1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leslie Alexander: Rockets plan 'to bring in a terrific free agent', will 'be a lot better' next seas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 5, 2014.

1. Convictedstupid

Yes it does.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No player is going to say he wants to split up the group and bring in a star for the other guys.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well then we can forget about that. I still stand by my prediction that the 2014-15 roster will be mostly like this year's. Just a few minor tweaks.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Yes and no. Split up? Hell no. But players have said before stuff like "we are one guy away" or "we need one more star to take us to the next level". Players aren't shy about bringing in another guy, in much the same way Parsons and Harden weren't shy about bringing in Howard.

5. Convictedstupid

May also be worth mentioning that Rockets will have the full MLE available rather than the tax payers MLE.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Rockets can dump Asik and Lin to a team(s) with cap space to create the cap room THIS summer. Asik they could dump in a positive way, perhaps with a pick coming back. That same pick might have to be attached to Lin to take on his contract plus 3MM cash going out to cover some of that contract.

I mean, the idea with Melo, was that the Rockets could create the room (or threat to create the room) to sign him or else do a S&T with the Knicks for some sort of Lin/Asik package.

7. count_dough-ku

Two questions. How much is the full MLE? And can it be combined with cap space from moving Asik and Lin?

8. Convictedstupid

CBAFAQ has it around 5.35 million for the first year starting in 2014-15 and no, it cannot be combined with other cap space.

If we somehow traded Asik and Lin for nothing, I believe we would be too far under the cap to get the Full MLE as well. MLE was put in place so teams with little cap space and that are far enough under the tax threshold could offer more money than the vet min.

(I think, Bima would obviously know more).

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhh... Les isn't looking at the cap sheet from 2013 is he?

Look... you take it with a grain of salt. Of course he's going to want to tell something to get people excited about the future, and we know they are going to pursue a big name one way or another.

As for a deal being done under the table already for Lin/Asik.... no way. Maybe Morey has told Les that there are several "potential ways" to move both guys but I wouldn't think any GM in the league would be committing to ANY deal right now for Asik & Lin before they have the next couple months to figure out their roster situation as it relates to their draft situation, and whatnot.

NOTHING will happen before the lottery comes out, and there really isn't much of a point of GM's talking other than just to start potential conversations about potential deals.

10. count_dough-ku

That sucks. It would be awesome to have both if Asik and Lin can be moved. Then you could possibly bring in Melo AND another player(probably a backup guard to replace Lin).

That being said, I still think Melo isn't the answer. The Rockets didn't lose to the Blazers because they couldn't score enough points(except for maybe Game 2).

11. Convictedstupid

If Melo is SnT'd for Asik/Lin/Filler than I believe we would still get use of the Full MLE.

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

The Return of Kyle Lowry

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Rajon Rondo.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets dump Asik/Lin to create cap space, correct that would remove the MLE option. But then again, if the Rockets are making this move, they are gaining a transformative player and it is worth it.

They can always add more talent via draft and other trades.

If the Rockets can TRADE Asik/Lin for that transformative player, they don't go below the cap and thus will have the MLE. So that probably would be the preferred route.

Bima, correct me if I am wrong.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know.

What does Les mean by "cap space"?

Cap space means we'll be under the cap. We aren't. But will we be?

Or by cap space is he referencing the full MLE?

5 million dollars a year can't really buy a "terrific" free agent. Either Les is blowing smoke to keep a deflated fanbase (not to mention season ticket holders) interested, or there's a deal already agreed to in principle that can't happen until later.

Pointless aside: I remember one of our so-called insiders (son or friend of Berman, as a matter of fact) during the Rondo hysteria talked about our higher-ups all happy when a meeting broke, as if some deal was agreed to.

Of course, doesn't mean we'll get Rondo. Or Melo. Or that the meeting ever took place, that someone was shining our insider on.

We can find teams for Lin and Asik, I'm sure. But at what additional cost?

Morey has been perfectly willing to flush 2nd- and 3rd-rate players for cap room. And plenty of draft picks are available (albeit not very sexy picks).

Congrats, Les: you at least got me interested!

But it doesn't remove the stench of the 2013-14 playoffs.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What team wants to spend their cap space on Lin and Asik when you have Carmelo Anthony et al on the FA block?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is not that simple. As a FA Carmelo can go anywhere. Teams that are crap destinations (Utah/Minny/Milwaukee) have to look at other players.

18. count_dough-ku

The only way to trade for Melo is if he goes to Phil and tells him he's going to the Rockets no matter what and essentially forces them to take back Asik and Lin. I don't see that happening though. What if Phil calls Melo's bluff?

19. pips

pips Member

a team that has no chance at carmelo anthony

20. Nook

Nook Member

You want the players to think that they have enough in the locker room to get it done. It shows that the players are confident, developing together and taking accountability.

You want the front office to look for ways to improve.

I have no problem with this split at all.....

I do wish Alexander wouldn't come out and say the Rockets are getting a big free agent.... basically undermines what Morey said, and now Lin and Asik and Jones all are wondering what their position or future with the Rockets is.