1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s talk about Tate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Mar 1, 2022.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@vator

I think he needs to get used to cutting more , but ... are teams respecting his spacing now?

even though his offensive role shrank , did the teams offense not flow a bit ? Or was that just guys making shots ? We get another test tonight , and chance to grow as a young team.

Did Tate actually take Adams out of the paint?

The heat are a much more versatile defensive team . Tate might have to try to step up more on offense tonight, we will see how he does .

We started playing him in tandem with Eg , and I think he is mentoring Tate . I like that he gets some run with green and sengun in the 2nd quarter and maybe JC too . Here’s my real conspiracy take .. we changed up that rotation to put pressure on wood , and he has responded well and given more effort. Kpj has gotten more consistent too . Green has taken a big step as well .

Tate has seemed to fall behind a bit , but he’s still doing things in the background . You have to have a guy that’s willing to sacrifice for the team and maybe have a game with less than 10 points ... but still be doing things to initiate flow and set up other guys .

Tate , in his second year , already seems pretty good at this . Makes his ceiling higher than most realize .

Still getting into full nba shape , let’s hope his body holds up

vator likes this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

Good observations. His role certainly shrank yesterday and I hope that is by design. I noticed teams have been putting a big on him and a smaller guy on Wood lately because of his inability to make outside shots and that’s not ideal.

I wish he would be more of a connector offensively like a poor man’s Draymond Green rather than a guy actively hunting his own scoring opportunities at the expense of more talented scorers. Roosh made a good point that there needs to be more of a hierarchy in the Houston offense. Jalen Green until recently was too far down the rung despite what his shot attempts suggested because so little of the offense flowed towards or through him. Tate played a big role in that. If he’s willing to play more like he did last night and be an opportunistic scorer I’ll be more optimistic about his long term fit. He does all the little things you love to see. I’ll be watching closely tonight for sure. Especially now that Wood is out, his fit next to Sengun may create some poor spacing.

cmlmel77 and snowconeman22 like this.
  3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think a lot of this will come down to where our higher pick lands, not the lower one, and who we take with it. If, hypothetically, we draft Jabari Smith, and our next prospect that we're interested in is a few spots higher than the Nets pick, I could easily see us trading the pick + Tate for the higher pick.

The thing is, no one is saying Tate's not a very good player. But his flaws are his flaws, and he's unlikely to magically become a good 3 point shooter or gain size. His value, as an all-nba first team selection and putting up 12 ppg this season, is as high as it's going to be short of him getting air time in the playoffs making big plays at key moments. The thing is, that's probably not going to happen for us, at least not for another two to three years. In the mean time, at some point he will be relegated to the bench and coming off of it, and I just don't want us to get in another scenario as this FO has done so often where they hold on to player forever and completely dilute their value, and instead of cutting their losses, operate stupidly and double down (playing Schroder so many minutes, going with a 2-big lineup for so long, etc.), even to the detriment of the younger players who need minutes and floor time.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude needs to develop that PJ tucker corner 3 or something. Than he wouldn't be a liability on offense at times. There was one telling possession where he was wide open with the ball in the corner he decided to drive right into and over a defender for an offensive foul.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is not a starter, he is a hustle player - he needs to be off the bench.

DD

JamalP. and verysimplejason like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Every move you make has to be judged with what resources and what knowledge you had at the time to do it. When Cavs got Lebron ok Lebron was amazing but then again it was a no brainer move any team would get Lebron no 1 if the had the chance. OTH signing Wood out of the blue to a very affordable contract, that's more impressive than drafting Lebron no 1 cuz not everyone knew Wood's worth. In fact even his old team didn't know he would break out like he did so the Wood signing is Stone's best move so far.

Wood was obtained "for free" ie just capspace. He is giving you 17 and 10 on TS% 58. I don't know how else you can judge that if you don't think that's a great move well you're not a good analyst. Who cares whether Stone had to make a move or not every GM needs to make a move its their job to make moves. The only reason Wood isn't traded is because Stone doesn't want to trade him, if he was available on the market he would fetch at least 1 FRP in return because of how productive he is as an all around scoring big man with 3 pt range. Look at Sabonis, dude was able to fetch Tyrese Haliburton in return and Wood is only slightly inferior to Sabonis their nos are extremely close.

My projected nos are based on past history, we don't really see franchise players winning rings until they're old. And Green is far from a transcendent player so I fail to see how he is gonna win a ring before MJ or Lebron.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has no business staying on a bad, rebuilding team.

Should seek to be on a playoff contender. Immediate effect.

DaDakota and verysimplejason like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I disagree. If you look at his history, talent or his scoring ability has never been an issue. He wasn’t drafted because of his character and unprofessionalism. He also has a history of being a defensive liability even in Detroit. All of this is known by scouts and GM’s. My point is Stone needed to make a move post Harden. Wood was no doubt a low risk move at a low cost. If it works out great. If not he only has 3 years on a cap friendly contract. He hasn’t been the player they hoped for and was reportedly in the Westbrook for Wall trade. It’s obvious to many fans including myself that Wood isn’t it. Despite minor improvements in his offensive game he is still the same player for the most part and hasn’t made an impact on this team in terms of playing winning basketball or intangibles such as toughness or leadership. So by no means was he a great signing.

fckbandwagons and aaquaa like this.
  9. DaDakota

I agree, he should be packaged for a FRP, or a better or developing player with size.

DD

10. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Not to go bash Tate, but now we've had two games with KJ in the starting lineup that prove his stats and performance he's been putting up consistently off the bench aren't a fluke. And on top of that, he's a much better three point shooter than Tate, which means his man has to actually respect his shot (went 3-6 from 3 tonight) while they don't Tate.

