1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s focus on #17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, May 18, 2022.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree. I'd even burn a future FRP we have to move up if we can get Williams. We're going to be a very young team. We need young talent now. Quality over quantity. Not 1 young ok player now and another young ok player later.

theDude likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The little devil on my shoulder with the hellbent furor to score 200 points a game whispers Ousmane Dieng at 17, but the sensible angel on the other side knows it should be Eason.

theDude likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Unfortunately both those guys will likely be gone by 17 unless some of the other teams reached like taking Kessler or Tyty early.

NO, Atlanta and Cleveland all need forwards. OKC doesnt care about fit they'll take high ceiling players every time so Dieng is gone. NO will get a center and sf, Atlanta has guys at all positions except sf. So yeah those are gone by 17 imo.

theDude likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Maybe. Drafts can get wonky. They've been rumored to be slotted near that range and if they do end up going higher then some of the names mentioned in mocks in those higher slots would fall. If guys like Eason and Sochan go higher than expected then who drops?

EJ Liddell is another guy who could be a good player at 17. Leonard Miller is a dark horse potential guy.

Plowman, roslolian and theDude like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m hoping the dearth of PGs moves TyTy and Chandler ahead of us and pushes some other quality players back to us. You can usually count on a couple of foreign players doing that as, well. All of a sudden, a player you were expecting to go at 13 is available at 17.

Hello, Mr. Williams!

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm hoping we get lucky as well if we're staying at 17. Looking at the teams picking between 3 and 17 that are in need of a big:

Detroit: I don't think they'll swing for the fences at 5 for Williams
    Indy: I think they have Murray locked in at 6
    Portland: Nurkic is a free agent and Williams would make some sense here at 7 though they would be choosing him over other higher ceiling wings
    New Orleans: doubt it
    San Antonio: At 9 possibly?
    Washington: I don't think they're going to take Williams at 9
    New York: Highly likely they take a big here. Mitchell is a free agent and Taj can't/shouldn't play 35+ a night
    OKC: Depending on who they pick at 12 they could very well end up with a Jabari/Williams night
    Charlotte: Maaaybe?
    Cleveland: nope
    Charlotte: Perhaaaps?
    Atlanta: They COULD take Williams and move Capela via trade for additional assets

So out of those picks, the ones I bolded could be a threat to our target for Williams. I'm hoping the same as you and that Duren doesn't move until around #13 to Charlotte. If that happens we should be in the clear to nab Williams if he hasn't already been selected.

Aruba77, ArtV and theDude like this.
  7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Is it possible to get Holmgren, Ivey, Sochan, Eason, Williams and Braun??

Stone, make it happen. LOL

2023-2024 Lineup

P.G. - Ivey / Christopher
    S.G. - Green / Braun
    S.F. - Eason / Garuba
    P.F. - Holmgren / Sochan
    ..C - Sengun / Williams

Means we would just have to trade:

Kevin Porter Jr.
    Kenyon Martin Jr.
    Jae'Sean Tate
    Christian Wood
    Daishen Nix
    Most of all future picks

Everyone happy now? LOL

#47 Rokman, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  8. "Hail Hydra"

"Hail Hydra" New Member

Wendell Moore

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah not a fan of Liddell cuz he is yet another member of the 6'6 and under club but I can def see the Rox taking him.

Leonard Miller is crazy good not sure why Sharpe is seen as a top 4 when Miller could be better and is also sight unseen. Would def love him at 17 if Eason, Dieng, Sochan and williams are gone thats the spot to take high swings imo.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I doubt Williams lasts till 17 cuz he took his measurements and he blew up with legit 7'0 height without shoes and 7'6 wingspan. He is one fo the biggest winners so far in the draft combine. He aint going past NO with either their 13th or 15th pick.

11. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

Really hoping for Eason or Jovic.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

Liddell is a *wicked* wing defender, and god we could use that.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. PWR

PWR Member

Mark Williams (7'0" defender)
    Tari Eason (6'8" defender)
    Jaylin Williams (6'10" defender)

Give me one of those 3, in that order.

Jaylin Williams - 1st Team All SEC Defense

Corrosion and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Christian Koloko hitting 16/25 3 point shots is eye raising for me.

#54 Verbal Christ, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Ghost5Horse6, Rashmon and RedIsen like this.
  15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The board was ecstatic when we drafted Sengun and Garuba. JC was the pick that had people scratching their head.

https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/2021-nba-draft-16th-overall-rockets-select-alperen-sengun.312457/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/2021-nba-draft-23rd-overall-rockets-select-usman-garuba.312459/
    https://bbs.clutchfans.net/threads/...erall-rockets-select-josh-christopher.312460/

Corrosion, Fullcourt and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dont sleep on Liddell. He's a really skilled guy who nobody expected to have the athleticism that he is showing.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

that’s crazy Koloko is 3rd. I bet he’s pushed his way firmly into the 1st round. McGowens is an interesting prospect.

Corrosion and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Rim protector/defender that can shoot the 3? Pick 17 territory. I had to do a double take especially from a guy who only shot 5 (FIVE!!) three pointers in his entire college career. Not sure what to make of it and how much to consider that moving forward, but it surprised me.

McGowens sure showed better than a 27% shooter too. Good to see these kids working!

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Good write up. I'd be open to eating Noel's contract (and filler) for Wood's if NYK wants to swap 11 for 17 AND Williams is still on the board. NY gets their big that can help them instantly. The Rocket's get their big that can grow with the team. Cost is an extra year of Noel's salary.

steddinotayto likes this.
  20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think New Orleans, Charlotte and Portland will all be in the market to trade picks for impact players. I think those are our best chances to move up, but we might not have the players they are looking for. I thought I remembered Charlotte as having interest in Wood at the deadline. And there’s also a big need for his skill-set in Portland.