1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s talk generators...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 18, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would assume they are, but in a situation like the snow storm last year, they might be covered in snow, or have little light to charge.....during the winter months.

DD

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The house we just bought is getting this one installed before we move in.

https://www.generac.com/Industrial/...rd/protector-qs-series-48kw-gaseous-generator

But I also still want to get Tesla solar panels plus several powerwalls installed because I'm planning to buy two Teslas. I also like the idea of being pretty much independent from the grid.

Probably not the solar roof because the roof of the house is still good, and the roof is unnecessarily expensive.

jchu14 likes this.
  3. droxford

droxford Member

4. droxford

droxford Member

Never mind. Found a site online that listed the price.

5. Buck Turgidson

Yes? And?

6. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Party at your house when a natural disaster hits! That's a beast of a generator. Did you have to upgrade your gas meter?

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do you live in a climate controlled warehouse?

ElPigto, Sajan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's trying to keep the neighborhood cool. Leave him alone! :D

Geez, @AroundTheWorld, where do you live? Are power outages long-term there?

ElPigto and Sajan like this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I had never even thought about generators before we bought that house, but even the real estate ad spoke of a "48k generator" being installed in March. Since I was/am clueless about this stuff, I thought this meant whatever they are installing costs 48k. So I was disappointed when I saw it was like 22k or something (with installation and whatever). But they meant 48kw. The house is in Florida, so I guess it is to protect from being cut off from power if there is a hurricane and stuff.

Seems like it might even be later than March because these things are on backorder or whatever.

I then saw this thread.

#149 AroundTheWorld, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@Buck Turgidson sez:

[​IMG]

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's funny as I was following this thread out of curiosity thinking that "I'll never own a generator". Then, my brother shows up...yep...with a portable generator. Turns out he bought four of them to power oxygen machines and hospital beds for my parents at their home...as well as power items at his home...in case the power went out. He never ended up using them for my parents. So, he gave me one. At one point before he got them, he had to power my parents' medical devices from his running Tacoma truck (which has outlets) when a transformer went out and was out for several hours.

I've got a Champion Power Equipment 2500-watt Duel Fuel Inverter Generator. I guess I could run my fridge, TV, and a few lights at the same time if I'm lucky. I know the 2500 wattage is startup wattage. It's 1850 running wattage (little more on gas...little less on propane).

I guess I could take it camping some time. Not sure if I'll need it at home.

Seems to have pretty good reviews. Hey, everybody, I'm a gen-er or a generator-er! :)

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

Free generator is good. Should be able to power a fridge and maybe a TV. At least you won't lose a .ot of food and won't be in the dark.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Decided to get a standby generator. Using Generator Supercenter via Costco, and that gave me the best price. Downside is that installation won't be for 9-12 months.

14. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Really good deal on a 3700w peak / 3000w running inverter generator for $450. I might get this to replace my 2350/1900w generator to give myself a bit more headroom so I can run a microwave during a power outage.

Westinghouse WH3700iXLTc

Xerobull likes this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

How's everyone's generators? Lol

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Brotherly Love Electrical installed a Briggs and Stratton 15kw or 20kw or something over a year ago. 3,500 sf house. Installation speed was more important than price, otherwise I would have done Generac through Costco and saved maybe 3k with the Costco credit card perks and rebates. Getting it service via Preserve Energy - I think it's a small independent company, so it's a little cheaper, but good service. For what is needed, it's been a life saver on 3+ occasions over 14 months by avoiding emergency hospital trips.

ramotadab likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just got our 18kW Generac via Costco installed a week ago. Had to wait a long time but no outages during the wait so it was all good. I declined the monitoring via Generator Supercenter because $47/mo is too much.

Are you in the Houston area? What other servicing companies looked good? I'm in Cypress.

18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I found preserve energy solutions in SW Houston on Google. I think it's just a husband and wife company with the husband doing the work and the wife being the admin. It's essentially 2 visits per year from a generator mechanic who will change the oil and look over everything for about $33 per month. I think I paid all at once. Not a great deal, but the best I found, and I'm not willing to learn because I'm not on site often.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol?

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Mine hasn't needed to be activated yet, but it's good to know it's there in case of a power outage after a hurricane.