1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s focus on #26

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jun 15, 2022.

1. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I just wrote in another thread: according to sites, that determine the value of the picks, we should be able to move to the 9-11 range with the 17th and the 26th. Easily the Eason, Williams territory (and with some luck even the Murray/Shadow or Mathurin territory).

If we stay put I would take a flyer at 26 like Kai Sotto - a 7-3 guy with athleticism and a good touch, that also hits some threes (on very low attempts so far, but it shows that he is working on them).

If we stay at 17 and Eason, Williams, Sochan are gone I would take Jovic as our new Wood - that is hopefully a little smarter, able to play within a system and takes defense seriously.

Overall we should be able to get out of this draft with at least two very good players…

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They don’t want more picks. Charlotte is going to trade one of those picks for a win-now player. We just let our best one go.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  3. theDude

Supporting Member

The collective value of the picks may be the same, but who in the 9-11 range needs two lesser players rather than the one they could get in the top 10ish range?

cbass and raining threes like this.
  4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Add Eric Gordon. They need a two way veteran guy.

5. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

There wont be enough minutes to develop three more rookies. I think there is a good chance that Stone will use #17 & #26 to trade for a higher pick.

6. theDude

Supporting Member

There aren't enough roster spots, either. We are currently at 19 players. The roster expands to 20 in the offseason, but we will have to have it down to 15 before the season starts. So, even if we were to use all three picks, they would ultimately have to be part of a trade later in order to get the team down to 15.

Because I have a hard time envisioning a scenario where we are able to bundle the two picks for a significant move up in the draft, what's probably most likely is that both #17 and #26 get moved to teams who either don't have a FRP or want an additional one. For example, moving one of the picks to Toronto for the second round pick (#33) and a future first round pick. I could definitely see that happening with #26, maybe #17, too. This lets us keep rolling with the semi-tank and getting minutes for the kids to give us one more swing at the lottery before cashing picks and cap space in next summer.

Madmanmetz and Ghost5Horse6 like this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yet an Organization like the Warriors have managed to grab Jordan Poole, Kevin Looney and Draymond Green that late in the draft. Sometimes you have to be able to spot a diamond in the rough.

larry cook, red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  8. mightybosstone

In ESPN's latest mock, the Rockets stay pat and get Eason and Beauchamp at 17 and 26. That seems unlikely, but that would be a dream scenario.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tate + Gordon + KJM + pick 17 + pick 26 for Sacramentos pick 4 ... I would probably sweeten with almost anything from the current roster if Sacramento wants to negotiate.

Walk away with pick 3&4 this year. Nabbing two players out of Paolo, Ivey, Jabari, Chet would not suck.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. j@amc

j@amc Member

The Rockets can now create a competitive package to compete with teams that might be looking to make a move into #7 to #10 range.

Then again, the talent in the 17-26 range is solid if we take those picks.

As poor as our record has been of late, there's more than enough playing time to go around.

blue_eyed_devil likes this.
  11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

He will probably go Late 2nd or Undrafted.

Rokman likes this.
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Christian Wood is a "win now" player? How exactly does Wood help Charlotte win more? The Hornets have a top 8 offense and a bottom 9 defense.

Williamson, Milos and xaos like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

More interesting question is: When is the last time a team has *signed* 7 FRPs in 2 years.

Corrosion, BigMaloe, subtomic and 2 others like this.
  14. theDude

Supporting Member

I’m not saying it’s going to work, but Dallas bought into it. And it doesn’t change the fact that Charlotte is likely not looking for additional picks.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Can we get #7 for 17, 23 and Eric Gordon? And if so, is Dyson Daniels worth it?

Corrosion and Milos like this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt the Kings do this. They are looking at win-now trades.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’d even throw in the 2023 Bucks’ pick to get 7.

18. j@amc

j@amc Member

Yes, yes he is. And if this is all it takes to add Daniels -- fantastic. My suspicion is that Portland might want more.

Milos likes this.
  19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

After canvassing all of the possible scenarios outside of actually using the pick to draft a player I think Stone is most likely just keeping that pick warm for any team that wants to trade back into the 1st round.

1. Like some have said, drafting 3 1st rounders and putting them on an NBA roster when you just took 4 1st rounders last year is an extreme overkill. Sure that sets up nicely for another bad season to increase the chances of a high pick in 2023 but seems a bit wasteful.

2. I think Stone's conversation with Banchero sealed the deal on Wood getting moved sooner rather than later. With that said, Stone took the best deal he could find (expiring contracts + 1st rounder) without having a plan on how to use that 1st rounder. That might seem ridiculous given that he's a GM of a professional sports team but the question of "How can I use the 26th pick?" is a lot easier to answer than "How am I going to trade Wood (post draft)?"

At least Stone can either trade the pick for future draft considerations to a team that wants to jump back into the 1st or he can try to draft and stash (though that strategy has not worked out well for this team in recent memory).

Moving up with the 17/26 combo would be huge but I don't see any team in the low teens eager to take those picks in exchange for theirs.

Verbal Christ and Aruba77 like this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

For a GM to bite on the trade, they must see that the talent level in the draft does not drop off that much between 11-ish and 17-26.

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/

has Dyson Daniels, Ochai Agbaji, and Johnny Davis in their 9-11 slots. We all know someone is going to going to put on their I-am-the-smartest-person-in-the-room hat on and reach with a top 1-8 pick, so at least someone like AJ Griffin or Shaedon Sharpe will also be on the board at 9.

has Jalen Duren, Jalen Williams, Ousmane Dieng, Nikola Jovic, Blake Wesley, MarJon Beauchamp, Jaden Hardy, Kendall Brown, Ryan Rollins and Walker Kessler in the 17-26 slots.

Would a GM bite on trade of Dyson Daniels (or Shaedon Sharpe) for Jalen Duran and Kendall Brown? Maybe yes. Maybe no.

Corrosion likes this.