Texans are tanking or not, none of us know. But, regardless we are a bad team.
    This late in the season it might be time to evaluate all players and think towards next year.

If we are tanking this year I'm ok with it. Worked for the Astros