1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let’s focus on #17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, May 18, 2022.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its fair that its a little rich. there will be other suitors. pistons with grant, Knicks with randle. we have to stay competitive if we want that pick.

moreover if we keep wood and tate then we either have to resign them to bigger / longer term deals next summer which would likely tank their trade value, or let them walk to make room for the new kids. I prefer overpaying but getting what I want, and a seemingly perfect fit for jalen and banchero... and even KPJ.

to your point about him being better as a big PG than a SF... yes... but...

if he starts next to KPJ and jalen, and he draws the toughest perimeter assignment 1-3 every night... and he has the ability to play point and set the table for 3 scorers (jalen, paolo, KPJ) or when they are initiating he can make the right reads and keep the ball moving as a connector... I don't see a disadvantage on either side of the floor.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I disagree with the ball dominant idea. I think the more players you have who can dribble and pass at a high level the better your offense will run. KPJ is a better C&S scorer than anything else, jalen scores really well off movement, Daniels is good at making high level reads after attacking closeouts... paolo too, paolo and alpy are both great off of short rolls. the more playmakers the better.

granted shooting and defense could be an issue at least early on while the kids improve. I would prefer jabari over banchero for that reason but we pick third. and if we are lucky enough to trade up to #7 I'm taking who I think is not only the best available but would have an immediate impact on one of the two areas we need, defense.

like you I would also question the defensive viability of a banchero and sengun lineup, but would you rather not give sengun a chance to start? we traded up for him because he was great value at that pick, we're picking banchero (supposedly) because he's the best player available. at this point in the rebuild we need talent and we may not get lucky with how well they fit together, but we have been very lucky with the amount of talent we're getting.

all this is to say, you're not wrong in your critique. but should we not give alpy the chance to start? not draft banchero 3rd if jabari and chet are gone? or is it just Daniels at the 3 that weakens the whole spacing and defense for you? he would surely help the defense, so is there someone else you'd draft at 7 that would improve the lineup defensively and provide more shooting?

D-rock and Aruba77 like this.
  3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Shooting is more important than playmaking in terms of quantity. You only need two creators in the lineup to run a very good offense. But you have to have at least four guys on the floor that can shoot.

Of course, you want all your players to be able to both shoot and create. But that's impossible. If you have to choose between a shooter who can't create and a creator who can't shoot, you take the shooter unless you are really deficient in the playmaking department (less than two good ones on the whole team).

D-rock, roslolian and saleem like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There are some mocks showing Tari Eason falling to 17. I would snap him up for sure there, like most of us.

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

True, but we can benefit from Paolo's passing especially when KPJ goes into his scoring mode. Paolo's shooting range is getting better gradually.

Easy and groovemachine like this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Given how bizarre Stone was at the deadline with refusing to trade EG for a pick in this range I fully expect Stone to be shopping this pick hard.

Also listening to Feigan on the pod yesterday describe how the front office views Nix, that’s tells you a lot… and obviously I disagree with the front office on Nix as it sounds like Feigan does too given how he looked when he actually played in the big league.

One thing I was thinking about is whether the Rockets would do the Wall/Westbrook trade and trade 17 for the future Lakers pick in that deal. If the Rockets hate the idea of trading EG at the deadline for this pick for some reason, why wouldn’t they make that deal by the same logic?? If you put yourself in Stones mind as he’s theorizing how terrible it is to draft this year in the mid to late 1st round, I don’t see how you don’t view trading back 3 or 4 years as a huge win.

For the Lakers how would their fans not love that deal? They were thinking they’d have to give up their last first round pick for what seems like a generation and instead get a first round pick this year to add much needed young talent to an aging roster. And there would be a bigger parade there than there will be in the city that wins the title because of the joy the fan base will have by getting rid of Westbrook.

travfrancis likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I think we were spoiled by the harden and CP3 team. you can have a championship contender with only 2 playmakers IF those two are hall of fame in their prime playmakers. I won't disagree that shooting is more important. its like a baseline skill just to get on the floor. being switchable on defense is also a prerequisite to staying on the floor. this is why I have jabari 1, chet 2, and paolo 3. but if both teams can put a 4-out lineup of switchable defenders, the difference comes down to playmaking. those warriors teams that we lost to didn't just have more shooting, they had way more players who can dribble and pass. we were stuck with ariza, PJ, and Clint not being able to do either.

again I'm not disagreeing with you at all. but then again I don't think you were disagreeing with my original point either lol. which was, too many scorers in a lineup isn't a bad thing in today's NBA, unless those players are selfish. otherwise the more playmaking the better, again assuming a baseline of 4-out offense with at least 4 switchable defenders as well.

Easy and saleem like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My exact view too.

smoothie likes this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

That GSW had 3 of the best shooters in NBA history. GSW's strength is shooting more than ball handling or playmaking. The Rox lost not because nobody can pass, it's cuz they missed like 20+ 3 pointers in a row. That's shooting not playmaking, the Rox players were able to get their shots off it just didn't go in.

Shooting is more important than playmaking in the NBA.

Mavs = 1 playmaker, 4 shooters -> WCF
    OKC Thunder = 3 playmakers, 1 shooter -> bottom 3 in the NBA

Klay Thompson = can only shoot, can't playmake -> Multi Allstar and Multi Champion
    Ben Simmons = can only playmake, can't shoot -> Bum

If you can shoot you are generating space which acts like playmaking cuz it makes it easier for your teammates to score. If you can only playmake but can't shoot, opponents will either freeze you our or load up on your teammates and dare you to shoot. That in turns negates your ability to playmake.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Amen. Smith>Banchero.

roslolian likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I didn't argue that shooting wasn't more important. again I'm a jabari guy over banchero for that reason. however, my point was that having mutiple playmakers in a lineup is not a bad thing. never said anything about playmakers who can't shoot. of course you need shooting and versatile defenders.

