1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Let’s focus on #17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, May 18, 2022.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let's trade up to #11 and take Alperen Sengun!

2. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

If he's there, I'm standing on the table for Mark Williams.

Rashmon, j@amc, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

I wanted to get Chet on our 3rd pick but I don't see him falling to 3. I would prefer defensive minded players in this years draft.

Would love big guys who can shoot threes. But if they can't, should be a interior defensive force ala Robert Williams who can switch defensively at any position.

At 17, i want a big defensive forward like Tari Eason or Jeremy Sochan. Give me a big husky forward that just plays like a dog, who doesn't care if he scores but hustles like draymond or pat bev.

We need players who aren't afraid to sacrifice their bodies or get punched in the nards

burlesk, jcmoon, fattz and 3 others like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Mark Williams seems intriguing. Seems like he has good hands, solid touch, knows his role, very good athleticism, excellent size and uses his size well. How is his lateral quickness for NBA switching? On highlights it looks pretty good but I can't get a great read just from highlights. He kind of looks like he could be a bigger version of Clint Capela.

It never seems to work out when teams draft 2 players from the same school or at least I can't remember when it did. However, adding Banchero and Mark Williams would be a major addition for the Rockets who sorely lacked size. They would become the two biggest players on the roster.

It would be nice is there was a big SF prospect, but I don't really see one available at that spot. Maybe Eason drops to us?

Corrosion, jcmoon, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

With EJ Ladell making a stir with his combine numbers I wonder if he’s a legit target at #17. If he continues to drop weight he’s gonna be an excellent small forward. He can also play some small ball 4. We need a legit 3 badly.

I’m with folks on NOT wanting Branham. EJ was far and away the best player on that OSU team and we don’t need more 6’4” shooting guards.

If for some crazy reason we moved back from #17 I would give Braun a look. I think he’s underrated. Another interesting small forward prospect.

Milos, jcmoon and robbie380 like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You wouldn't entertain a move up to #1??

I would.

We don't need 2-3 more rookies to add to last years 4 rookies. There just isn't enough minutes.
    We need one high end talent.

I'd consider giving up 3,17 and next year's Milwaukee pick for #1.

I think Chet changes the game that much for the Rockets .... that's a good consolidation of assets to get the best player available.

Milos, burlesk, jcmoon and 2 others like this.
  7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’d definitely be willing to move up to #1, but I doubt Orlando or OKC will trade their picks. Worth a try though.

D-rock, slothy420 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's up with Lenny Miller?

9. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Tari Eason
    Ideally at #17, but if needed i'll even surrender KMJr. to move up a few spots to secure T.Eason

D-rock, roslolian and jcmoon like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

TyTy is our guy.

jcmoon and Tmac1Yao11 like this.
  11. VoR

VoR Member

Mark Williams is a no. He has a long way to go and not very athletic.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I wouldnt mind spending some of our assets (anybody not named Green or Sengun) to get another pick and get Eason or Sochan. Or both.

Can you imagine the devastation those 2 would cause on opponent offenses? It'd be a lot like getting Rodman and Ariza on the same team as rookies.

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I definitely would like to use another pick or asset to move up around number 10.

D-rock likes this.
  14. Chamillionaire

After Eason and Sochan, I think Kendall Brown is intriguing.
    Decent from 3. Reminds me a lot of Shawn Marion.

#34 Chamillionaire, May 19, 2022
    Last edited: May 19, 2022
  15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I have a nagging suspicion that Stone will be working hard to trade that pick for a future 1st to a team that needs young talent now. Not saying that’s the right move but I think Stones actions around the deadline with Gordon tell us a lot.

16. comrade

comrade Member

Wood for 13 if Sochan is still up pls..

jcmoon and fattz like this.
  17. j@amc

j@amc Member

I thought it was unlikely that Eason might drop, but then 19-year-old Daniels tested quite well: 6'6 (without shoes) 195 with 4.9% body fat and a 2.81 shuttle. If Daniels can show some strong shooting in his workouts, he may have moved into the second tier of the draft, pushing Eason (and other guys) down the board.

Very curious about projections on Strawther too (6'5.75 / 207.6 with 7.9% and 3.37 shuttle. For a 20-year-old, he's going to get faster and add to his 35-inch max vertical. He's another guy that will have to work pretty hard on his skills and show something special.

Since David Roddy has come up, I have to mention his numbers. Very intriguing package: 6'4.5 with shoes 260.8 with 11.6 body fat (ouch). More numbers: 6'11.5 wingspan, 8'9 standing reach, 10.75 agility (!), 3.10 shuttle (!), 35.5-inch vertical. That's a very startling package to go with his skills. If he drops 10-pounds and maintains his core strength and lands on the right team, he'll be super productive off the bench for years to come. Strikes me as one of those guys that isn't a star but that you have to prepare extra for because he's so unusually productive.

I'm no small ball advocate, but Roddy's a wall that can absorb contact from NBA bodies. There's definitely a place in the league for guys like this. Just ask Celtics hero Grant Williams.

D-rock and robbie380 like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I could see #17 being used in a package to move possibly Wood, Eric Gordon,
    Nwaba, Wall to say.....Portland (Bledsoe), Clippers, New York, Charlotte, Lakers, etc.
    depending on the return, possibly moving up.

If not staying at #17 works for me, pool of players to choose from:
    Mark Williams
    Tari Eason
    EJ Liddell
    Kendall Brown
    Sochan
    Patrick Baldwin (moving up due to workouts)
    Kessler (good as a Rudy Gobert rim defender in 2-3 zone)

Draft net mock has us drafting Mark Williams at #17 (Banchero at #3)
    I would personally rather have Ivey at #3 with Mark Williams at #17.

Eventually:
    Ivey
    Jalen Green
    Porter (Porter being the key to making 3-guard offense work)
    Sengun or Wood
    Mark Williams

#38 ApacheWarrior, May 19, 2022
    D-rock and burlesk like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kinda sad but looking at all the mocks the following guys are almost sure to be gone by 17:

Tari Eason
    Mark Williams
    Jeremy Sochan
    Dyson Daniels
    Ousmane Dieng

Most mocks I have seen have us nabbing Tyty Washington if we take a PF at 3, or some sort of forward if we take Ivey at 3. Not that happy with the pickings at 17 tbh, I'd consider trading Jeasean tate and or Kmart Jr to move up and grab Tari Eason, Sochan or Dieng.

sydmill and D-rock like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

How is EJ Liddell making a stir with his combine results? He is a 6'5 pf without shoes. I would think the fact that he is one fo the shortest pfs in the class would hurt his stock rather than raise it.

Funny you dont want 6'4 guards but will take a 6'5 pf lol. Not saying he csnt be the pick though, cuz the Rox love their 6'4-6'6 wings.

#40 roslolian, May 19, 2022
    D-rock likes this.