1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lesser-known music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vj23k, May 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

This is a thread that I would like to keep going where you can post unknown artists.

Name the genre, and maybe a couple of other better-known artists that your artist is similar to.

I can only think of one off of the top of my head:

The Products G and B. R&B/Hip-Hop. Similar to Carl Thomas, R Kelly.

They were the ones singing in Santanna's "Maria Maria"

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

2. Steve_Francis_rules

Rap - Dead Prez, in their own words they're 'somewhere between Public Enemy and NWA'

------------------

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

One of my new favorites: <a href="http://www.devonmusic.com">Devon</a>

Some other greats:

<a href="http://www.thesamples.com">The Samples</a>
    <a href="http://www.flecktones.com">Bela Fleck and the Flecktones</a>
    <a href="http://www.guster.com">Guster</a>
    <a href="http://www.agentsofgoodroots.com">Agents of Good Roots</a>
    <a href="http://www.benharper.net">Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals</a>

------------------
    "Down South is where I stay, switch four lanes, . . . from the Antoine to the MLK, these H-Town boys like to swang and bang"
    - Mista Madd feat. Yungstar and Slim Thug - "Down South"

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am a huge fran of Progressive Metal. It is not well received in the US, but is quite popular in Europe.

I feel the best Prog. Metal band is Dream Theater, followed by Spock's Beard.

A popular band that you can go by is Rush. They are considered prog. metal, even though their music is a very bland version of it. I suggest everyone check some prog. metal out! [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'm just a poster, and I want a piece of everyone's ass."
    HeyPartner

And the truth shall set you free...

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Here's a lesser-known genre for ya:

http://www.minibosses.com/

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I LOVE this category! [​IMG]

Jellyfish - many of us know them - Beatles/Beach Boys-esqe pop

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - awesome banjo fusion jazz

Maggie's Dream - former back up band for Lenny Kravitz

Wendy and Lisa - Prince band alumnis

Baby Animals - cool former Austrailian hard rock band

Animal Logic - Stewart Copeland and Stanley Clarke with a female singer/songwriter

Nuclear Valdez - folksy pop rock from NYC

T Ride - Former student of Joe Satriani, Jeff Tyson, with two guys doing a hard rock meets Queen thing

Awful Truth - before Kings X, there was Awful Truth - rhythm section goes on to Galactic Cowboys

Niacin - B3, bass and drums featuring Billy Sheehan

Ten Hands - former Denton, TX band - Peter Gabriel meets Frank Zappa

Arc Angels - Charlie Sexton and blues guitarist Doyle Brammel Jr with Stevie Ray Vaughn's rhythm section

David Rice - great local Houston folk/pop singer/songwriter with unfortunate work habits

Pursuit of Happiness - awesome Canadian straight up rock band a la the Smithereens

Danny Wilde - co-founder of the Rembrandts (theme song from Friends) who had a great career before that band and still sounds great

PM Dawn - smooth early psychadelic trip hop band

Michael Manring - terrific new age/fusion bassist in the vein of Jaco Pastorius

George Winston - legendary solo new wave pianist - his album December is a classic

Brother Cane - really cool bluesy hard rock band - just ask Brian Kagy! [​IMG]

Juliana Hatfield - alt.rock female singer/songwriter

Chris Whitley - maybe the coolest southern acoustic singer/songwriter - slide and dobro pop

Jonatha Brooke - great female singer/songwriter that should be as well known as Alanis Moirsette or Sarah McLaughlin

Athaneum - straight up pop rock with a touch of Smithereens or Toad the Wet Sprocket

Andy Taylor - former Duran Duran and Power Station guitarist who actually had a couple great records on his own

Blue Murder - John Sykes of Whitesnake project with Carmine Appice and Tony Franklin (The Firm)

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Appice's name jumped off the screen at me.

The man is a legend.

http://www.carmineappice.net/carmine/history.html

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've never been a fan of Appice as a drummer. Frankly, he's overrated as a player. But, I've met him (drove him all over town) and he is a SUPER nice guy despite some reports about his ego. Great guy.

------------------
    The internet is about the free exchange and sale of other people's ideas. - Futurama

9. GarageMan

GarageMan Member

Most of these bands are australian punk rock outfits, but i didnt notice any other top aussies on the list....

Frenzal Rhomb
    Grinspoon
    Jebediah
    28 Days
    John Butler Trio
    Klinger
    Bodyjar
    Loki
    Motorace
    Groove Terminator
    Jeff Buckley
    Lash
    Lazy Susan
    Sonic Animation
    Alex Lloyd

vengeance - ben harper isnt a big star in the states? what goes on? the man is a genius and always is well anticipated when he tours australia.

------------------

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Ben Harper is a star, but in an uknown sort of way . . . if you know music, you know Ben Harper, but most people don't know any music that's not top 20 and on the radio all the time, so they don't have a clue . . .

------------------
    "Down South is where I stay, switch four lanes, . . . from the Antoine to the MLK, these H-Town boys like to swang and bang"
    - Mista Madd feat. Yungstar and Slim Thug - "Down South"

11. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

John Frusciante

------------------

12. 34dream

34dream Member

Frusciante's new CD would be very good, if he wouldn't sing... [​IMG]

------------------

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Ben Harper is in the same popularity category as Jeff Buckley. They have underground followings but aren't really well-known by any stretch.

------------------

14. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

I hear that a lot (the great guy part). Agreed on him not being a "great" drummer, but it's not like he's bad or anything.

Anyone who saw VH1's "Bands On The Run" now knows the Josh Dodes Band. They are my new favorite band. Kind of Ben Folds Five with more funk and soul. I seriously suggest you all check them out. I bought their CD on May 3rd. I actually wore a grove into it from listening to it so much that I had to get a 2nd one the next week. By far one of my favorite CD's of all time.

<a href="http://www.joshdodesband.com/">Josh Dodes Band</a>.

Another one I've recently been introduced to is Liquid Soul. There isn't really any way to describe them. They play everything, from funk, rap, various latin's, swing, jazz, everything. Definately worth a shot to check them out.

<a href="http://www.liquidsoul.com">Liquid Soul</a>

------------------
    Nuggets4
    Today the Nuggets announced that Dan Issel would be back as head coach next season. In related news, the NBA announced that the Nuggets have been mathematically eliminated from the 2002 NBA playoffs already.

15. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

For rockish punk type stuff, there's nothing but Ultimate Fakebook. I saw 'em live in Philly opening for Good Charlotte and MxPx, and they're so freaking awesome; the cd "Electric Kissing Parties" doesn't have one bad song. It's nowhere near hardcore punk; it's poppier, but very cool.

www.ultimatefakebook.com

------------------
    "I don't want to join a club that accepts people like me as members."

[This message has been edited by Zac D (edited May 26, 2001).]

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Is there a drummer in the same genre(s) as Appice who is underrated?

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yeah, there are a few. For 70's rock and that era, Russ Kunkel, Larry Keltner and Ian Pace would rate as underrated.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited May 26, 2001).]

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Good grief, those guys are killer!!! Thanks for mentioning them. It sounds like a cross between Bruce Hornsby, Elvis Costello and Randy Newman. I gotta get that CD! [​IMG]

------------------

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Geez, another one or two to buy. [​IMG]

------------------

20. ScreamingRocketJet