I think the old adage of "you're going to need 2 basketballs" just because you have 3-4 guys who can dribble and pass doesn't apply today.

all that being said I still feel if ariza and PJ were able to put the ball on the floor to attack closeouts they wouldn't have missed 27 threes in a row, because they'd run off the line and make something else happen. score at the rim, get fouled, bend the defense and find another open shooter. lots more can happen when you can dribble and pass. they couldn't so they took one contested 3 after the next. the warriors had better shooters AND more (not better) playmakers to get those shooters good looks and to continue to bend the defense after a good rotation/recovery until someone was open. they were also allowed to set moving screens.

r-fan-since-81 and roslolian like this.
  12. Spooner

Spooner Member

Rather simplistic. GSW has an elite play maker in the post with Draymond. If it weren’t for him, Klay and Steph would never get the looks they got off of screens, pin downs and any other off ball movement. Green attacking and kicking out to shooters is not really his forte. KPJ is a great off ball shooter but not the most willing passer. If we want to unlock green and KPJ they need to be paired with a playmaker and a passing big like a Draymond would be highly effective with the kind of sets you can run. If you want to be like GSW, Paolo would be the guy and would allow for off all movement from KPJ and Green. I think Chet can do a little of this as well. Jabari is pretty limited (terrible) as a playmaker. Assuming your top pick has the potential to be the best player on your team are you really ok with your best player not being able to make plays? Like how is he going to deal with double teams and traps? Provided you can’t rely on Jabari to turn KPJ and Green into Steph/Klay roles, you can’t run GSW offense with him. If you make Sengun the playmaker, who is setting screens and who is the roll man? Jabari? The dude shot 14% at the rim and we expect it to be easier to score inside at the NBA level? I can’t see how Jabari makes you more like GSW other than his shooting and even then the scheme would be drastically different and I don’t believe we would be properly utilizing Green among others to their best role. Maybe you can say Jabari is Andrew Wiggins for GSW. A guy who defends at an elite level and is a prolific scorer. Even then, Wiggins is not nearly as important as Draymond in that scheme.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

Not to be rude, but its almost as if you have no idea how GSW offense works. Read my above post. You are talking about GSW and failed to mention Draymond Green who unlocks the entire offense. How exactly has Draymond's poor shooting negated his ability to playmake? GSW are good because they have good shooters. This entire argument is so simplistic it makes my head hurt.

Like who is generating offense for the Rockets if Jabari is the pick? What system are you playing because it sure as hell won't be GSW system and is that the best system to maximize the talent of your players?

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I can see the offensive similarity.

But this is a different era of NBA basketball - spacing concerns are real.

And both players were better paint defenders than Banchero-Sengun.

Some have been saying this for years but these playoffs have confirmed to us that inability to switch means little to zero play time.

groovemachine likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Paolo is not Draymond.

roslolian likes this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Member

I agree and I'm certainly not claiming he is. Green is at his best coming off screens and pin downs. If we want to maximize his talent we need a playmaker. To talk about GSW as a blueprint and not even bring up Draymond and then say thats why Jabari fits is just weird. Draymond is a 4 and our choices are between 3 4's. Jabari would be the worst of the 3 in that role offensively. He's miles behind Paolo and Chet with playmaking and it is a legitimate concern. I'm having trouble understanding what the offense is if we draft Jabari and Eason. Don't get me wrong I love both players and I really hope we get Eason but the dude averaged close to 4 to's per 36. What is the offense? Green penetrating and kicking to shooters? We are forcing him to play a role that doesn't properly utilize his strengths. Would it just be spacing and pick and roll with Sengun as the roll man? Is that maximizing Green? Don't we want to put our best player in a role that maximizes his strengths?

D-rock likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

1) Chet
    2). Jabari
    3). Paolo
    4). Ivey
    5). Murray
    6). Sharpe
    7). Dyson Daniels
    8). Davis
    9). Matherin
    10). Griffen
    11). Mark Williams
    12). Duren
    13). Sochan

pretty sure these guys are all going before #17

Do EJ Ladell and Tari Eason go before #17?

Fullcourt likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I still believe Rockets should trade for Hawks point forward Jalen Johnson who can also provide secondary playmaking as well or better.

Same size as Paolo Banchero but had better 3P% but more importantly is switchable 1-5, better disruptor, better rebounder and much better rim protector.

Johnson also has eye popping verticality and plays at breakneck pace in transition.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=paolo-banchero--jalen-johnson

Easy and Spooner like this.
  19. Spooner

Spooner Member

I'd actually overpay for him before he becomes a valuable commodity in the NBA. He'd be a perfect fit. He was firmly in my top 10 last year and its just remarkable how far he fell in the draft. Draft Jabari and trade for Jalen Johnson and I will gladly roll with that.

#319 Spooner, May 28, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  20. Spooner

Spooner Member

If they are gone by #17 I wouldn't mind reaching for Marjon Beauchamp. He has upside to be a pretty interesting player and was also a prolific scorer at JUCO. He played with a lot of scoring guards last year which limited his role a bit. Stone loves those guys who get out in transition. I really like Beauchamp's defense and he did it at the pro level. He's also a very good athlete. Maybe he sucks though and he's Danuel House with a worse J. I like that list, I have a feeling someone reaches for Jaden Hardy in the lottery...

D-rock, j@amc and Aruba77 like this.