1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let us not forget about Spanoulis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dram1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dram1

dram1 Member

With all the Brandon Roy versus Rudy Gay and Carney versus Brewer talk going on in the draft (understandably so), it seems many have forgottenabout Vassilis Spanoulis.

I think he have a great impact on this team as a combo one or two guard.
    He is tenacious and highly motivated to succed. He pushes a lot like Nash (I know he is not Nash) and has a good outside shot. I think he would be a great fit on this team as a backup pt or shooting guard with the potential of becoming a fluent point guard after further devlopment and NBA style adaptation.

What do you all think?

2. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Fair enough. I think it's safe to say that he's been lost in the shuffle.

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

spank who?

big yawn.

4. JamesC

JamesC Member

If he comes over then he comes over, until then I'm not worried about him.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Adding VSpan to the team this year would be a positive step in retooling the Rockets with youth, athletisicim and talent. If he were entering the draft this year I believe he would be a 1st round pick. He has only increased his stock with his play over the last 2 years and he was almost a 1st round pick a couple of years ago.

VSpan could be to the Rockets what Manu is to the Spurs.

6. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The problem with V-span is that it'll take breaking into our MLE to bring him over. So you got to weigh what kind of player we could get with the full MLE versus what we could get for splitting the MLE between V-span and someone else.

7. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

The other problem is that JVG doesn't like foreign players on his roster. :confused:

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I am glad yall have forgotten about the guy. Nobody has seen him play yet everyone talks about him constantly.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It is a big risk losing Mike James to pick up an unproven VSpan considering we have only TWO guards on our roster right now. Use the MLE on a player that is ready to contribute now ...not some guy that will take a couple years to develop.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bingo! We must use the MLE to get the best impact player possible. That means it is very unlikely VSpan signs this summer, which is fine by me.

11. Ryan Bowen MVP

Time Warner dosen't offer a Euro-Basketball channel to subscribers ;)

People that have seen him play or videos have made threads before. If I remember correctly, he is very good at driving to the basket, but his speed and quickness is in question as to how he'll do against NBA players. He has an okay outside shot, good defender. A lot of comparisons to Ginobli, but I don't think he is on his level yet, a least not until he has NBA experience.

12. dram1

dram1 Member

I'm not too big on Mike James.

He seems to create a lot of confusion on offense as he always looks to score first. This will not go well with JVG as he is riding the Ming Train with TMac as the engineer. He wants a player to clean the trains wheels and occasionally blow his whistle...NPI.

13. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Yao, Wesley sorta looks Asian too

14. dram1

dram1 Member

I bet Rudy Gay will ride Ming's train, iMean on the Ming Train if we draft him.

But I still think V Span is a great option if no one eslse is there. The worst that can happen would be that he stays overseas fro one more year.

15. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

No worries. Neither will be a member of the Rockets next season so we can all focus on this year's draft and more reasonable free agent acquisitions.

16. rserina

rserina Member

While Spanoulis intrigues me, I don't think anyone should expect him to contribute much at all in the early stages. He doesn't have a great jumper, he tends to play out of control some, and he relies on athleticism to get past players in Europe, but that may not work as well here. The kid needs 1-2 years to adjust to the American game and develop his jumper before he can push for any serious playing time at all.

17. tmac4prez

tmac4prez Contributing Member

Thats why I say we trade Spanoulis in the middle of the second round for somthing because we can sign as many drafted rookies as we want right?

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I had some Spanoulis at a Greek restaurant the other night. It was fantastic.

19. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

Yao is a foreign play. :p

20. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

hahaha yeahh wesley looks liek a monk, but truthfully, I don't really think we should get him this year, maybe next year, cuz he still has that contract with europe and we have to buyout his contract, and i want to use our MLE for some other people this year. I say just get him next year maybe.