1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s focus on #17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, May 18, 2022.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think our trade up candidates are Griffin and Sochan. It will be interesting to see where they fall and if Houston has enough to move up and get one. If not I think we’ll potentially trade out of #17 and draft at #26

Joe Joe and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

What makes you think they are the candidates?

3. Aruba77

it just feels like we are targeting wings and 3/4 type players.

I’m gonna believe Feigen’s reporting that we aren’t gonna target centers in the draft. I don’t see us trading up for one given our young front court situation. So that takes Williams and Duren out, who I don’t think make it to #17.

Then there’s guys like Marhurin, and Dyson Daniels who will be gone in the early to mid lotto. There’s guys like Johnny Davis who can only play SG so don’t see that happening.

I think Griffin’s prolific shooting, his youth, his ability to play without the ball, is going to be too intriguing for Houston to pass up if he falls to like #11. Sochan’s a very different player, but versatile defender with length and huge upside. I could see us being interested in his skill set. Both players could be in that realistic trade up range.

so If the rumors are true that we are trying to move up, my hunch is it’s for one of those two.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think his IQ is good enough, he has defended Jabari’s jumper successfully without fouling on the perimeter.

D-rock likes this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Griffin would be an amazing get.

6. Aruba77

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

For me, if we stand pat at #17:

1a) Eason
    1b) Jalen Williams
    3) Beauchamp
    4) Liddell

I’m also fine with TyTy, if the reports of us being high on him are true.

If we trade up I’d imagine we’ll be targeting AJ or Sochan.

saleem, D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. im_joel

im_joel Member

I would like to get the board's opinion on a trade for pick #17

Rockets get:

Matisse Thybulle
    Sixers pick #23

Sixers get:

Rockets pick #17
    KJ Martin

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Boki Nachbar

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Thybulle works better with Chet or Jabari at #3.

Spacing matters.

12. Aruba77

my thought is that we have enough guys on this team that can’t shoot. I’d rather keep 17 or trade up or trade for a future 1st. Would definitely trade KJ for Thubulle though. Not sure we could get more than an early 2nd for him.

No Worries, saleem and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There are a lot of guys in this draft that look to be defenders that are going to need to improve shooting. I think odds are decent that Rockets get a guy that can play defense with suspect shooting in the draft. To move down 6 spots and get a guy that is a guaranteed NBA defender, I'd do that trade easy.

I'd then try to trade Thybulle, the No. 23 and the No. 26 for a lottery pick. I'm not sure how much influence Thibs has with the Knicks, but if he has a decent amount, that No. 11 pick is the Rockets which is something KJ and the No. 17 probably can't do. Even if can't orchestrate a trade up in the next couple of days, Thybulle alone likely gets a better future FRP than the No. 17.

Aruba77 likes this.
  15. im_joel

im_joel Member

It kills me to continuously hear about Paolo's defensive liabilities. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird had defensive liabilities. Would you have not drafted them? How many basketball players are at their best defensively at the age of 19?

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

there's not 1 highlight that I've seen where this is true

D-rock likes this.
  17. saleem

It's his lack of lateral quickness on defense that bothers me. He can get better defensively and he probably will too. Lateral quickness is a natural trait.

18. saleem

The Sixers and the Suns want EG per reputable Twitter sources. Get the 23 rd pick and move the 26th for a future FRP. I hope we won't get stuck with an albatross contract though.

19. saleem

I hope Dalen Terry will be available at 26 too. I do think he will go a bit higher than that.

Aruba77 likes this.