1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Leon Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shot caller, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

I know he has had a lot of trouble in the past, but he seems to be doing well enough now. Form an article form the Mavs home page on ESPN.

Playing these days in the CBA, the 21-year-old Smith is averaging 17.8 points and 15.9 rebounds per game for the Gary (Ind.) Steelheads. He's 6-foot-11, 250 pounds. Stein reports Steelheads coach Barry Stevens says Smith has been "easygoing". Says Stevens: "Let's be real. If Dallas made a mistake, it made it from a personality standpoint, not a talent standpoint. Don Nelson knows talent. Some of those other things are just difficult to trace

We would let Willis go in the off-season and Smith would be our backup C. When Cato's vagina inevitably starts to hurt next season, he can start for a stretch with Griff backing him up.

Front Court:
    Cato
    Griffin
    Taylor
    Smith

More info on Smith:
    CBA season-high 30 rebounds on Dec. 21 in a win over Sioux Falls and averaged a league-high 21.5 rebounds last week. That effort earned the 6-foot-10 center CBA American Conference Player of the Week for the week of Dec. 16-22.

Smith’s 30 rebounds is the fourth highest single-game total in CBA history. Smith, 21, also averaged 18.5 points, 1.25 blocked shots and 1.5 assists per game in helping the Steelheads to a 2-2 mark.

What do ya think. Yeah, he is a risk, but he is a cheap risk.
    Thomas (if he is still here)

2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Is he really a center?? I recall him playing power forward. Either way I think it would be a good risk to take for the Rockets.

3. BDJ

BDJ Member

Is he any crazier than Vernon Maxwell?

4. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

He is the starting cener for his CBA team this seson. He is the only C listed on their roster actually.

5. Shot caller

Shot caller Member

Sorry for for screwing up my initial post.:confused:

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The more I read about him the more I would like for the Rockets to take a chance on this guy. He is no risk and if he works out then we would have our starting front court for the next 15 years if everyone stayed healthy and out of trouble.

7. FranchiseBoi86

I heard the team that takes him has him for 3 years guaranteed. Is this true?

8. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

The vagina part was funny shotcaller.

LOL

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why would that be true?

10. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

I agree, sign him to a ten day contract and see what he has. He could hang out with Eddie. Close to the same age, could help him out. Besides, Steve would probably love to throw lobs to him. I am pretty sure that he doesn't have a guaranteed contract since he is playing in the CBA.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He was actually drafted by SA and then traded to Dall. I think since he was drafted in the 1st rd, his money is guaranteed. Is he 21 already? He was just in the draft 2 yrs ago, but i guess thats right. They said he was emotionally un stable which could be cause by his orphanaged upbringing. Its a risk, but I don't see it as a very huge risk. Sometimes guys like that mature and be very hungry. He couldn't be much worse than the 2 we have now. Does anyone realize Collier was a lotto pick and haven't played in 2 seasons. :confused:

12. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

He couldn't be much worse than the 2 we have now. Does anyone realize Collier was a lotto pick and haven't played in 2 seasons

I couldn't have said it better.

Collier is making 1st round money, even if he... ok, I don't think he is ever going to pan out. He can shoot the outside shot.... can't shoot free throws.... post game???? I think he was drafted because of his outside shot that would draw the other centers away from the basket. Leon has a better chance of blocking shots then Collier has. Collier not much of a threat on "D", not athletic enough.

13. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Collier was not a lotto pick. Get yo facts straight. Would you rather have Collier and Griffin, or Prybilla?

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

CM, you're right I'd rather have Griffin instead. I guess Pryzbilla was a lotto.

15. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

Sorry I don't know how to do the
    Originally posted by: So I just copied and pasted. KT was the last lotto pick, I may be wrong.

I stated that Houston is paying 1st round money for someone that hasn't played a lick. That is a fact.

Since this was orginally a Leon Smith thread and not the b.s. about whatever thread.... I still say give him a 10 day contract, play him and see what he can do. :p

16. pecosbill

pecosbill Member

My mistake, KT wasn't a Lotto Pick.

However, the reason why we have Collier who hasn't played a lick, is due to a lotto pick.

I do believe that is a fact.:p

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Smith's numbers are impressive. Some NBA team will probably give him a 10 day trial shot. I bet not a few NBA teams who are interested in his talents will not even consider signing him due to his previous psychological problems.

The question that the Rocks must answer is whether Smith if he became a permanent part of the team would run with the wrong crowd and take down other team members with him when he crashes and burns.

Smith's previous problems may lessen as he becomes mature, so there is some hope for him playing in the NBA someday. This is the upside. The downside is that his problems may never go away, even if he matures.

18. knifejc

knifejc Member

I would like to see the guy given a shot. On the court he can't be much worse than Cato. But i guess those off the court problems he's had in the past my still come back to haunt him, and the Rockets.:(

19. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

20. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Just release Collier and sign this guy to a ten day. IIRC, we have 15 guys on the roster including the three on the IR so we have to drop someone somehow in order to add somebody.