1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tags:
  1. FranchiseBoi86

I was looking at www.realgm.com and it didn't mention the Rockets asking for Leon Smith. He is everything we need in a center, and we already took a chance in attitude problems with Eddie. Why can't we take another chance with Leon. I looked at his game statistics on www.proexposure.com and he's been tearing it up with 20+ rebounds a game. He would provide the much needed rebounding in the center position. Someone please tell me why we are not after this guy

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

To compare Eddie as a problem child to Leon is unfair. Eddie got into a clubhouse fight. What else has he done. Leon has been in and out of juvenile homes and was a ward of the state of chicago. He got cought painted all green and talking jiberish to the police. He tried threw a brick into his ex girlfriends car. He refused to take orders from Donnie Nelson during training camp his rookie year. Please do not compare Leons brain pan to Eddies. Eddies immaturity was obviously more myth than fact.

Having said that I too would like to see the Rockets extend Leon a 10 day contract.

3. FranchiseBoi86

It was just that the Rockets took a chance on Eddie with his age and the little attitude problem that is no problem right now. I would just like to see the Rockets take a chance with Leon, a 10 day contract won't hurt anybody.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

If you give a player a 10 day contract, its good to play him. Seeing that we are healthy up front, i don't think he'll get any minutes. After the second 10 day contract, the player is signed for the remainder of the season. I think everyone, except for a child molester, rapist, or muderer deserves a second chance.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

he might be useful to fire up cato

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Cato already has 42 million reasons to get fired up. It just ain't gonna happen.

Oh yeah, forgot to add.....SHORTEN THAT STUPID SIGNATURE!!!

;)

7. jshabang

jshabang Member

Yeah............................What he said:D

8. Sane

Sane Member

Leon Smith is a barely 6'10 PF. He can't play C. People will realize this once they see him play.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And how much have you seen him play? There have been some pretty dominant 6'10" centers.

10. FranchiseBoi86

The only reason why Leon is not in the NBA dominating is because of his attitude problems.

11. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Too Late. I just recently heard that he was signed to a 10 day contract by the Atlanta Hawks. Don't have a link right now though.

12. drpepper

drpepper Member

The guy throws furniture in the lockerroom when he gets taken out of games too soon. The guy has issues.

13. jshabang

jshabang Member

Its one thing to take a chance on attitude, its another to take a chance on borderline serial killers:eek:

I don't know about you guys but some of the stories i heard on this guy has me still scared to leave the crib!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

If Atlanta did sign him then we made a mistake. Simple.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Leon throws furniture in the Hawk's locker room, Atlanta made a mistake. Simple.

16. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I happen to believe that he has turn the corner. My only concern is whether he is good or not!

17. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

why not just bolt down the furniture?

18. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Excellent idea.

They could also keep in in a padded cell between games.

Leon "The Gimp" Smith - I bet Shaq wouldn't take a swing at that kid after a hard foul.

19. Old School

Old School Member

From the Hawks site:

Hawks Sign Smith to 10-Day Contract

January 14, 2001

The Atlanta Hawks have signed forward Leon Smith to a ten-day contract today, it was announced by VP/GM Pete Babcock.

Smith comes to the Hawks from the CBA's Gary (Ind.) Steelheads, where he averaged 18.0 points and a league-high 15.3 rebounds. He saw action in 19 games with the Steelheads and four with the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Skyforce, and led the league with 18 double-doubles, including a 24-point, 24-rebound effort against the Dakota (N.D.) Wizards on December 11.

A first-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs in the 1999 NBA Draft, Smith was traded to the Dallas Mavericks on June 30, 1999 for the draft rights to Gordon Giricek and a second-round pick in the 2000 Draft. He was released by the Mavericks on February 4, 2000.

Smith will wear number 41.

Smith's comments following first practice:
    "I think I can bring my experience to help this team. I feel grateful (to have another opportunity at the NBA). I feel thankful to all the folks that helped me get back where I am now. I'm just happy for this opportunity. Hopefully I can make the best of it."

(On still only being 21 years old): "I think about that a lot. But at the same time a guy has to be responsible for what he does at some point in his life. I choose to start now."

"My coaching (in the CBA) was great. I had coaches that listened to the players. I had player's coaches. That's what I'm kind of looking for here. I know what to expect. I just want to come in and do my best and really impress the coaches...and at the same time, build kind of a relationship with the players."

"I need to work on everything in regards to my game. Whether I'm at the professional level or any level. You still have to work on the fundamentals, the basics, just to keep your craft solid and complete. I learned a lot from Bernie Bickerstaff. He's a good guy and he really helped me during my first couple of years in the pros. I always wish him the best also."

"(Strengths as a player): I'm strong. I'm not Hercules or anything. And I've got game. I just need an opportunity to display it. But at the same time, I know the issue is being able to cope with what's going to happen and being able to deal with what comes along with it."

"All the people that believe I deserve a chance, they should. If a person wants to fault me, I'm fine with that too. But, like I said, I'm going to take advantage of my opportunities. I'm just grateful to be able to be here and take the next ten days or however long I'm here and use them as a tool and just keep moving on."

"I'm here now to do my best, give 110 percent, and come out every day and provide energy during practice. Whether I stay here (long-term) or not, I want to make sure that the guys work hard around me and make sure that I display a positive attitude around them."

20. TexasG

TexasG Member

First of all Leon is averaging 17ppg, and just over 15 rpg. Not quite 20 rebounds per game but still very good.

He did sign a 10 day contract with Altanta. His first NBA game is scheduled against the MAVS later this week. As far as being a center, he could but he would be undersized. He's the perfect size to be a PF though.

Being a MAVS fan I have tried to follow his career since he was drafted by the MAVS. The problem with Leon hasn't really been his attitude as much as it's been his mental stability (or lack there of). He has a tendency to go through severe bouts of depression, very similar to someone who is bi-polar. He hasn't be diagnosed as being bi-polar but he's not far off. His CBA coach has said that he's easily the best player on the team but he needs to work on his professionalism. If he were to join the Rockets he may go out, and get 10-15 boards a night but I have a feeling that if he were to be subbed in a game for Griffen, then Griff may need to watch his back for the remainder of the year. This kid does not take to kindly to being taken out of a game.