1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Leslie Alexander: Rockets plan 'to bring in a terrific free agent', will 'be a lot better' next seas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 5, 2014.

1. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I'm afraid Rockets fans are in denial. Portland is a better team this year. They have players who have played together extensively, they have had maybe the lowest changes to the starting 5 in the league.

We need to grow a little more together, and Morey has to do that thing he does so well. So many fair weather fans ready to give up.

Ok we blew the first round in a lack of coming out strong. Ok McHale blew it by not putting Asik on Aldridge in at the least the second half of the first game. Our defense was weak.

I really believe these are address-able. We will get better.

2. Rox7

Rox7 Member

This FO has no glue what their real problem is.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Maybe I'm just being a shameless homer, but I just don't agree. Portland without question was executing better and was VASTLY better coached, sure, but even with that, the Rockets were in every single game, and most they were in control of late but let it slip away. I think it was pretty obvious that Houston was playing below themselves (especially Harden) while Portland was playing above themselves.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Um, no. The Blazers had the lead in 35% of the minutes in the series and were down by double digits in every game, while never having a double digit lead on the Rockets. And this is with aldridge and lillard playing above their norm and Harden played below his usual production. The better team lost the series because the Rockets don't know how to close out games.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They understand the problem perfectly: the team is not terrific enough.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

Great post man! I'm not sure if I agree that Portland is the better team talent-wise, but they are definitely the more cohesive and familiar unit. I think TNT showed a stat for most games together by a starting 5, and Portland was at the top of it. We had new guys in the system, injuries, and a clueless head coach who didn't know how to adjust or maximize his players' abilities. It just hurts to know that we need a 3rd star AND THEN SOME to overcome McHale's deficiencies.

7. houtown

houtown Member

A top free agent isn't going to get this team to the promise land. This team needs a way manage talent. The way Morey works around having McHale as his head coach is key.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

the team has no glue and they have no clue

9. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

a right system and right coach is 1000x better than a whoknowsiftheywillfitstar

10. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

yeah and not playing harder enuf.:rolleyes:

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm afraid you are in denial. not only about mchale being incapable of ever leading an nba team to the finals, but also about people pissed off with the rockets for keeping him. look at the poll in which 88% of clutchfans want him gone. 88% of posters here are NOT 'fair weather fans'.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

What this team needs is more cowbell.

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Glue guy = Shane Battier?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He isn't going to cut it. Our problems are deeper than that. We need more talent, stronger/more experienced players,better coaching and time.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Unfortunately, Shane is closer to the glue factory than the glue guy at this point in his career. Still fine is stretches but not a guy you can count on regularly.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But other than that, we're pretty solid.

17. Rokman

Rokman Member

:grin: LOL, so true!

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Haven't read the thread, but can't believe anyone would dispute this. The Rockets have one advantage over them, Harden. Everywhere else Portland has the edge or is equal (like Howard and LMA). The difference is that Portland has the luxury of having an elite player on a rookie contract, which allows them to pay more for their role players. Even with that going on, the Rockets could have tried to improve their team and overcome this discrepancy this year but chose not to. Had they done anything at all, they probably would have won the series, or more likely not even played Portland in the first round.

19. BlastOff!

BlastOff! Member

I'm not sold on a "terrific" free agent being the answer. Who is this "terrific" free agent anyways? Melo, who kills the entire offense and holds onto the ball way to long so he can get his 30 PPG?

20. imaginedragons

agree. especially if your current "stars" have not shown any leadership qualities, the coach has to be the one to show the way.