1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!
Tags:
  1. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

The Hawks have at least 2 centers that no one is pissed at; why can they afford to sign Leon? We have Cato (who plays occasionally), Willis (who plays once in a while), and Collier (who never plays).

Couldn't or shouldn't the Rockets have stuck their necks out a bit on this one?

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I am happy that he got the shot and hopefully the support around him is sufficient to keep him steady.

I know we have a bunch of young people but if this guy is this good I would have preferred we take first try. I wondered, in earlier posts, whether we were able to add 10 day contract seeing that we had 15 players on the roster.

3. TexasG

TexasG Member

First, he won't be that good at the NBA level (at least not yet). Samaki Walker could go to the CBA, and average 15 rpg.

Second, one of the players on your active 12 man roster would have to be either cut or placed on the IL.

4. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

TexG, are you saying that we have no room on the overall roster at the moment, so we could not have signed him. So to get him we would have had to cut somebody? If that is the case then I can understand the hesitation, if there was any. It is a mute point if he cannot play at the NBA level. But if he could play then I would have cut Brown, despite him having a contract for the remainder of the season.

5. TexasG

TexasG Member

Yup. You are allowed 15 players on your roster but only 12 active players. In order to sign someone to a 10 day contract one of those spots has to be open, and since the player is only going to be there for 10 days he needs to play. So not only do you have to have room on your roster you also have to have playing time for him. If you chose not to play him then why sign him, you would be basically giving the man all that money for nothing. Every team is also able to sign the same player to two 10 day contracts.

6. jshabang

jshabang Member

Hey Guys,

I was just on 6'10' HAS BEENS.COM and I saw that Roy Tarpley is averaging 35 rebounds a game in a division Double Z intramural league!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just 2 wayed and emailed his agents number to Rudy and CD

;)

7. booshan

booshan Contributing Member

We missed the boat on Leon Smith. Just like we missed the boat on Rashard Lewis. I for one am tired of this. Someone was going to take another chance on Leon Smith - why not us?:mad: