1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Let’s talk about Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Mar 1, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

Why you giving up on him. I have a highlight that’ll surely change your mind.

cheke64 likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’ve watched every game this year. If anything Tate has regressed. He is what he has always been, a hustle guy that needs to come off the bench as a valuable role player. No need to trade him, unless he thinks he’s worth a bunch. I’m sure most teams see him for what he is and won’t give us much for him. Late FRP at best or as a throw-in with picks to move up.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed that Tate took a big step last year but certainly hasn’t played as well since the all star break. He’s very good under the basket and he’s a good defender, but his handles are not there and his shot hasn’t improved; he turns the ball over and of course he’s very undersized for a forward. Great role player, great motor, but there are significant holes in his game. Happy to keep him at role player value, but off the bench with scaled back minutes.

ilias and kiwirocketsfan like this.
  4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Lulz, no one is giving up a draft pick for Tate. He can't shoot, and isn't a great defender.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Love some good training camp/offseason propaganda. :cool:

“Jae’Sean Tate looking like Steph Curry shooting.”
    “Danuel House is the Rockets training camp MVP. Looks like the best player.”
    “_______ is slimmed, trimmed and in the best shape of his life.”

[​IMG]

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Guy we want to trade is reportedly looking amazing in camp, I'm shocked.

cheke64 likes this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

I really want to believe it but I just can't

jcmoon likes this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Ben Simmons can't miss in practice either.

10. PatBev

PatBev Member

Unless he’s grown 4 inches I don’t want him on the team. He’s 26 already and I would rather give the minutes to kmj and whoever we draft at #17

not enough minutes to go around and he is the first I’m willing to sacrifice for extra minutes

red5rocket likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He is great about missing practice though!

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

With the addition of smith I expect Tate to average 2-3 more assists this year . He developed great chemistry with matthews going for 3’s ... no reason he can’t do the same with Jabari .

we brought in some competition in Eason , but I think Tate is pretty far ahead in terms of team defensive play .

this is his make or break year with us . Let’s see if that 3 ball improvement is real .

I think we prefer not to trade him . We can establish consistency with kpj-green-tate-smith-Sengun . The other 4 will keep kpj in order .

I really do see Tate as a main cog , keeping the ball moving offensively , keeping his body moving off ball . I think he’s more “point guard” than given credit for . Kpj and green are shot makers .

Who is our best pick and roll ball handler ?

My guess is Eason starts the year off the bench as a 4/5 with garuba and Gordon and Gary ..(if we can’t trade Eric ) and josh along with nix or ty ty . I’m not very high on nix .

Tate goes for 14/6/6 with ~2 steals

jcmoon likes this.
  13. a time to chill

I think it's time to move on from Tate. We need longer more athletic players. Tate would be coming off the bench on a better team. I'm hoping Stone is looking to make a splash in free agency to bring in some players to make the roster more competitive. The Rockets should be trying to sign someone like Miles Bridges...offer him a max contract once we dump Wall and Gordon. Imagine him with Smith, KPJ, Green and Sengun...scary hours.

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i like tate, but it's all about how much he wants, we can't pay them all. how much would you be willing to pay him? he could possibly get the midlevel from someone next year, but honestly, i think that's too much for us. I'd offer him 5 to 6 million a year, if not trade him at the deadline. He'll definately get minutes up till the deadline, letting eason ease into the defense. But if we can get a first i think we'd have to do it. if not, i think we'd have to go to restricted and match up to the midlevel.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

that comparison to the other 5 is hillarious . Sure , Tate is much older .. but the blocks , steals , assists are not just automatically gained by playing on a bad team .

Tate is a winning player . We just didn’t have enough mature , winning players around him. It’s not totally changed just yet , but I do think we are on the right path . And even though green and smith and others might be more heralded , the pieces are coming in place for the glue to stick em together .

excited to see Tate this year

edit @jcmoon id do 6-10 , but obviously take a discount .

maybe we can work an extension during the year.

he might get more . Depends on the shot . For us it depends on a lot of things , but we will definitely have space to keep him if the $ is reasonable and we are wanting to keep getting better

D-rock and jcmoon like this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

17. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

hes definately a keeper if that 3ball truly improved, if not, i wouldnt pay anything more than 7 million a year

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Tate is going to look better defensively with good defenders available to play with. He's going to look better offensively because there's a good number of shots you, he, Silas and I know he was only taking to further his development i.e. he would never take those shots on a better team. Not to mention how much more attention Jabari/Jalen/Sengun are going to get, creating space for others. He was even playmaking a lot last season, and he will do that less and thus turn it over less.