Don't get me wrong. Tate does a lot of things way better than KJ. But at this point I think he's someone we can move if the right opportunity presents itself, and if not, might be better suited in a bench role.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. vator

vator Contributing Member

The problem is Tate needs the ball in his hands to be effective which takes possessions away from better scorers and he offers no floor spacing.

KJ Martin doesn’t need the ball at all. He can thrive without the ball as a roller or garbage man, he offers a lob threat, and has been knocking down 3 pointers.

Tate should come off eve bench honestly. I like him, but KJ is a better fit with our best players.

12. DaDakota

Should be traded at the draft as part of a package to move up - he is not going to be good enough to be a starter here, we have much better options anywhere he might play.

DD

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

It already worked since he an asset and worth at least an frp in the open market. I dunno why you keep saying if it works out then great, lol its already mid 2nd year of 3 yr contract his deal is almost done you still dont know of it worked out or not? Are you the kind of person who needs to eat every bite of the burger and every piece of fry before you know whether you like the meal or not? Just look at his stats and efficiency as a big man those nos are a big bargain. If Stone flips him even for a draft swap then thats already a win since Stone didnt spend any resources except salary cap (which he needed to use anyway) to get him.

What do you mean by he wasnt the player they hope for, lol you expect Giannis for 15M a year as a free agent? If scouts knew he would average these nos at this price they would have bid more for his services hence he is an asset and thats why its a great signing. Case closed. If you were expecting a new franchise player for only 15M and as a free agent then thats on you no sane person would expect "it" to come to a rebuilding team in flux and on such a cheap contract. For reference Davis Bertans got paid 16M and he has no rebounding and crestion skills just 3 pt shooting. Ryan Anderson got psid 18M previously for the same thing. So Wood who can defend more than those guys, shoot 3s and still score in iso situations would prob be worth Tobias Harris money in the open market. All these and more are what makes him a great signing, if we had him in 2018 Rox would have a ring by now.

P.S. Wood is in the Wesbrook for Wall trade? Wood couldnt be trsded in the WB for Wall trade since he was just signed. Signed FAs can only be traded at the deadline so wherever you got that info is just wrong.

#113 roslolian, Mar 10, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2022
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Y’all smokin that kmj coolaid

Tate is way better

and for what it’s worth ... Tate hasn’t missed 2 games , it’s been one .

the real reason we look sharper is Sengun getting more minutes and wood sitting out . Also green is just playing better

Tate was just excited to play with sengun in Miami is all ...

Wishing my boi a swift recovery

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not sure why you keep arguing. Wood hasn’t worked out to what the team hoped for plain and simple. Hoped. I never said anything about Giannis did I? I said they hoped for a greater return. Is he a cornerstone player? Is he playing at an elite level? Your definitions of “amazing” and “worked” are different from mine. The objectives of GM’s are to get Players in hopes of helping you win. Wood certainly hasn’t helped this team win. And again in your mind maybe he has. In your mind perhaps he is a good player as you cite these stats. My definition and a lot of others differ from yours. You are arguing the same thing I am btw saying that Stone could flip him. I already said he was signed for low. I already said he was implicated in the Wall trade. Not sure what clause you are referring to that says you can’t trade a player in their second year. So you are being contrarian and argumentative for no reason other than perhaps you think he is a good player and support and defend him? Very unnecessary argument and I’m not even sure what and why you are arguing lol

aaquaa likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well it’s been a while since I’ve talked about my boi .

it’s the end of the year and he’s still playin some . Hard to tell about he’s played given the team is tanking and if he’s pacing himself physically.

I’ve liked seeing him get more of a chance to play with sengun and green . I wish would start garuba or kmj instead of Gary . But I bet one of Gary or Tate , or both ..Continue to get minutes cut as we wind down the year .

So much of his place on this team depends on what we do with other pieces going forward and our organizational strategy as a whole . I want to win . I want to try to improve the team . I think that with young guys getting better plus another draft class , we should have enough talent to do so .

not win big , but I’d like to be fighting for the play in , or at the least have had 5+ more wins . They really do matter . It’s important to get results .

Tate still shows a lot of things . His 3 has been looking a little better (he’s taking them not only from corner but also a wing shot that actually looks better) . He’s been a bit less
    Explosive inside and I think he’s also conserving himself on D .

Idk how ppl think he’s a ball stopper . The guy prolly moves the ball the quickest out of anyone on our team . Does anyone have the stats for hockey assists ? He makes quick decisions, he is one of the more disciplined players on our team . I still see him being a leader and doing the little things that lead to winning ... we just don’t have enough around him .

defense in general , I think, is more team dependent than offense . I want to see our team after an offseason and training camp . He is an impact player on that side of the floor and I think he’s smart enough to not bog down the offense , if his shot / handle comes around more I think he’s an all-star .

Scoring is sexy , but Tate is pretty sexy already . Guy is just going to keep getting better imo . Oldish , but 2nd year player and low tread .

How y’all feeling about Tate ?

17. kiwirocketsfan

Gotta say I’m out on Tate. He’d be a nice pick up once we have a contender as a hustle guy off the bench, but he’s a bit a piece to build with.

Too short, too little vision, just straight meh.

I’m at the point I groan when he subs in.

fckbandwagons likes this.
  18. PatBev

PatBev Member

Bench next year or try to sell high to move up in the draft

Definitely not a starter

jdhi likes this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'm giving up on my boy. Same player and no progress

20. DaDakota

Tate's are a dime a dozen - trade him, open up space for 2 way players.....

DD

Medicine N Music likes this.