I don't know why people can't understand how tanking works. Just give next season a few weeks. There's no chance his stock drops, there's a good chance it will rise at least a little bit.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So Tate has 1 guaranteed year remaining at $6.5m. That would have been ultra cheap to dump, but the team for whatever reason opted to dump a few recent first round selections by adding a couple of second rounders. Does this mean Udoka preferred him? Because from an asset perspective (Stone) it would have made more send to dump Tate.

Some things to consider:

1) Tate looked like a bad defender in a non-existent offense. What young NBA fans won't understand is that no one looks good when the perimeter is constantly leaking and there is no good rim protector. You can put Mikal Bridges at SF on our last 2 seasons and his advanced defensive stats would take a nose dive as would his motivating to keep making up for other people's mistakes. I think Tate is not an elite defender, but a very very good one within an average NBA defense. He plays tough, dives for loose balls and talks a lot. I think these qualities may have enticed Udoka to keep him at his low salary.

2) Offensively Tate is barely average. The most important factor is his shooting, since you'd want to stick him in a corner. Now you've heard me say this many times: there was a SYSTEMIC problem with shooting especially last season which led almost the entire roster other than the primary playmaker (I wonder why) to shoot below expectations even though they were alleged to be as open as players on other teams. WHATEVER the reason, if you scroll through our individual 3PT%'s, it's clear something was wrong with the system that was leading to a team-wide drop in 3PT% relative to normal expectations. My guesstimation is that everyone shot about 2.5% lower from 3pt range due to the systemic issue we faced. The system is totally gone now with a new coach, new PG and better vets, thank god.

We heard last summer that Tate genuinely worked on his 3PT shot a lot. I know lots of players sincerely work on their 3pt shots with no results (not uncommon) but I'd like to make a case for Tate. I think he was - like many players on our roster - a victim of tanking circumstances but he's not one to whine about it.
    • If my guess is correct (that everyone shot on average 2.5% below what they were capable of), then Tate would have shot roughly 31% again last season (same as the season before he worked on his shot) rather than the atrocious 28% he finished with.
    • When you work on your 3pt shot, it often takes some time for it to become second nature. As you know, the Rockets "mysteriously" held Tate out way longer than he needed to heal from his injury. That means he was rusty as hell when he joined our clanky rotation. It's conceivable that with more shots and more games to get in game shape, he would have shot better.
    • Tate very slightly improved his FT% from 70% to 72% last season.
    • On a small sample, Tate shot 4 of 11 from the left corner last season (36.4%). Too bad it's a small sample, but maybe a good sign. Left corner would be a great spot for him in our offense.
    3) Character: the only issue was at times in the past 2 seasons Tate would do more than he could. I can understand that. It was development time, not winning time. All in all when you watch him play, you can tell he'd do anything for the team. He can guard 2-4 fairly well. Very good rebounder for his size. Above average passer for his position. Great at blocks + steals for his position. Would be good on switches since he has some ability to hold his own against bigs. He's a hard worker on the court with a high motor, you certainly can't deny him that.

All in all feels like Brooks, Tate and Eason is a tremendous trio of defenders we can use. Reminds me of when we had Ariza, Tucker and Moute which drove opponent wings crazy. Of course our 3 are not as good as those 3, I just mean in terms of having switchable OPTIONS guarding the best wings.

Whitmore can potentially compete for minutes at the 2/3 but let's be honest, we're no longer in the phase where a rookie can secure guaranteed significant minutes. We're going back to the healthy way of developing prospects which is slow and steady.

If Tate is still on the roster for training camp, I hope he's continued to work on his 3pt shot and I can see him having a turnaround season off the bench for us. Keep Brooks, Green and Eason on their toes for minutes at the 3/4. I've always liked his attitude so maybe he'll surprise us.

#140 Mathloom, Jul 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2023
    snowconeman22 likes this.